Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #71
duromiir

Default Re: [DF] Homebrew Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Remember that not everyone is a Veteran GURPS player and used to balancing combat. A common mistake for rookies is to make fight far too difficult or easy, while even more experienced GMs can forget opponents other than the basic hack 'n slash types. Showing/reminding GMs of the various kinds of basic opponents they can throw at the Players is quite valuable advice.

If you were to submit it you might want to create a few more special/epic powers though. Seeing the same special ability in very different creatures will start feeling a bit cookie-cutter-like fairly quickly.
Overall I like the ones you've created though. Especially Dark Reincarnation.

I'd suggest taking a good look at your work, adding a bit of polish and check if SJ is interested. If you have the time to take on this sort of project that is.
I've picked up the GURPS 4e basic set, but I've yet to play or run... And I less-than-three this thread soooo much! It's really helped me get a good idea on how to create adversaries when I finally do get to run!

But like RedMattis is saying, it's hard for a complete newbie to know -aside from obvious examples, like Epics- what monsters are appropriate for starting players. Is that info in the DF books, or is it something we just need to get a feel for?
duromiir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #72
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
I knew it! I definitely saw that one coming
Every time someone mentions GCA or something GCA can do, GCS is mentioned and compared to it within a few hours. :D

I myself use GCS, and I probably would have mentioned it myself if you hadn't. It's a good program. ...and free!
I don't have any experience with GCA, but at the end of the day, I don't like to pay for software if I don't have to. Also, I've made a couple of custom tools around GCS's format (like a GM Sheet generator that takes xml files that I output from GCS and outputs an HTML table with each character's skills, advantages, etc so I can tell who at a glance has, for instance, Combat Reflexes).
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #73
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by duromiir View Post
[snip] But like RedMattis is saying, it's hard for a complete newbie to know -aside from obvious examples, like Epics- what monsters are appropriate for starting players. Is that info in the DF books, or is it something we just need to get a feel for?
It's something you just need to get a feel for, really. Try comparing stats between the PCs and monsters on a 1-to-1 basis (eg: "These things have higher skill than the characters, so they will hit them more frequently and get past their defenses more. Better make sure the PCs outnumber them if I want them to win" etc) and running some practice fights on your own (or with the players, if they are willing and also new to the system).

@Mailanka: Do you mind if the rest of us post worked samples using these templates here for the noobs, preferably with full transparency like the last Orc above?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #74
Mailanka

Quote:
But like RedMattis is saying, it's hard for a complete newbie to know -aside from obvious examples, like Epics- what monsters are appropriate for starting players. Is that info in the DF books, or is it something we just need to get a feel for?
There are some really good suggestions in DF 2. My suggestions on point values will be helpful too, but don't cling to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
@Mailanka: Do you mind if the rest of us post worked samples using these templates here for the noobs, preferably with full transparency like the last Orc above?
Knock yourself out.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #75
The_Nightwatch

Quote:
I'd just caution that there's no magic formula that I've ever seen:

- In a very early GURPS game (2nd ed.), my brother and I had 100-point PCs, and ran into 3 25-point orcs. We each had one in front, then one got behind. Result: we did kill them all, but ended up 1 dead, 1 crippled.

- Had a PC super once (3rd ed.) who absolutely cleaned everyone's clock; she had 20d Absorption feeding her moderate-to-start-with TK, and once she absorbed some damage, she clobbered everything. Then had a 50-point TL 8 merc catch her with nothing absorbed yet; he had an SMG with AP rounds. First burst into the chest, then walked the burst up into her brain. The AP went through her DR (Absorption was filled by the 2nd burst), and she was dead before she could do anything.

In other words: it all depends on the situation. If the group has a weakness (attacks from behind, too much damage before getting a turn) and the tactical situation reflects it, the group can get toasted. Sometimes the situation will defy expectations.
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #76
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Faeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Knock yourself out.
Thanks! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Red Caps (Iron Boots of stomping which allows them to run super fast, Eagle claws to tear people apart with and of course their need to soak their caps into the blood of their victims)
Because I take requests:

Generic Red Cap (Worthy)

Malice incarnate, the Red Caps are the terror of unruly children and travelers who lose their way in the woods. They don't particularly care about protecting nature and don't play well with others (including faerie folk), but can often be persuaded to point their aggression at somebody specific by the Forest Royalty. They are quite clever despite their brutality, and will usually attempt to separate and/or ensnare their victims before they strike. Their blows aren't very hard, but rain down with deadly precision and blinding speed (3/Round if they use Rapid Strikes) as the Red Cap dances, cackling, around counterattacks light as a feather.

Code:
ST: 8/9     HP: 8      Speed: 8.0
DX: 17      Will: 12   Move:  10
IQ: 11      Per: 13
HT: 11      FP: 11     SM: -5
Dodge: 13   Parry: 15  DR:  0/4
Eagle Claws (24): 1d-2 Cutting
Iron Stompin' Boots (22): 1d Crushing

Traits: Appearance (Ugly), Bully (12-), Claws (Sharp), Combat Reflexes, Dependency (Mana, Constantly), Enhanced Dodge, Extra Attack (Multi-Strike), Loner (6-, -4), Magery 0, Night Vision 3, Striking ST +1, Sure-Footed (Tangled Growth), Vulnerability (Pure Iron X2),

Skills: Brawling DX+7 [24]-24, Climbing DX+1 [4]-18, Stealth DX+2 [8]-19, Tactics IQ+2 [12]-13, Traps IQ+2 [8]-13, Wrestling DX+2 [8]-19

Class: Faerie

Notes: Truly evil, and unwilling to negotiate. The Stompin' Boots are lootable (if you happen to be SM -5) sollerets that provide DR 4 to the feet and convert kicking damage to iron damage if it matters.
To create this classic monster, I started off with Mailanka's basic Pixie Soldier template, then made them one SM bigger and three steps uglier, ripped off the wings, deleted Impulsiveness, and added claws through the magic of creative license, and selected Brawling and Loner instead of Bow and Sense of Duty (Nature) for the options on the basic Stalker template. I then improved the Stalker template to Cunning, Swift Stalker (choosing Tangled Growth terrain and Climbing skill for the options), added the Basic and Swift Killer templates (choosing the extra ST bonuses because they already got Combat Reflexes from Swift Stalker, adding Bully, and improving Brawling by 16 points), and finally added the Basic Brute template (choosing yet more ST, Vulnerability to Pure Iron, and Brawling/Wrestling) to make them tough little bastards for their size and speed.

Marrow Mouth (Boss)

One of the most clever, feared, and deadly Red Caps known, Marrow Mouth's tall, pointy hat stands straight up, stiffened by being soaked and re-soaked in decades of blood. Though he is as solitary as his kin, he is more likely to interact with his prey because he enjoys spinning a good yarn and frightening people before he kills them.

Code:
ST: 9/10    HP: 21     Speed: 10.0
DX: 20      Will: 18   Move:  12
IQ: 13      Per: 18
HT: 12      FP: 12     SM: -5
Dodge: 16   Parry: 21  DR:  2*/6
Eagle Claws (30): 1d-2 Cutting
Iron Stompin' Boots (28): 1d Crushing

Traits: Accelerated Time Rate (Maximum Duration 10 seconds -75%), Appearance (Ugly), Bully (12-), Claws (Sharp), Combat Reflexes, Compulsive Lying (12-), Dependency (Mana, Constantly), Enhanced Dodge +2, Enhanced Parry +2 (Unarmed), Extra Attack (Multi-Strike), Indomitable, Loner (6-, -4), Magery 0, Night Vision 3, Striking ST +1, Sure-Footed (Tangled Growth), Unfazeable, Vulnerability (Pure Iron X2),

Skills: Brawling DX+10 [36]-30, Climbing DX+1 [4]-21, Intimidation Will+2 [8]-20, Stealth DX+2 [8]-22, Tactics IQ+2 [12]-16, Traps IQ+2 [8]-16, Wrestling DX+2 [8]-22

Class: Faerie

Notes: Unwilling to negotiate, but may pretend to be to give himself the opportunity to make blood-curdling threats. The Stompin' Boots are lootable (if you happen to be SM -5) sollerets that provide DR 4 to the feet and convert kicking damage to iron damage if it matters. All other DR is Tough Skin.
To make this nasty little fellow, I just took the basic Red Cap, above, and improved his Basic Brute template to Hardy, Graceful, and Stolid Brute, improved his Swift Killer template to Elegant and Greater Swift Killer, and added the Basic Trickster template (choosing Perception, Compulsive Lying, and Intimidation). Note that he gets a 2-Hex Step with his Move 12. His tactics are similar to those of his lesser brethren only smarter and better, and he will typically use his ATR intelligently for an AoA (Strong or Double) followed by a normal Attack (usually with one or two Rapid Strikes) or other non-AoA maneuver so he retains his considerable full active defenses.

For a similar but Epic Boss Red Cap, throw on a few more things like Nightmarish Trickster, Greater Power Killer, and Blood Caster and you're cooking with gas.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 10-30-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #77
Mailanka

Quote:
To create this classic monster, I started off with Mailanka's basic Pixie Soldier template, then made them one SM bigger and three steps uglier, ripped off the wings, deleted Impulsiveness, and added claws through the magic of creative license, and selected Brawling and Loner instead of Bow and Sense of Duty (Nature) for the options on the basic Stalker template. I then improved the Stalker template to Cunning, Swift Stalker (choosing Tangled Growth terrain and Climbing skill for the options), added the Swift Killer template (choosing the extra ST bonuses because they already got Combat Reflexes from Swift Stalker, adding Bully, and improving Brawling by 16 points), and finally added the Basic Brute template (choosing yet more ST, Vulnerability to Pure Iron, and Brawling/Wrestling) to make them tough little bastards for their size and speed.
*Edits*

Alrighty, you noticed that Pixies are Stalkers, good. And HP totaled up correctly (Pixies only start with 1 HP), but what I've bolded confuses me. You've not added the Swift Killer template, but both Killer and Swift Killer. That means he's got Stalker, Cunning Stalker, Swift Stalker, Brute, Killer, Swift Killer, for about 300 points or so. I personally prefer 150-200, as I found that tends to be a solid challenge for most players. If you look at the resulting numbers, you'll notice a Dodge of 13 (16 on a retreat) layered atop a -5 to hit. He's gonna be hell to hit, and he's getting off two attacks in a turn while still dodging like mad. I think your players are going to find him definitely on the tough side.

On the other hand, 8 hit points, loner 6 and Bully (so two red-caps in a room will try to snap at one another, and the other will hate it. Something easily exploited by players). The vulnerability won't matter too much, though, because it's so hard to hit and has so few hit-points.

If I were using him, I'd probably ditch the Swift Killer Template. I'm not sure what else I'd kill, though. Maybe get rid of Enhanced Dodge via "creative license" You've picked templates as much for the disads as the advantages, and getting rid of that will kill his flavor some. He's nasty, worse than the Faun Knight, I think, but not so much that players would throw up their hands and walk away. You wouldn't want to fight a dozen of these guys, but with their disads, you'll never have to.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #78
Mailanka

Quote:
To make this nasty little fellow, I just took the basic Red Cap, above, and improved his Basic Brute template to Hardy, Graceful, and Stolid Brute, improved his Swift Killer template to Elegant and Greater Swift Killer, and added the Basic Trickster template (choosing Perception, Compulsive Lying, and Intimidation). Note that he gets a 2-Hex Step with his Move 12. His tactics are similar to those of his lesser brethren only smarter and better, and he will typically use his ATR intelligently for an AoA (Strong or Double) followed by a normal Attack (usually with one or two Rapid Strikes) or other non-AoA maneuver so he retains his considerable full active defenses.
This one is about 700 points or so... which is fine. I just wouldn't call him a "lesser" boss. I think he's probably about as tough as most bosses, a real challenge to crack, I think, but nothing clever players couldn't overcome.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #79
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
[snip] You've not added the Swift Killer template, but both Killer and Swift Killer. That means he's got Stalker, Cunning Stalker, Swift Stalker, Brute, Killer, Swift Killer, for about 300 points or so. I personally prefer 150-200, as I found that tends to be a solid challenge for most players. If you look at the resulting numbers, you'll notice a Dodge of 13 (16 on a retreat) layered atop a -5 to hit. He's gonna be hell to hit, and he's getting off two attacks in a turn while still dodging like mad. I think your players are going to find him definitely on the tough side.

On the other hand, 8 hit points, loner 6 and Bully (so two red-caps in a room will try to snap at one another, and the other will hate it. Something easily exploited by players).
Yep, they're tough. I thought the Basic Killer template stacked with the other Killer templates; your notes seem to indicate that only the Greater versions include what comes before them. I figured the low damage and unwillingness to cooperate with anything else would nerf them down to Worthy level despite having more templates than the norm, but YMMV if your PCs lack wide-area attack spells, undodgeable spells resisted by IQ or HT, and the good sense to try to surround the thing. My DF party would find it an amusing distraction unless it got really lucky with a trap. :)

Quote:
This one is about 700 points or so... which is fine. I just wouldn't call him a "lesser" boss. I think he's probably about as tough as most bosses, a real challenge to crack, I think, but nothing clever players couldn't overcome.
Fair enough; title edited. If I was going to use him as the "real" boss of the scenario, I'd probably try to finagle up some fodder for him though... maybe some pixies who have been Intimidated into attacking trapped characters on his behalf (while he stays far away because he can't stand them). :)
Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #80
Mailanka

Quote:
Yep, they're tough. I thought the Basic Killer template stacked with the other Killer templates; your notes seem to indicate that only the Greater versions include what comes before them. I figured the low damage and unwillingness to cooperate with anything else would nerf them down to Worthy level despite having more templates than the norm, but YMMV if your PCs lack wide-area attack spells, undodgeable spells resisted by IQ or HT, and the good sense to try to surround the thing. My DF party would find it an amusing distraction unless it got really lucky with a trap. :)
Ohhh, he's definitely in the worthy range, just on the higher end. My preference for 150-200 point is just that, a preference. As your players get more powerful, though, those things won't be a challenge to them anymore.

As for your question about the basic templates: You're right, the Swift Killer template DOES stack on the Killer template. However, the Swift Killer template does not have the Combat Reflexes/+1 ST option, nor the extra skills or disadvantages. It just has Extra Attack and +1 basic speed. Hence why I bolded that portion of your text: your statement implied you also took the Killer template.

EDIT: Because this is getting confusing.

Your post (My comments in bold)

Quote:
To create this classic monster, I started off with Mailanka's basic Pixie Soldier template, then made them one SM bigger and three steps uglier, ripped off the wings, deleted Impulsiveness, and added claws through the magic of creative license, and selected Brawling and Loner instead of Bow and Sense of Duty (Nature) for the options on the basic Stalker template (Fair Enough, we have Stalker).

I then improved the Stalker template to Cunning (Plus Cunning Stalker),

Swift Stalker (Plus Swift Stalker, so far so good) (choosing Tangled Growth terrain and Climbing skill for the options),

added the Swift Killer template (That's +1 Basic Speed and Extra Attack (Multi-Strike, which we see in your stat-block, so far so good)

(choosing the extra ST bonuses because they already got Combat Reflexes from Swift Stalker, adding Bully, and improving Brawling by 16 points (None of this is in the Swift Killer template. This is all from the Killer template. So we also have the Killer TEmplate)),

and finally added the Basic Brute template (choosing yet more ST, Vulnerability to Pure Iron, and Brawling/Wrestling) (And the Brute Template) to make them tough little bastards for their size and speed.

You seem to think you have Stalker, Cunning Stalker, Swift Stalker, Swift Killer, and Brute, but you clearly also have the basic Killer template here.

Last edited by Mailanka; 10-29-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Tags
bestiary, dungeon fantasy, homebrew, monsters