Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
GWFKanyon
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Default Trap & Item Question & Conflicts

Just recently bought the Rick & Morty Munchkin game, and have never played one of these before along with a few friends who have played other versions but not for awhile. To say the least there has been quite a few disagreements so I'm hoping the people on this forum can help me out.

1. When combat occurs for Player A, and Player B joins in to help defeat the monster, and Player C uses a Trap on Player B that has the effect of +2 combat bonus nullified until their next turn, with it being Player A's turn, does the next turn imply Player B's turn right after Player A or does it imply the effect lats for the full Player B's turn and then on their next turn it goes away in the beginning?

2. Items seem to be able to be played at any time except during combat, but once combat is over and say Player A defeated the monster, drew their treasure card(s) and didn't have over 5 cards in their hand, so their was no need for the Charity phase, does their turn immediately end and they play their treasures on their next turn or does enough time need to be given to play the treasure cards just received?

3. I've also seen in some Munchkin rules they talk about conflicts between cards and rules and it states the owner of the game has the last word. This seem to imply the owner of the card game decides what is right and wrong if their is an argument. Is this accurate?

Any insight would be appreciated as we try to learn this, fun, but currently frustrating game.
GWFKanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Trap & Item Question & Conflicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWFKanyon View Post
1. When combat occurs for Player A, and Player B joins in to help defeat the monster, and Player C uses a Trap on Player B that has the effect of +2 combat bonus nullified until their next turn, with it being Player A's turn, does the next turn imply Player B's turn right after Player A or does it imply the effect lats for the full Player B's turn and then on their next turn it goes away in the beginning?
It's the start of Player B's next turn, whenever that turn happens. If you Curse someone like this and it's not their turn, the Curse will expire as soon as that player starts their turn -- which makes me wonder why Player C didn't play it on Player A and get more use out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWFKanyon View Post
2. Items seem to be able to be played at any time except during combat, but once combat is over and say Player A defeated the monster, drew their treasure card(s) and didn't have over 5 cards in their hand, so their was no need for the Charity phase, does their turn immediately end and they play their treasures on their next turn or does enough time need to be given to play the treasure cards just received?
You have time to play more cards before Charity -- in fact, the Charity rule says (or SHOULD say -- I haven't checked the R&M set in a while) specifically that you can play cards out of your hand, if you have some, to avoid giving Charity at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWFKanyon View Post
3. I've also seen in some Munchkin rules they talk about conflicts between cards and rules and it states the owner of the game has the last word. This seem to imply the owner of the card game decides what is right and wrong if their is an argument. Is this accurate?
That's a last-resort, "the game has stalled because Spyke and Flower refuse to come to an agreement" rule. A game order who uses it to rule the table in other circumstances is being a bit of a jerk. It's always better to have everyone come to an agreement, or at least to a point of "I don't like it but clearly I'm the only one, so let's play it your way for now and ask SJ Games later." :-)
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
If you have a question that isn't getting answered, we have a thread for that.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.