Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: TFT Tile Wish List

Personally, I love the new big scale. I think it makes for better tiles, better artwork on the illustrated tiles and maps, and just feels more satisfying to handle and look at on the table. The only down side I can see is that you need a bigger table to set up the same play area. That is significant if you have limited space, but hasn't been a problem for me.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #12
madhopper50

Instead of new tiles, how about clear plastic (colored for trees/shrubbery/walls/etc…) overlays. These could easily be placed over the existing white megahexes. Should be cheaper than die-cutting new megahexes and be able to provide more variety.
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:27 PM   #13
larsdangly

I agree that placeable overlays would greatly expand the utility of the tile sets.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #14
ColinK

Ooh...I like the clear overlay idea for TFT tiles!

There are a few packs of gloss or matte transparencies for my 2D printer somewher in my clutter. Create the art in some software, print on plastic, then trace the tile and scissor cut the transparency to fit. Probably need some tape to hold them together for play. Thanks for that!
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #15
tomc

Instead of transparencies you might try getting a cheap ($30?) Laminator. Print your overlays on regular paper, laminate them, and they are indestructible.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #16
larsdangly

I'm not sure I get why we would want these to be transparent. Would't it make more sense to have the overlays be made of materials similar to the existing tiles (but perhaps thinner so that they don't create a second elevated tier to the topography of the play mat)?
Old 06-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #17
Theohippip

Location: Downstate or Upstate New York. Depends on your definition.

I can see transparencies. They would blend in better with the color/theme of the underlying hexes (especially with the new colored hex sets.)
Theohippip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #18
larsdangly

I agree the new colored hex tile sets do change the situation. Alternatively, rather than having transparent backgrounds you could simply have the 'drop' terrain/object overlays have the shape of the item rather than a hexagonal outline, so they would drop onto existing hexes sort of in the same way that 1 and 3 hex figure markers or weapon/staff markers do. That is, a tree would have the shape of a tree; a rock the shape of a rock, etc.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #19
BobP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobP View Post
A product like this would require new die-cut tooling. And that would make them more expensive than the market would want to bear. Notice the new colored tile sets all use the same die, and that die was made and paid for during Decks of Destiny. And even then it's retailing at $3/sheet (going up over $4/sheet after pre-order.)
Partly reversing myself here, 'cause the dies from the Melee/Wizard counter sets would probably yield one suitable for status markers and other such utilities. Or if thinner stock and smaller pieces were contemplated, one of the dies from the Pocket Box line.

But I'm still not seeing those as "must-haves" at the level needed to sustain a retail product. Definitely good fodder for fan aids!
BobP is offline   Reply With Quote