Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
Tim Kauffman

Default OGRE...New Paneuropean FanMade Units and Record Sheet...

PIKEMAN
Not new, but the Combine Mark 1 Template has been redesigned with a Paneuropean style and the official Record Sheet has been reworked and this unit now finally has it's own Unit Record Card.

CAVALIER
Based on the OGREverse background when Paneurope was experimenting with Combine OGRE technology before they decided to develop their own OGREs.
The CAVALIER was as far as they developed Combine OGRE technology for their own use other than the MANTICORE and HYDRA which were hybrids using Combine and Paneuropean OGRE chassis and rare.

HUSCARL from Stuttgart
One possible iteration of what it looks like.

PORTABLE LASER TOWER (PLT)
A manned self-contained and powered Laser Tower that was towed into position. Later, this design lead to Laser Towers being mounted on Paneuropean OGREs and operated by them.

LANCER
A Laser Tower operated by an OGRE on a FENCER chassis. Such OGRE operated Lasers were superior to non-OGRE operated manned ones and they could fire every turn even if they fired in the previous enemies turn.
This and the ability to move and relocate the Laser Tower on an OGRE proved to be a valuable strategic weapon platform. The LANCER has two Secondary Batteries.

BASILISK
Two Laser Towers operated by an OGRE on a DOPPELSOLDNER chassis made the BASILISK essentially a mobile Laser Tower Battery and even more formidable than the LANCER.

OGRE LASER BATTERY
These were rare but incredibly formidable defensive systems. A series of linked LASER TOWERS were operated by an OGRE AI however unlike the LANCER and BASILISK
they were static systems built into fortification structures. Only Paneurope fielded LANCERs, BASILISKs and OGRE LASER BATTERIES.
Laser Towers in a OGRE LASER BATTERY were superior to manned ones because they were operated by an OGRE. As such, they could fire every turn even if they fired in the previous enemies turn.
This unit is not included on the OGRE New Unit Record Sheet or in the video as it is still a WIP and it's final design and rules are pending.
The largest OGRE LASER BATTERY Paneurope ever built will be featured in a FanMade Scenario titled: THE LASER TOWERS OF NAVARONE.
A squad of elite Rangers, Engineers, and Marines equipped with cutting edge Combine Technology are sent on a mission to sabotage the installation and knock it out of service.
(Any similarity to a certain movie is deliberate).

JAVELIN
Made to counter the Combine Mark4 as well as to have a rapid deployment OGRE missile weapon platform it was the fastest OGRE Paneurope ever produced.

MANTICORE
A hybrid OGRE using Combine and Paneuropean OGRE chassis, these were rare.

HYDRA
A hybrid OGRE using Combine and Paneuropean OGRE chassis, these were very rare. Essentially an upgunned DOPPELSOLDNER it was produced to counter Combines dreaded Mark 6 more effectively than the DOPPELSOLDNER.
(Note this unit rates as "Too Heavy" to be possible using Henry Cobb's OGRE Calculator, http://www.hcobb.com/gev/ogrecalc.html it would need 72 Tread Units like the Combine Mark 6.
However, I think it works because it is a unique hybrid design using the Mark 5 front and DOPPELSOLDNER rear chassis and this makes it possible).

UNIT RECORD SHEET
The official OGRE DE Record Sheet has been reworked and redesigned for optimum "at-a-glance" ease of use.
(I like ovals better than squares, and reset/tweeked how the margins were all laid out as well as retooling the Tread Unit/Movement design
and also polished up the line art which was actually missing lines in the official line art for some of the units).
This FanMade Record Sheet is available for download on my Flickr page:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...7647437220514/

Errata:
The CAVALIER, PORTABLE LASER TOWER, LANCER, HUSCARL from Stuttgart, JAVELIN, and BASILISK Unit Record Sheet Cards have no AU Values.
At the time of this writing, those values remain a WIP and are pending.
Other than this...
These are all fully realized iterations and ready for the unofficial FanMade OGREverse-verse. ;)

Brought to you by the Paneuropean Ministry of Defense

Wargame responsibly

OGRE is By and Attributed to: SteveJacksonGames

UPDATE: 7/9/2017
The PIKEMAN and PORTABLE LASER TOWER (PLT) have been dropped from the Unit Record Sheet and the new MEDUSA has been added.

WELCOME TO THE 21st CENTURY

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 07-09-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: OGRE DE FanMade New Units...

I like a few of them, but some of them seem pretty outlandish ... but that's often the case with military hardware at times.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
ldj00

Hello,

At work, so can't watch the video, but is the Cavalier supposed to have un-even number of tread units?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
Hello,

At work, so can't watch the video, but is the Cavalier supposed to have un-even number of tread units?
The text says 45 tread units, but the check off boxes indicate 54?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
The text says 45 tread units, but the check off boxes indicate 54?
hmm...I looked and I'm seeing 45 Tread units with 3 movement row brackets of 15 tread Units for a total of 45 Tread units.

It looks odd because of the way the ovals are laid out in a uneven amount, because there is an uneven amount of Tread Units per movement row bracket, but each one equals 15 tread Units.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 12-15-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
Chico Caldwell

Very interesting variants. Particularly liked the use of Billy Idol as soundtrack.
Chico Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Caldwell View Post
Very interesting variants. Particularly liked the use of Billy Idol as soundtrack.
"BURIED ALIVE" in the nuclear fallout of the LAST WAR.

These are for a scenario I've been working on for far too long...lol.

So, any thoughts from anyone about the new Tread Unit Record design?
It has less text and you can see at-a-glance what your movement is within the movement brackets.
Is this an improvement over the official one, the same-no difference/apples and oranges...or...is it worse?

I removed the Combine KATANA because that one will be going on the same Record Sheet as the NINJA variants I'm working on.
So, this video is exclusively for the new Paneuropean units and their new Record Sheet.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Oinkinator

I've come up with an alternate cyberwalker based loosely on the ones in the cyberwalker article. I made a custom counter for it. It has...

1 Laser o
4 Secondary Batteries o o o o
4 Missiles o o o o
8 Antipersonnel o o o o o o o o
2 Kinetic Charges o o
48 Leg Plates (tread units)
o o o o o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o o o o o

The laser functions like a normal laser but at half the range.
Kinetic charges create a Shockwave pushing units away and damaging them.
Other rules involve the leg plates which are not lost when the cyber walker rams and all twelve on a leg must be destroyed before the leg fails.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
Mack_JB

Eh, personally I'll avoid anime-style walking tanks ... it just has never felt plausible given the difficulty that is balance and walking for most people, without adding a battlefield / broken ground component to the mix.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
Oinkinator

I haven't figured out how to put a picture up and I'm not sure if I can but I'll post the rules.

Quote:
Eh, personally I'll avoid anime-style walking tanks ... it just has never felt plausible given the difficulty that is balance and walking for most people, without adding a battlefield / broken ground component to the mix
I'm not a big fan either at least not in ogre. So my cyberwalker is a four legged spider-like design.

Last edited by Oinkinator; 01-16-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Oinkinator is offline   Reply With Quote