Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > Gamer Finder

Old 08-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
alexborders

Default Rusty player looking for fresh group

I've been wanting to get back into RPGs, and, well, we've all got more time now, right? Plus the current pandemic is kinda forcing us to be all virtual anyway, which eliminates the need to find a game close enough to get to reliably.

Anyway, Looking for a GURPS game (or pretty much anything - I'm very flexible on system). I'd rather play something with an SF theme (been getting a Traveller itch lately), but I'm certainly willing to consider the right fantasy game.

I've got no experience with 4th Ed. - my last active RPG experience is over 20 years ago. Yes, I'm that geezer. Lots of experience with GURPS 1st through 3rd edition, Hero 5th Ed., and D&D 1st Ed. Remember what I said? Geezer. Some WoD experience, but not much.

I'm available weekends, preferably once or twice a month. I'm west-coast US (San Francisco area), so you have an idea for time zone issues.

If your interested (or just want to chat), drop me an email here, or at:
redrob@crossovers.net

And yes, I know I'm not the only geezer on here, much less the oldest.

Any Las Vegas Hellions around? Or SNAFFU members?
alexborders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
Chris_0369

Default Re: Rusty player looking for fresh group

Virtual Table Tops seem to be the answer lately. The two most common appear to be Fantasy Grounds and Roll20. But I am sure there are many more including play by post on various voice servers. The brand of RPG can be a little trickier but some of the major titles are available.
I am trying to remember where I found a link to a Google Sheets listing of all people hosting and looking for a game. It did have POC and VTT platform info for GMs looking for players and Players looking for groups.
Another option is to find the forum for which ever VTT you are looking at and look for the "LFG" thread. Or even hop on Discord or other chat server and find one that way. Someone created a Fan-based GURPS Discord channel. The link to it is somewhere in the SJG forum.
I would host a GURPS game on the VTT I use but I do not have anything set up and it would take me a bit to try to put something together in GURPS or DFRPG. And I am currently juggling a game in a different system.
But best of luck.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
ak_aramis

Default Re: Rusty player looking for fresh group

Note that a virtual table top is only essential when...
  • You need to emulate minis on map
  • You don't or won't trust the player to report the dice rolls fairly.
  • Your chat solution lacks a shared roller.

The value-add is being able to find a new group for low-popularity systems; the side effect is that some players become toxic when they know they stand little chance of FTF interaction with other players in the future. (Internet Troll Syndrome.)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote