Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: GURPS Space - "desert planet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I see a great many. In my 10,000-star run they came in as about half of all "habitable" planets.
wow, you're getting less of those than I am. Though I am counting ALL red dwarf planets with life on them.

I like to interpret "Garden World" as meaning "organic life lives here". That doesn't actually mean much. It includes snow ball earth, several alternate biologies, and tidally locked worlds will certainly have issues. but this isn't reflected in habitability score.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #32
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
wow, you're getting less of those than I am. Though I am counting ALL red dwarf planets with life on them.
I'm counting only worlds with Habitability of 5 or higher as habitable. Also, I am not counting spin:orbit resonant worlds as tide-locked. And finally, I have fiddled with the procedures for initial spin and tidal braking as discussed in the errata thread.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #33
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whill View Post
http://www.astrobio.net/exclusive/41...‘dune’-planets-

I thought this was an interesting line of speculation regarding the likelihood and habitability of "land class" planets.
It's interesting, but I wonder how quickly the oxygen atmosphere can develop without oceans and without forests.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
It's interesting, but I wonder how quickly the oxygen atmosphere can develop without oceans and without forests.
Oceans are actually a big barrier to oxygenation because they contain so much dissolved material that oxidizes. The real question (assuming that initial life can come from offworld) is how you put enough lichen down when most of the world only gets rain as a freakish occurence.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #35
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Oceans are actually a big barrier to oxygenation because they contain so much dissolved material that oxidizes.
Interesting. What happens to all that reduced material if it doesn't dissolve? Or do the small oceans become saturated and reduced compounds precipitate out to form thick layers of anoxic ooze?
Quote:
The real question (assuming that initial life can come from offworld) is how you put enough lichen down when most of the world only gets rain as a freakish occurence.
Well, that's what I was trying to gets at about forests. If the oceans are tiny that means the great majority of the planet is arid and won't support either photosynthesis or the accumulation of fixed carbon, then the oxygen catastrophe is going to be delayed.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 03-07-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:
Interesting. What happens to all that reduced material if it doesn't dissolve? .
I'm not sure I understand the question. Most of the stuff that could become solutes doesn't because much of the planet rarely experiences rain. Instead it just remains buried underneath the oxidised surface. There's still got to be a minimum amount of surface water to maintain an oxygen atmosphere, but I'm not at all sure what percentage that minimum is.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #37
Agemegos

Default Re: GURPS Space - assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Sure, but the key thing is that you can be in free fall without your path causing you to eventually get closer or further from either object.
Just so. And that isn't true at either the barycentre or the equipoise.

It is very common for people to confuse the Lagrange points, the barycentre, and the equipoise, and especially to give one of those that characterisation of one of the others. It's worth keeping them straight, I think.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 03-07-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
Whill

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Whills Universe, Whills Multiverse

Would it be possible for an Earth-mass world to stay in a Lagrange point of a star and a very massive gas giant?
Whill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #39
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whill View Post
Would it be possible for an Earth-mass world to stay in a Lagrange point of a star and a very massive gas giant?
L4 or L5, yes. L1, L2, or L3, no. The gas giant has to be at least about 25 times the mass of the terrestrial.

In the context of a planet orbiting a star, these trajectories are also called the leading and trailing Trojan points.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
Whill

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Whills Universe, Whills Multiverse

Quote:
L4 or L5, yes. L1, L2, or L3, no. The gas giant has to be at least about 25 times the mass of the terrestrial.

In the context of a planet orbiting a star, these trajectories are also called the leading and trailing Trojan points.
Thanks. Would there be any severe radiation or other habitability complications with a terrestrial planet at L4 or L5 when the gas giant is 4000 earth masses?
Whill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps space, space, star system, system generation, world generation, worldbuilding