Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
CeeDub

Default Sense-Based (Reversed) Malediction

Salutations!

I'm tinkering with an Area-Effect Malediction that is supposed to affect everyone except friendlies the PC can see. So I came up with Affliction +Temporary Disadvantage (Blindness) + Sense-Based (Reversed, Vision) +Selective Area.

Now, I'm not entirely sure, but the way I read Power-Ups #8, Sense-Based (Reversed) requires Malediction for Afflictions.

If so, B109 says Sense-Based is a limitation if combined with a Malediction, and Sense-Based (Reversed) does not contradict this. Now, I'm not angry at my Character Points ("The sooner they're all gone, the better!"), but if it's based on whom the PC can see, it seems more like an enhancement to me. What's your take on this?

Also, if it is an enhancement, do I still need to buy levels of Maledictions for better range (I'm guessing yes) or would that automatically make the range LOS?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
dfinlay

Default Re: Sense-Based (Reversed) Malediction

IDHMBWM, but I'm pretty sure that reversed sense-based doesn't make it affect multiple targets. You still need Area of Effect or similar for that. All that reversed sense-based does is make it so that it cannot affect people you can't see. I believe the build should be

Affliction +Temporary Disadvantage (Blindness) + Sense-Based (Reversed, Vision) +Selective Area + Area of Effect + Emanation + Malediction

That said, I can't recall how AoE and Malediction interact.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
CeeDub

Default Re: Sense-Based (Reversed) Malediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinlay View Post
IDHMBWM, but I'm pretty sure that reversed sense-based doesn't make it affect multiple targets. You still need Area of Effect or similar for that. All that reversed sense-based does is make it so that it cannot affect people you can't see.
Ah, I see. That makes sense, then.

Although you might (I'd have to do some number crunching) get a better "deal" if you took Area Effect + Emanation + Selective Area + Malediction + a limitation on the AE enhancement like "Frontal Cone Only", worth -25% for a 120° cone and -35% for a 60° cone (based 60° = ~16.6% of 360° and the Percentage-Based table in Power-Ups #8). Especially considering that you'd only need Malediction 1, since the range modifier is always calculated from caster to center of AoE, and with Emanation that is always zero.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, area effect, malediction, sense-based