Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #201
Nakawaros

Default Re: [Space] GURPS Handbook of the Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I have uploaded the Beta 23 version to my GURPS fan wiki, linked in my signature.

I've got a few aborted attempts at writing a Perl version... one of these days I might finish it.
.. you mean like the one I posted elsewhere? I mean, it could probably use some work, but it is a GURPS Space generator.
Nakawaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #202
KnarG

Nakawaros,
Where do you have your program posted? I'd love to have a look.

Jon
KnarG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #203
Nakawaros

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=109490
Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #204
KnarG

Thanks. Ill have to see what I can do with this, I'm afraid I'm Mac only at the moment.

Jon
KnarG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #205
Nakawaros

You'll need .NET 3.5 as well for whatever emulator you use. I've been kinda tempted to redo it in the GTK toolkit, but only kinda. It'd require a separate download.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #206
Vaevictis Asmadi

Agemegos, are you still around?

I know that you do not plan to do any more work on this project than the amount you've already put in. But may I ask you for a few clarifications about the program, and the changes you made to the World Design Sequence?

You listed some issues here:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=74233&page=12
And here you mentioned changes made due to errors:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?...stem-generator
Does the SJG policy leave room for you to say which formulas have errors and what mathematical changes you'd suggest we make when manually using the design sequence? I want to be able to modify the Sequence when using it manually, using corrected formulae for climate, tidal braking, orbit eccentricity, and red giant luminosity.

In particular, do you have any suggestions for modifying the climate table and/or atmospheric pressure equations to keep water liquid on a planet surface? I've been trying to modify it to do so and even for garden worlds it doesn't seem to hold up in all circumstances, especially at high temperatures where the pressure drops below boiling. Is there a modification that will prevent it from generating the icehouse worlds on the wrong world type?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 03-26-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #207
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
In particular, do you have any suggestions for modifying the climate table and/or atmospheric pressure equations to keep water liquid on a planet surface? I've been trying to modify it to do so and even for garden worlds it doesn't seem to hold up in all circumstances, especially at high temperatures where the pressure drops below boiling.
As I pointed out, the temperature would be low enough at the poles.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #208
Vaevictis Asmadi

That would require the poles to be as much as 15 K below average, around 30 K colder than the equator. Is there a way to actually calculate if that's reasonable for a planet with <1 atm? I have no idea and do not want to just assume.

That also doesn't address 'garden' planets Agemegos mentioned that should be snowballs all the way to the equator. Can you get chemotrophic oxygen generation in a lightless subsurface ocean? Or sustain a complex aerobic biosphere solely on radiolytic oxygen diffused from an airless ice surface? I'm guessing the first is "no;" given that CO2 is relatively insoluble in water, I'd expect some other inorganic carbon source to dominate.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 03-29-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #209
Barwickian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Nevertheless, it remains the case that the workbook I produced is for free distribution. Those were the terms of the SJ Games on-line policy under which I was allowed to create it, so those are the terms on which it exists and you who have copies have them. So if you have a copy and want to pass on a copy to another GURPS fan, or if you want to put a copy up on a fan site for free, non-commercial download, that is perfectly alright. If you do those things, it would be best if you could get beta 23, the last release.
Apologies for thread necromancy, but does anyone still have a version of Beta 23 they could upload or send to me? Searching this forum and via Google just brings dead links.
Barwickian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #210
Daigoro

Try here. It's a Dropbox link hosted by the original author of the spreadsheet.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
planets, space, star system generator, system generation, world generation