Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2020, 03:13 AM   #41
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: What point value would you give to an advantage which lets you create manastones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Wild advantages are inherently not associated with a power source (I'm not even certain what it would mean for it to have one but not be part of a power thematically speaking).
Wildcard Magery comes to mind as a wild advantage inherently associated with a power source (Magical)

Power Investiture is another (Divine)

Quote:
The origin doesn't matter to mechanics and that's good.
Wildcard Magery is again an oddball in this as unlike other powers it uses the Ritual Magic mechanics rather than the traditional power mechanics.

Power Investiture similarly doesn't follow the traditional power mechanics
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #42
kirbwarrior

Default Re: What point value would you give to an advantage which lets you create manastones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Wildcard Magery is again an oddball in this as unlike other powers it uses the Ritual Magic mechanics rather than the traditional power mechanics.

Power Investiture similarly doesn't follow the traditional power mechanics
There are always exceptions ;) I think certain advantages have a built in power source. I remember someone or somewhere breaking down Power Investiture and how it 'gets' a pact limitation. And skills in particular don't take power modifiers since the skill itself is mundane but what you do with the skill is supernatural (which is especially relevant to something like Magic! which has mostly supernatural skills but a handful of mundane skills)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #43
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
There are always exceptions ;) I think certain advantages have a built in power source. I remember someone or somewhere breaking down Power Investiture and how it 'gets' a pact limitation. And skills in particular don't take power modifiers since the skill itself is mundane but what you do with the skill is supernatural (which is especially relevant to something like Magic! which has mostly supernatural skills but a handful of mundane skills)

Power Investiture's breakdown appears in GURPS Thaumatology pg 67

The full breakdown is

Power Investiture: Magery (Functions as a Different Talent ±0%; Sanctity Replaces Mana: ±0%; No Zero-Level Requirement +10%; Inspired Learning +20%; No Spell Prerequisites +30%; Pact -10%; No Magic Item Sensitivity -20%; Limited spell list -30%)

I should mention that Wildcard Magery is an oddball even by wildcard standards as it is the only time where Magery actually adds to wildcard spells.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 09-27-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:27 PM   #44
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Power Investiture's breakdown appears in GURPS Thaumatology pg 67

The full breakdown is

Power Investiture: Magery (Functions as a Different Talent ±0%; Sanctity Replaces Mana: ±0%; No Zero-Level Requirement +10%; Inspired Learning +20%; No Spell Prerequisites +30%; Pact -10%; No Magic Item Sensitivity -20%; Limited spell list -30%)
Thanks! Interesting, it never occurred to me (but I knew each individually) that it has to worry about both mana (sanctity) and pact.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #45
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Thanks! Interesting, it never occurred to me (but I knew each individually) that it has to worry about both mana (sanctity) and pact.
Another implied variant appears in GURPS Powers pg 181.

It basically is Magery (Functions as a Different Talent ±0%; Psionics Replaces Mana: ±0%) with the following possible adjustments:

* stopped or negated by anti-psi powers: -5%
* brief incantations, make small “casting” gestures, and have “spell components” to hand required: -10%
Old 09-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #46
Plane

Quote:
Powers p179 "Source and origin are not the same thing".
I know, I'm just saying the way Origin is written about in P179 seems to differ from the way it was written about in Basic, which seemed to imply source-like functionality.

Quote:
And your second line was my point, the wings' origin was magic but that doesn't mean they function the same way "spells" do (advantages with magic as a source). They are related to magic and there might even be leftover magic on the person that can be detected (maybe a silly quirk "Flags as a wizard").
If they're related to magic this could mean that Neutralize/Static could work against them (GM decision) even without being a power (being 'wild' advantages without any modifiers whatsoever) based on how we read the box
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #47
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I know, I'm just saying the way Origin is written about in P179 seems to differ from the way it was written about in Basic, which seemed to imply source-like functionality.
Oh I read it the other way around that sources didn't seem to yet exist in Basic. P34 even differentiates 'mana sensitive' traits.

Quote:
If they're related to magic this could mean that Neutralize/Static could work against them (GM decision) even without being a power (being 'wild' advantages without any modifiers whatsoever) based on how we read the box
That definitely sounds like an antagonistic GM to look for ways to punish the player with a limitation they don't have.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #48
Plane

Quote:
sounds like an antagonistic GM to look for ways to punish the player with a limitation they don't have.
Like treating Mana-Sensitive attacks also also having Environmental:Mana so targets in No Mana zones can't be hit?
Old 09-28-2020, 11:02 PM   #49
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Like treating Mana-Sensitive attacks also also having Environmental:Mana so targets in No Mana zones can't be hit?
Wow, that is a great point. I'm going to have players put Environmental on spell powers that can't work on targets in NMZ. That can help differentiate Missile spells that create an object that can pass into NMZ but can't be created in it. (Because Mana is so common I don't imagine it being any more than -5%).
Old 09-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #50
Plane

Quote:
Wow, that is a great point. I'm going to have players put Environmental on spell powers that can't work on targets in NMZ. That can help differentiate Missile spells that create an object that can pass into NMZ but can't be created in it. (Because Mana is so common I don't imagine it being any more than -5%).
M152/M160 calls Mana "common" for zombies/liches/wraiths so possibly -10% since -5% is for Very Common.

I guess a 3rd issue is the "intervening spaces" thing, like if the mage is casting from within Normal Mana to a target who is also in Normal Mana but then there is a No Mana Zone between them which the attack needs to cross. Whether or not you need a mana conduit.