Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #51
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: value of Wedding vows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
In any case MY happiness would depend on the assumption. If I couldn't be trusted, I can't ask to be able to trust. I am not so foolish as to think there is no one in the world more charming then I, and perpetual competition is no way to live.
That is most definitely not what I disagree with or mean in any way shape or form. But this is also definitely not the place to discuss our personal views of our reality.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #52
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But you can have a Sense of Duty to a spouse to whom you are not faithful. So "taking traditional marriage vows seriously" is an extra behavioral restriction.
In some past cultures, a husband's duty was to protect and support his wife and their children (and possibly any children of hers that weren's his), but with absolutely no requirement to be sexually faithful to her.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #53
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Yes, that's what I meant, but now that I think about it some more, I think a reasonable twist could be that the Perk either gives the character a +2 bonus to all rolls to resist Sex Appeal seduction only, or a +1 bonus to resist all kinds of seduction [snip]
I'm having trouble picturing the former option... the character shrugs off straightforward seduction-via-flirting, but can be Fast-Talked into an indiscretion as easily as the next guy?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #54
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I'm having trouble picturing the former option... the character shrugs off straightforward seduction-via-flirting, but can be Fast-Talked into an indiscretion as easily as the next guy?
I'm imagining the second option as the character being somewhat naive. He's on the watch for certain flavours of feminine wiles, namely the most obvious and direct ones, and so can be manipulated via indirect means.

Does that make sense?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #55
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I'm imagining the second option as the character being somewhat naive. He's on the watch for certain flavours of feminine wiles, namely the most obvious and direct ones, and so can be manipulated via indirect means.

Does that make sense?
"That awful woman at the door was trying to seduce you away from your loving wife? Quickly, take off your clothes and have sex with me, so she thinks you're busy and goes away!"

Okay, maybe for a character who got a lot of points back for Gullibility in an extremely cinematic caper comedy scenario... :]
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #56
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
"That awful woman at the door was trying to seduce you away from your loving wife? Quickly, take off your clothes and have sex with me, so she thinks you're busy and goes away!"

Okay, maybe for a character who got a lot of points back for Gullibility in an extremely cinematic caper comedy scenario... :]
Indiscretion doesn't always mean full on sexual escapade. And besides, no one ever tries to trick someone by stating up front what their FINAL goal is.
"We'll just cuddle... it's really cold in here, and oh the hotel messed up and only gave us one bed.... "
Everyone manipulates everyone all the time no matter how ticked off we all get when we notice it.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #57
ULFGARD

Not much value to them if you ask my ex-wife.

Incredible value if you ask my current wife.

It depends on the game effects. Perk/quirk for minor stuff. Model after SOD, Ally, Dependent, etc., for other, more intense versions. It also depends on culture...

Tags
vow