Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Anthony

Default Spreadable Attacks

If you had an attack where you could split the dice between adjacent targets or hexes, what is that worth? You can accomplish this with some complexity by either 'RoF X; damage is divided by RoF -???' or 'Cone X, Diffusion, variable width cone -???' but it seems like a more straightforward version would be nice.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Spreadable Attacks

Have you looked at the regular rules in Basic for spraying auto-fire across multiple hexes?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Have you looked at the regular rules in Basic for spraying auto-fire across multiple hexes?
Yes, but I don't want an autofire weapon.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
'Cone X, Diffusion, variable width cone -???' but it seems like a more straightforward version would be nice.
What's not straightforward about that? It seems to be exactly what you want (and ??? there is either "Apply Variable to the Cone Enhancement", or apply Selective to your entire advantage)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Phoenix_Dragon

Variable-width dissipation cone seems the most appropriate. It's what I've always used for such things. Most typical example would be a dragon that could either focus its flame on a single point to maximize damage in that area, or spread it over a much broader area to hit everything in it (Possibly to make sure some sneaking, thieving, murderous so-called "heroes" can't dodge out of the way).

Unless you mean you get that certain number of dice total damage, and can then distribute those dice among all available targets however you like. I'm not sure the most "proper" way to do it. Off the top of my head, AoE/Cone, with selective area, and a custom limitation "damage pool". With dissipation being -50% and possibly doing more total damage (Across all targets) than the attack's base damage, and with it obviously doing less total damage than the unmodified attack if two or more targets are in the area, I'd probably peg it at around -20%. Actually, considering that's the inverse value of selective area, maybe it'd be simpler to remove all those and make it a 0% feature, so the build would be just AoE/Cone with "Damage Pool" [+0%]. Not official or anything, but it seems fair enough.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
Lancewholelot

Doesn't an attack with the jet enhancement have the ability to spread damage among several targets, or am I remembering 3e rules?
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancewholelot View Post
Doesn't an attack with the jet enhancement have the ability to spread damage among several targets, or am I remembering 3e rules?
There is no such option in Characters, so I suppose it's a 3rd ed. rule.

I don't know any official "multiple targets" modifier besides of AoE, Cone, and spreading RoF 5+ attacks. As you don't like the last one, I can think about 3 options.

1. Extra Attack with Multi-Strike and One Skill or One Attack (-60%; Striking ST is good guidline IMO) - you can hit one target multiple times or multiple targets.

The next two cover an area instead of hitting definite number of targets - there is no official "Chain Effect" modifier known to me.

2. One-target strong attack with half-damage AoE Alternative Attack. If you'd like enhancement, though, lets do some math on point costs (x -- cost of unmodified ability):
(x / 2 × 1.5) / 5 = 0.15 × x = 15% x
Which gives +15% enhancement "AoE 2 yards with half damage alternative."

3. One-target strong attack with half-damage 2 yard-wide cone Alternative Attack. For enhancement:
(x / 2 × 1.7) / 5 = 17% x -- I'd round it down to +15% enhancement.
One target at full damage, 2 yard cone at half damage or 3 yard cone at 1/3 damage would be:
(x / 2 × 1.7) / 5 + (x / 3 × 1.8) / 5 = 0.17 x + 0.12 x = 29% x -- rounding up to +30%
Add Cone 1 to the 1-target attack if you wish, just as usual.

I'm pretty sure that both Alternative Attack options make a series with finite sum, so one can end up with enhancement giving infinite number of options of spreading and dividing attack, but I have to work on it a bit more or ask my teacher for help.
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancewholelot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
There is no such option in Characters, so I suppose it's a 3rd ed. rule.
It is part of 4e!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Characters (4e) Page B106
Jet
+0%
Your attack is a continuous stream, like a flamethrower. Treat it as a melee weapon with a very long reach rather than as a ranged weapon.
No spreading damage among several targets though.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancewholelot
The All-Out Attack (jet) option was given in High-Tech (p178) specifically for flamethrowers, but should be applicable to any (jet) attack. Kromm previewed the rule here.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote