Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2020, 11:44 PM   #51
kirbwarrior

Default Re: What point value would you give to an advantage which lets you create manastones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
M152/M160 calls Mana "common" for zombies/liches/wraiths so possibly -10% since -5% is for Very Common.
That's right, I still find that weird since I feel mana is more common than oxygen or sunlight. I guess it makes sense because people can actively change mana levels.

Quote:
I guess a 3rd issue is the "intervening spaces" thing, like if the mage is casting from within Normal Mana to a target who is also in Normal Mana but then there is a No Mana Zone between them which the attack needs to cross. Whether or not you need a mana conduit.
That one feels like a feature based on how complicated the GM and player like to play things.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #52
Plane

Default Re: What point value would you give to an advantage which lets you create manastones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
That's right, I still find that weird since I feel mana is more common than oxygen or sunlight. I guess it makes sense because people can actively change mana levels.
You would think "normal" mana is the norm... even though there are some worlds that might be mostly low-mana or high mana, presumably it averages out at normal.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #53
kirbwarrior

Quote:
You would think "normal" mana is the norm... even though there are some worlds that might be mostly low-mana or high mana, presumably it averages out at normal.
I was also assuming that Low Mana still counts as Mana for Dependency. In fact I had it written up (years ago) that Dependency Mana was Very Common and each step up would be less common (with Very High being the rarest). Moving that all up one step seems fine.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #54
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I was also assuming that Low Mana still counts as Mana for Dependency. In fact I had it written up (years ago) that Dependency Mana was Very Common and each step up would be less common (with Very High being the rarest). Moving that all up one step seems fine.
I think so, the only exception seems to be T58's note for the new class called Very Low Mana:

Supernatural creatures with a Dependency on mana suffer effects as if there’s none, but whenever HP loss would occur, they can avoid it with a HT roll, and take only half damage if that fails.
Unfortunately no notes on how Dependency might interact with Continuous Mana... except I guess the one to treat -10 to -8 as Very Low, whereas -7 and above would just be Low.

One idea that I had was maybe treat the unmodified HT roll as being at the lowest (-10) and every step above you get +1 to effective HT for that roll.

That would be for example HT+5 at the usual "Very Low" mana penalty, HT+10 at the +0 normal mana, HT+15 at the High Mana Median and HT+20 at the absolute highest (+10 to skills, Very High) mentioned on T58.

I guess the chance to fail this means you could still lose HP even at the highest possible mana, which seems off, so maybe the 'bicycle rule' where if effective HT is 15 or higher you can waive the roll?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote