Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #11
Nereidalbel

Default Re: about aura, emanation, and reality bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I don't think the 1/5 cost is appropriate for this case. The target of the Affliction isn't spending CP -- and it would be a heck of an ability to use against a PC that cost them 20 CP to Warp every time they got hit, even if it didn't actually send them anywhere. Nor can the Affliction give them a pile of CP to use on a one-shot Warp so that their point total doesn't change. In addition, nothing prevents the ability from being used against the same character again. It's not like you get a lifetime immunity after the first time you meet a Porta-Field Demon. None of the drawbacks that limit a one-use ability apply, so it doesn't rate the 1/5th multiplier.
You just got Warped into a tiny air pocket in the ground. You have no way to ever Warp out, as the ability had a single use and is gone forever. I'd say that's a significant drawback.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
You just got Warped into a tiny air pocket in the ground. You have no way to ever Warp out, as the ability had a single use and is gone forever. I'd say that's a significant drawback.
You misunderstand. I'm not objecting to the 1/5th cost in general. I'm objecting to applying it to reduce the cost of an Afflict (Warp Other) as in the teleport field discussed in the thread, where you can send your enemies into those tiny air pockets into the ground. No drawbacks or costs to the user, just the benefit of 1/5th cost on the Affliction (since the cost of Afflicting Advantages is linear with the cost of the Advantage), while your destination makes it an even more effective weapon.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #13
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The cost reduction would be on the one using the Emanation power so not very effective.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm trying to decide if this ability can be used by the player to warp around effectively. If not, is it really a 'beneficial enhancement'. because this is less effective than an affliction that simply turns people to stone.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #15
lord buss

thank you for all your answers.

1) i understood all you wrote, except one thing. how aura can have area effect, if its have melee only and work only if i touch someone? or it will be area centered around someone i touch?
2) the ability is not single use. its randomly teleportes everyone every turn.
3) can i limit the warp enhancement? will it be warp, (Range Limit, 10 yards, -50%) +500%?
4) must i add modifiers to the warp, like reduced fatigue cost, reduced time, and reliable, or the warp automatically succeed and not requires fatigue (for the affected) because it affliction?
Mild phobia: complex gurps rules [-1]
lord buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #16
Anaraxes

Adding the Area Effect modifier to Aura is how Aura can have an area effect. The version with Melee Attack alone is touch range ("C"). This is a limitation because the attack the ability is based on is generally ranged. Using the Area Effect modifier extends the range of the Aura from C to some distance, and creates an area centered on the character with the ability. The ability becomes more of a "damage field" than a close-fitting sheathe of flame (or whatever). Or in this case, an automatic AE teleportation attack.

For an ability that teleports away just those that you touch, omit the Aura and AE. You then have a melee attack. If you want to teleport everyone near someone you touch, keep the AE. Since the attack is range C, you can only touch people in your hex, so the question of where the area is centered has the same answer as with Aura -- your own hex. (You can kick at range 1, however.) You'll probably want to add Selective Area if you expect to have any allies in the area, and also to exclude yourself (as you lost the self-protection that Aura includes). This version also requires you to take an Attack Maneuver, make a hit roll, and have the target fail a Dodge. Having the ability work automatically without using up your Maneuver is a large part of the cost in that +80% Aura.

See, for an example, the build of the "Aura of Power" meta-trait in PU4: Enhancements.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
lord buss

i read the enhancements book, thats why i asking about the the aura. i don't understand how aura works with the melee attack modifier, and don't understand how can it not have the modifier, because you must take both of them.

Last edited by lord buss; 08-01-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: wrong modifier name
Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord buss View Post
i read the enhancements book, thats why i asking about the the aura. i don't understand how aura works with the melee attack modifier, and don't understand how can it not have the modifier, because you must take both of them.
Melee C removes all Range and Reach components from an attack, and limits it to what you can touch. Aura requires this as a means of saying it's effectively attached to you, and you get free damage from it every time you strike somebody unarmed, as well as during a grapple.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #19
Anaraxes

Though it probably seems strange at first glance, the way auras with an area are built is to start with the standard Aura, which requires Melee Attack (range C), and then add Area Effect on top of that. The AE and Melee Attack may seem contradictory, but that's the way it's done. Certainly, without the Melee Attack you'd be left wondering what the range was, and starting at range C is likely the best value to start with.

Is there a reason they didn't just make Aura cost +50%, instead of +80% and require Melee Attack -30% always to be added to it, and just define it to have Reach C? I don't know. Though I have noticed on the forum that most times there's some complicated Advantage or Enhancement, people usually debate the cost of each piece of it and try to disassemble it. So perhaps they were just trying to keep from duplicating the effect of Melee Attack inside Aura, and just having people break it back out. Or it may be simply that Aura was never really intended to have a range in the first place, but it turned out for later books that adding AE to it was the simplest way to build a "damage field", and the playtesting showed the value was suitable. So TPTB just extended what they already had.

4e has been around since 2004, after all. SJG doesn't crank out a new edition every couple of years just to sell you slightly updated books; they tend to do it the other way around, and try to preserve the existing stuff as long as they can.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
lord buss

1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Though it probably seems strange at first glance, the way auras with an area are built is to start with the standard Aura, which requires Melee Attack (range C), and then add Area Effect on top of that. The AE and Melee Attack may seem contradictory, but that's the way it's done. Certainly, without the Melee Attack you'd be left wondering what the range was, and starting at range C is likely the best value to start with.

Is there a reason they didn't just make Aura cost +50%, instead of +80% and require Melee Attack -30% always to be added to it, and just define it to have Reach C? I don't know. Though I have noticed on the forum that most times there's some complicated Advantage or Enhancement, people usually debate the cost of each piece of it and try to disassemble it. So perhaps they were just trying to keep from duplicating the effect of Melee Attack inside Aura, and just having people break it back out. Or it may be simply that Aura was never really intended to have a range in the first place, but it turned out for later books that adding AE to it was the simplest way to build a "damage field", and the playtesting showed the value was suitable. So TPTB just extended what they already had.

4e has been around since 2004, after all. SJG doesn't crank out a new edition every couple of years just to sell you slightly updated books; they tend to do it the other way around, and try to preserve the existing stuff as long as they can.

aura basicly cost +50%, and with the area effect it just works in some range around you. okay, i got it. thank you very much.

3) now what about the warp? can i enhance or limit the enhancement?
4) i understood that the effect of affliction is immediate, so you don't need reduced fatigue cost, reduced time, and reliable, but what about the weight?
do i need to add Extra Carrying Capacity, and how it will work if i will not add it?

Last edited by lord buss; 08-05-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Tags
advantage, affliction, aura area effect, aura of power, gurps 4e, help me out here