Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default [Magical Styles] Using Styles to Replace "Fantasy Classes"

Okay, I've had this idea of using Magical Styles (of Thaumaturgy: Magical Styles) to fill in the role of "Spellcaster Classes" like Clerics and Druids in a Fantasy setting, without having to use Power Investiture. This would help flesh out settings like Banestorm, where the "Clerics" are really just Wizards with Clerical Investment.

Temple Styles would effectively replace the need for a Cleric or Druid, for example. Bardic magic could involve a Guild style, and a "Paladin" would involve a blend of Martial and Temple Style perks and skills.

I'm asking for advice though, as I have little experience actually building magical styles.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [Magical Styles] Using Styles to Replace "Fantasy Classes"

You could also have an Elven Fighter-Mage style and a Thief Style with spells like Invisibility, Lockmaster, and Mage Stealth.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Okay, I've had this idea of using Magical Styles (of Thaumaturgy: Magical Styles) to fill in the role of "Spellcaster Classes" like Clerics and Druids in a Fantasy setting, without having to use Power Investiture. This would help flesh out settings like Banestorm, where the "Clerics" are really just Wizards with Clerical Investment.

Temple Styles would effectively replace the need for a Cleric or Druid, for example. Bardic magic could involve a Guild style, and a "Paladin" would involve a blend of Martial and Temple Style perks and skills.

I'm asking for advice though, as I have little experience actually building magical styles.
The simple approach is to start with a list of spells that are essential to the function of the class. "Druids" have to have Plant and Animal spells. Other kinds of clerics need spells that represent their specific gods or religions. For example a religion that buries people with ceremonies would have a use for "Final Rest" A paladin might need "Affect Spirit" to fight insubstantial entities of evil. Once you make that list, you need to look at the prerequisite lists and either add the prerequisites, or change them to something that fits better. Or entirely bypass them with a perk. Then just add appropriate advantages and quirks as required or optional
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:40 AM   #4
fifiste

Seems so much more hassle than to look at the spells that a druid or cleric might need and just say - well you can have this as long as you have high enough investment level.
(I hate the prereq chains with passion myself though)
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Greg 1

Many worked examples here and you can add your own when you've written them:

https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/GURPS...es_Fan_Netbook

I think magical styles work very well as a replacement to fantasy classes. Fantasy classes have the advantage of niche protection, but the disadvantage of artificiality. Magical styles don't feel artificial because they can't clash with magical reality.

Magical styles can also potentially individualize a setting more easily than fantasy classes, just because the rules of magic can be whatever the GM likes.

One easy trap to fall into is putting too many spells in a style, so that your styles lose their distinctness. Possibly, the best way around this is to allow wizards to learn more than one style. That way, an uber-mage can have a wide variety of tricks to draw on without mastering a style that is crazily broad.

Last edited by Greg 1; 03-05-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Greg 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Gnomasz

When I needed a clerical school, I've taken the Cleric's spell list from DF 1: Adventurers, left the circles as is and given them a prerequisite count, like in Restructuring Prerequisites on p. 17 of Magical Styles.

If I may suggest one style perk for paladins: a friend of mine hates the penalties for healing own wounds, so I thought this might be good: Heal Self† – it's a Rules Exemption perk that allows the character to heal himself without the general penalty for missing HP. You must specialize by Healing spell.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
Many worked examples here and you can add your own when you've written them:

https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/GURPS...es_Fan_Netbook
Of those, Tricksy Ways is explicitly a Thief style, so that helps.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

I have a half-written book/Pyramid article that essentially does this. The idea isn't original - as has been noted, but I rather like the way I executed it. It'll be out there eventually. One article I just submitted has [FNORD] for using [FNORD] styles in Dungeon Fantasy, so perhaps that might offer up some inspiration.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
Greg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Of those, Tricksy Ways is explicitly a Thief style, so that helps.
The Gentle Art, The Low Road, Footsteps of the Cat, Path of No Path, and the Pure Circle of Shining Illumination are also useful styles for thieving with.

Also,

Souldlbade is a warrior style and Way of the Wolf a ranger style.

Last edited by Greg 1; 03-06-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Greg 1 is online now   Reply With Quote