Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Garion

Location: Northern (and I mean Northern, not freakin' Albany!) New york
Default Auras of Power question

I was looking over this article in an attempt to figure out how to model another power, when I noticed this modifier - Reduced Duration, 1/60, Only after the target leaves the area, -30%. Does this limitation exist in a printed book, because I can't seem to find it.

Last edited by Garion; 08-20-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
tg_ambro

Default Re: Auras of Power question

I do not have that issue, so I'm not sure what it does or says, but it's probably the same modifier as the one on Psionic Powers p.21, although the cost for 1/60 should be -35% not -30%.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
I do not have that issue, so I'm not sure what it does or says, but it's probably the same modifier as the one on Psionic Powers p.21, although the cost for 1/60 should be -35% not -30%.
I think the +5% adjustment is for "only after target leaves the Area"
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Ah I see, It's late, I haven't slept. I tend to overlook the obvious in this state. :-) Nice work.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion View Post
I was looking over this article in an attempt to figure out how to model another power, when I noticed this modifier - Reduced Duration, 1/60, Only after the target leaves the area, -30%. Does this limitation exist in a printed book, because I can't seem to find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
As the author of the article, I must say that I regret not putting it as two modifiers. Bruno is right, it's +5% for the quality of life enhancement that once someone is blessed by the aura, you don't roll again, and the original duration will apply once they leave it.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Only now thinking about the ramifications of that... Does +5% seem kind of light for an affliction-like effect that has the potential for an indefinite duration, depending on the whim of the character owning the power?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Only now thinking about the ramifications of that... Does +5% seem kind of light for an affliction-like effect that has the potential for an indefinite duration, depending on the whim of the character owning the power?
Without adjusting it, if you stay in the aura, you would be attacked every second by it. Even after being successfully affected, you would continue to be attacked, and have the effect reapplied, every second, forever or until the aura was turned off.

At that point "Once successfully applied, stays on until you leave the aura" is more like a convenient bookkeeping simplification.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Without adjusting it, if you stay in the aura, you would be attacked every second by it. Even after being successfully affected, you would continue to be attacked, and have the effect reapplied, every second, forever or until the aura was turned off.

At that point "Once successfully applied, stays on until you leave the aura" is more like a convenient bookkeeping simplification.
Yeah, but my point was that the owner seems to be getting a bigger discount (from the Reduced Duration) than is suggested by the impact on the power's use. His buffed allies will want to stay in the AE for as long as they can, to retain the advantageous effect. The limiter is not really a reduction of actual duration, like it would be for a standard Affliction (Advantage), but only a conditional one.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Yeah, but my point was that the owner seems to be getting a bigger discount (from the Reduced Duration) than is suggested by the impact on the power's use. His buffed allies will want to stay in the AE for as long as they can, to retain the advantageous effect. The limiter is not really a reduction of actual duration, like it would be for a standard Affliction (Advantage), but only a conditional one.
First, it's a quality of life enhancement. For 90+% of the people who are getting the auras, it would not matter in any way. Imagine you have a beneficial aura and an aura skill of 14 (not that high). You have a 90% chance of making the roll, and you'll bless the targets for a number of seconds equal to your margin of success. Should you miss, chances are that they'll he blessed for at least a second, and then you roll again, reblessing them.

The +5% is there to reduce the number of rolls, nothing else. It also forces the group to remain close to the aura user, to remain in the area, or the aura user to invest in greater area effect, via higher levels of the Aura of Power modifier. One costs tactical flexibility, the other costs points.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
First, it's a quality of life enhancement. For 90+% of the people who are getting the auras, it would not matter in any way. Imagine you have a beneficial aura and an aura skill of 14 (not that high). You have a 90% chance of making the roll, and you'll bless the targets for a number of seconds equal to your margin of success. Should you miss, chances are that they'll he blessed for at least a second, and then you roll again, reblessing them.

The +5% is there to reduce the number of rolls, nothing else. It also forces the group to remain close to the aura user, to remain in the area, or the aura user to invest in greater area effect, via higher levels of the Aura of Power modifier. One costs tactical flexibility, the other costs points.
I will admit that I am not getting the 'quality of life' bit. The enhancement is also showing that the Reduced Duration limiter is not affecting the Aura possessor as much as it would be otherwise, is it not? I am just saying that the net discount seems like it might be a bit too much.

My miscommunication problem must be getting worse :/

Tags
after the target leaves, aura of power