Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
mr beer

Default Shadow Form enhancement

Dear forum,

Say someone has Shadow Form. How much extra would it cost to be able to make physical attacks? So to punch someone or (assuming they bought the ability to carry things) shoot them?
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
CeeDub

Default Re: Shadow Form enhancement

Enhancement: Affects Substantial, +40% (B102)?

Edit: Altenatively, since a Shadow Form presumably has no ST, you can also purchase an Innate Attack (cr) with the above enhancement.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

It's important how the attack takes place... Do they extend an arm out and smack something, and while it is attacking it's vulnerable? Or does the shadow simply attack while remaining a shadow?

For the former, you could just use Selective Effect and just be mostly shadow...

I'd call it a +100% Special Enhancement to keep it in line with similar abilities if it's the latter.

As an another alternative to an Enhancement or Innate Attack, you could buy Telekinesis equal to the character's ST, with (Melee, C, -30%; Only in Shadow Form, -10%).
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Enhancement: Affects Substantial, +40% (B102)?

Edit: Altenatively, since a Shadow Form presumably has no ST, you can also purchase an Innate Attack (cr) with the above enhancement.
You need to purchase Affects Substantial on Insubstantial if you have any powers or abilities that can affect substantial. If your power wouldn't normally affect substantial, you also need to buy it on your power to turn it into same - but there's a bunch of things that come with that feature built in, like magic spells.

I strongly suspect the same rules apply to Shadow Form, because it's basically a cut down version of Insubstantial.

I have a short article breaking down all the enhancements on Insubstantial that let you mess with the "real world". EDIT: The new cosmic enhancement is a house-rule, but I (obviously) think it's in line as part of that metatrait.

Last edited by Bruno; 02-26-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You need to purchase Affects Substantial on Insubstantial if you have any powers or abilities that can affect substantial. If your power wouldn't normally affect substantial, you also need to buy it on your power to turn it into same - but there's a bunch of things that come with that feature built in, like magic spells.

I strongly suspect the same rules apply to Shadow Form, because it's basically a cut down version of Insubstantial.

I have a short article breaking down all the enhancements on Insubstantial that let you mess with the "real world". EDIT: The new cosmic enhancement is a house-rule, but I (obviously) think it's in line as part of that metatrait.
While I agree that the build would probably be quite similar to modifying Insubstantiality, I have to disagree with the notion that Shadow Form is a cut down version... They have very little in common.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

As tmw points out, Shadow Form is quite different from Insub., particularly in the fact that the former is not invulnerable to any type of damage. That, and the phrasing of the Affects Substantial enhancement in Powers p99, makes me think that the modifier need to only be bought for physical attacks that would otherwise be unusable in the 2D form, rather than both the attack and the SF advantage. I'm not 100% certain, though... You might want to check with Kromm or Rev to get the official word on that.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:06 AM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
As tmw points out, Shadow Form is quite different from Insub., particularly in the fact that the former is not invulnerable to any type of damage. That, and the phrasing of the Affects Substantial enhancement in Powers p99, makes me think that the modifier need to only be bought for physical attacks that would otherwise be unusable in the 2D form, rather than both the attack and the SF advantage. I'm not 100% certain, though... You might want to check with Kromm or Rev to get the official word on that.
That's based on Kromm repeatedly clarifying this issue on the forum.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
mr beer

OK, thanks all.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote