Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Replying to Plane

Over on the CCG forum, Plane wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Okay so that's what I just tried out at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/demo.html and would be either the basic or foil version (same price!) at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/ ?
Yes, that's the original Munchkin game. The contents of the two boxes are the same; just the box itself is different.

Quote:
It says it includes a rule sheet which I guess is similar to the PDFs at http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules/ ?
Yes.

Quote:
I'm not sure what CCG version refers to...
The CCG is the Collectible Card Game; it's an entirely different game experience for two players who are directly attacking and defending against each other. (Sorry for using the initials - since you were posting in the CCG forum, I thought you already knew about that game.)

Quote:
I'd be curious on guidelines on how to combine them, like if you wanted to merge the Marvel set with the X-Men set, TMNT with Conan, Christmas with Nightmare Before Christmas, or TMNT with Wizard of Oz. Would it be as simple as shuffling the decks together?
Pretty much! A few odd cases require interpreting some rules, but basically, if you can play one Munchkin card game, you can play all of them.

Quote:
With double the cards, maybe the level limit should be doubled from 10 to 20 so it's a longer game and you can play through the entire deck? Or do people tend to play through and reshuffle decks anyway so bigger decks would just mean fewer reshuffles?
Going to Level 20 is called "Epic" play. For a long time, we supported that officially with a rule set, but recently we've decided to focus our efforts on the regular game and are treating Epic Munchkin as unofficial rules - if they're fun for your group, fantastic! use them - but we won't be writing any further Epic rules.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Replying to Plane

I've been reading the different rule PDFs, it sounds like Mounts/Steeds and Allies/Hirelings are essentially the same thing under different terms, similar to "Accents" replaces "Races" in Booty, or "Citizenship" replacing Race/Class in Nightmare Before Christmas. In that case Race/Class enhancers would be less valuable to anyone who gets those cards, but I guess you could allow all 3 or even 4? A level 1 French Elf Warrior from Easter Town?

The epic rules are cool, so its tempting to prioritize the sets which have them. Since it's unfair to the sets which don't, a modified form could simply increase the level limit to 20 (including cannot level to 19/20 without killing) but without the special race/class benefits.

Where it seems disadvantageous to used mixed decks would be for certain cards that rely on exploiting cards unique to that deck, like (reading the free "Thingies" summaries) the "Manpower" of "Man" class in Axe Cop (only benefit is from "Man" cards) or Gnomes' not being pursued by "Nose" monsters, when Man/Nose cards compose a lower % of the cards.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Replying to Plane

Quote:
I've been reading the different rule PDFs, it sounds like Mounts/Steeds and Allies/Hirelings are essentially the same thing under different terms, similar to "Accents" replaces "Races" in Booty, or "Citizenship" replacing Race/Class in Nightmare Before Christmas. In that case Race/Class enhancers would be less valuable to anyone who gets those cards, but I guess you could allow all 3 or even 4? A level 1 French Elf Warrior from Easter Town?
You're misunderstanding the rule. The various new character traits don't replace Class and/or Race; you can have an Elf Pirate with a French Accent who is from Halloween Town if you want.

There's a lot more information about what traits do and don't mean the same things in the Munchkin FAQ.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote