Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Skills / Techniques for a Police Sketch Artist

What skills does a police sketch artist have / use?

Artist (Drawing) seems pretty important. But there's more to it - the directed questions regarding the appearance of the subject, capturing the appearance of a person they've never seen just from the descriptions of a witness / victim that may have (or think they have) a potentially hazy memory.

So how would you handle a situation where a sketch artist does their magic and sketches a fairly accurate image of a subject? What skills (and techniques) are involved, and how many rolls along the way?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
cosmicfish

Default Re: Skills / Techniques for a Police Sketch Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
What skills does a police sketch artist have / use?

Artist (Drawing) seems pretty important. But there's more to it - the directed questions regarding the appearance of the subject, capturing the appearance of a person they've never seen just from the descriptions of a witness / victim that may have (or think they have) a potentially hazy memory.

So how would you handle a situation where a sketch artist does their magic and sketches a fairly accurate image of a subject? What skills (and techniques) are involved, and how many rolls along the way?
Sounds like Artist (Drawing) and Professional Skill (Sketch Artist) to me. Roll on the latter to get the correct inputs from the witness, the on the former to produce a good likeness from those inputs. I would also consider using a Technique like Get Description (Interrogation) to allow someone who already has Interrogation to get the details, perhaps while someone else does the sketching. Using both allows you to have cops who can get descriptions but can't sketch alongside artists who can go start to finish with the sketches but have no broad ability to interrogate. Can't think of any other skills that would seem appropriate to this highly specific task.

Either way, 2 rolls per sketch.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Gollum

I fully do agree with Cosmicfish. I would just add an optional specialization for Artist (Drawing). It's more easy than the general Artist (Drawing) skill because you don't have to be good at drawing anything; you just have to draw things you did hundreds of times and finally know by heart: this kind of face, this kind of eyes, this kind of nose, etc.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
quarkstomper

Obvious he would have... (heh heh) ... Quick Draw.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I fully do agree with Cosmicfish. I would just add an optional specialization for Artist (Drawing). It's more easy than the general Artist (Drawing) skill because you don't have to be good at drawing anything; you just have to draw things you did hundreds of times and finally know by heart: this kind of face, this kind of eyes, this kind of nose, etc.
Why wouldn't it make sense to make it a technique based on Artist (Drawing)?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
CoyoteGestalt

The Efficient (Artist (Drawing)) perk would probably be of use, too.
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
gilbertocarlos

Seems just like artillery and observation, since you need to rely on descriptions, the base is:
Roll against Profession(Sketch-artist)-10.
Roll Drawing with the margin of failure above.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Sounds like Artist (Drawing) and Professional Skill (Sketch Artist) to me. Roll on the latter to get the correct inputs from the witness, the on the former to produce a good likeness from those inputs.
How would racial or sexual biases of the sketcher affect the Profesional Skill roll, causing him to be less able to ask leading questions and potentially polluting the victim's memory?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I think a Technique off Artist (Drawing might make more sense.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
How would racial or sexual biases of the sketcher affect the Profesional Skill roll, causing him to be less able to ask leading questions and potentially polluting the victim's memory?
How would they affect any other skill roll?
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artist, sketch artist, skills, techniques