Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #61
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Cussing in the Imperial Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
So what is tabooed talk among Imperial servants?
You mercenary peeper!, unregulated lurker!, long nosed sniffer!, it's furtive voyeurs like you who creep us all out!!!

For people jealous of their privacy in a high tech setting, or you could just end up with a lot of bodily function references...
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #62
Agemegos

Default Re: Flat Black

Since it has Navy insignia as well as Marines ones, I am re-posting here a link to the graphics file that contains Imperial armed services insignia of rank, for comment:
insignia_working.png.

While I'm in the vicinity, perhaps some service awards: Medals.gif.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #63
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Since it has Navy insignia as well as Marines ones, I am re-posting here a link to the graphics file that contains Imperial armed services insignia of rank, for comment:
insignia_working.png.
If you're modeling the Imperial Navy on any current military Navy you're going to need Warrants, in the British and US ships I've served on Warrants are an intrinsic necessity, if you remove them you'd have to substitute in professional civilian contract engineers and tradesmen to take their place.

Personally I prefer the US system where the Warrants are a third leg of professional officers outside the line officer commissioned path.

Quote:
While I'm in the vicinity, perhaps some service awards: Medals.gif.
I would suggest adding Commendation, Achievement, Campaign and Service awards/ribbons. Nothing like being able to look at someone's chest and know how many years of space time they have, how many planetary deployments, which actions they've seen, what combat they've seen, etc.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #64
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
If you're modeling the Imperial Navy on any current military Navy you're going to need Warrants, in the British and US ships I've served on Warrants are an intrinsic necessity,
Royal Navy warrant officers are senior NCOs ranking directly above chief petty officers at E-7 and E-8. I'll put them back in in place of the upper NCO ranks I have now.

Quote:
if you remove them you'd have to substitute in professional civilian contract engineers and tradesmen to take their place.
Essentially Imperial Navy ratings do what warrant officers do in the current US services, and machines do what current enlisted do. Like Imperial marines, Imperial naval ratings are highly-skilled long-service professionals. At TL 10 there is nothing much for a semi-skilled hand to do on a spaceship that a machine can't do better.

Quote:
I would suggest adding Commendation, Achievement, Campaign and Service awards/ribbons. Nothing like being able to look at someone's chest and know how many years of space time they have, how many planetary deployments, which actions they've seen, what combat they've seen, etc.
I have always imagined (and, for that matter written) that there must be general service medals and campaign decorations for, for instance, major interventions and for tours in different sectors. I've just never given any thought to what they looked like. There are about 21 interventions per year, two dozen sectors to serve in, a thousand planets to do Public Duties on. Given my limited artistic ability illustrating all the different ribbons would be quite impractical. And I doubt anyone would learn the full set of three thousand odd, much less keep up with continual additions. I have a wall chart here showing all the medals issued to Australian servicemen and servicewomen. It was printed in 1988 and the latest service medal on it is for operations in Egypt in 1975. Even missing 30% of Australia's history it has 94 different medals on it. The Imperial equivalent is daunting even to think about.

A marine who serves to retirement will do Fleet Protection in four of five sectors and garrison duty on at least four planets, and take part in about five interventions. People's chests are going to fill up with ribbons that no-one can read.

Commendation decorations are a good thought, though. Essentially the DSC, DSM, and ISM on that chart are high-level commendations. I ought to think about some more modest ones.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 09-14-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #65
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
A marine who serves to retirement will do Fleet Protection in four sectors and garrison duty on four planets, and take part in five interventions. People's chests are going to fill up with ribbons that no-one can read.
Have sector ribbons for service there, and a device to mount on it for having done an intervention there? That keeps things manageable while still giving a general idea of what someone has done. To amplify it a bit, have clasps for each intervention to be worn on sector ribbons when you're wearing full medals.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 AM   #66
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Have sector ribbons for service there, and a device to mount on it for having done an intervention there? That keeps things manageable while still giving a general idea of what someone has done. To amplify it a bit, have clasps for each intervention to be worn on sector ribbons when you're wearing full medals.
Good plan.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #67
Urban

Since this is the future why not use medals that contains electronic reference data so that people with implants or visors etc can scan pertinent data?

Or use a medal/clasp with a numerical symbol to designate number of assault landings etc.

So you can see a salty marine NCO with a clasp that has the number 154 electronically on his assault landing clasp compared to a fairly new marine Private who only has 2.

Extravagant medals should really only be used for major heroics or large numbers of deeds. For example conducting 100+ assault landings give you a clasp that has a golden rim around it to further show that this is one bad-ass marine.
Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #68
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Royal Navy warrant officers are senior NCOs ranking directly above chief petty officers at E-7 and E-8. I'll put them back in in place of the upper NCO ranks I have now.
I prefer the US setup of Warrants, but it's your setting.

Personally I'd also use the term Spacer instead of Astronaut, just flows better, "Able Spacer to airlock 3."
Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #69
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban View Post
Since this is the future why not use medals that contains electronic reference data so that people with implants or visors etc can scan pertinent data?
Why put the data in the medals? Give the service person one RFID chip (in his or her name-plate, perhaps?) and put the information in a database on a server.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #70
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Why put the data in the medals? Give the service person one RFID chip (in his or her name-plate, perhaps?)
Just make sure not to take that RFID chip on operations: a way of IDing Imperial Marines with mere TL8 electronics will be enthusiastically exploited by makers of IEDs.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi