Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #51
copeab

Default Re: Who needs tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRager View Post
Even if we assume that a mecha has capabilities equivalent to a human, it's still going to be at much reduced fighting effectiveness lieing down: A tank's main gun can fire 360 degrees in it's lowest state, with it's smallest footprint.
With top-attack munitions, the smaller frontal aspect of a tank might not matter as much anymore. A tank is a big target from overhead.

Also, a mecha with a hand-held weapon (it makes more sense for the main gun to be held instead of built in) has unlimited elevation and depression on the gun, while the tank is quite limited in the regard. As for traverse -- the mecha can simply turn.

Quote:
If you intend to have your mecha fight most of the time on it's stomach, why have a mecha as a primary combat vehicle in the first place, instead of a tank?
I don't intend to have it do that, but it can, if required.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #52
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Hull-down

(added for minimum length)
I know what hull down is. My point is that a mecha is not required to fight standing up.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:03 AM   #53
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I think we should be comparing SM+4 mecha to SM+4 tanks.
In these threads, I always think of mecha as tall as a tank is long (roughly 25 feet or so)

Old 11-24-2009, 05:10 AM   #54
Tema69

How about a Merkava-style tank that can carry power-armoured infantry (assuming the 6-8 ft. range discussed here)? The PA infantry would be able to support it much more efficiently, and the combination would have a much higher strategic and tactical mobility.
Supplemented by air support or long range artillery, they'd be pretty self-sufficient and durable, don't you think?
A tank with machineguns, a multipurpose main gun, and a light mortar, but supplemented by the infantry it carries?
...it'd probably have to be slightly larger than the current tanks, but perhaps only taller? ...which isn't as big a problem in FIBUA/urban combat.
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #55
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
I know what hull down is. My point is that a mecha is not required to fight standing up.
Sure, but then it loses its mobility even more than a tank. The tank can get out of a hull down position with out increasing its exposure to the extent of the mecha.

If you are using them only when they are lying down why use mecha at all?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #56
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I actually started a thread asking about how to add them to power-armor, as I was discontented with Pulver's assertion that you couldn't up Move (much) on a set of power armor, only their jumping distance, and I looked to power bockers as a solution. Plus they look awesome.
If your legs are in the legs of the suit, how are you going to be able to take more strides per minute? Maybe with a neural interface instead of feedback sensors associated with battlesuits is the only way I see doing it.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #57
copeab

So far, we've mostly been talking about rural combat. In urban combat, the mecha has distinct advantages over a tank. Specifically, it can much more easily fire on troops in the upper floors or roof of a building and can fire around the corner of a building (with a hand-held weapon) without exposing as much of itself as a tank would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
f you are using them only when they are lying down why use mecha at all?
I never said I'm using them when they're lying down.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #58
blacksmith

Quote:
So far, we've mostly been talking about rural combat. In urban combat, the mecha has distinct advantages over a tank. Specifically, it can much more easily fire on troops in the upper floors or roof of a building and can fire around the corner of a building (with a hand-held weapon) without exposing as much of itself as a tank would.
Can most building support mecha on their roofs? And how is this different from any level of technology were infantry is king in cities?

Would powerarmor trump tanks in cities? Sure, but tanks with out infantry support especialy in cities die quickly anyway.

Quote:
I never said I'm using them when they're lying down.
THen they have a much higher profile than the tank, and it removes your earlier point. To be the equivalant of hull down the mecha needs to be prone and unlike a tank it can not back up it has to stand up thus exposing itself much more than the tank.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #59
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
In these threads, I always think of mecha as tall as a tank is long (roughly 25 feet or so)
Which is misleading, because we must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #60
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Which is misleading, because we must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
How is that misleading (thinking of mecha height as roughly equal to tank length)?

Last edited by copeab; 11-24-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Tags
afv, mecha, stealth, tanks