Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Iceking007

Default Death... and a few Questions of Wondering

Hello I have probably played Munchkin about 4 times on two separate occasions, once about a week ago and the other almost a year. I have just ordered all Space editions, MI, the 4th Christmas, two battle counters, boxes of holding (whish I could get them in MI flavor) and all Zombies I'm also planning on buying G.B&M Fairy dust and dice, radioactive dice, bag of dice, Apocalypse, Super 1&2 and deluxe munchkin with all expansions once my pocket book catch up but that's another few hundred. One of my friends has all 9 original Munchkin, my other friend has upto 7 so I figured these will give us a change and a part of the Munchkin Saga I can Own that's different and unique. In preparation for the delivery on Tuesday I've downloaded ALL pdfs and started reading them.

DEATH:
I am confused about the death rule; when we have played if a Munchkin dies they discard all cards and start again at level 1 human ect; in reading I've discovered this is wrong, it seems like to me that you discard some cards every one loots you then you get rid of any left-overs...but you keep your race class and level?

So if I'm a Gnome Thief Super Munchkin level 9; then I'm still at level nine and the same but no cards on the table (why wouldn't I just keep my cards to remember) plus how can I die but win the game the next turn?

APOCALYPSE:
Do Seal cards get shuffled or are they in numbered order like in the demo (never played just read all the rules as I've said which is remarkable since I hate to read...how very Munchkinly of me I know) I imagine you shuffle them for randomization but how do you not draw the 7 when all six players draw one card each?I believe to start the game or at any time I suppose as there aren't that many and they have their own deck but I suppose this is also the point and much easier to understand while playing sorry for this.

BONUS CARDS:
Free bonus cards when we buy 5 boosters...awesome if I buy most of these elsewhere but the warehouse 10,11 and 12 boosters can you ship all my cards together or do I still need to pay extra shipping? Can I just take a picture and send in the numbers of the UPC via email or something rather than cutting up my boxes if I want to keep them for collector sake?

CTHLUHU:
ERR....Klul-loo? I understand this is based on another book and a game, some forum posts have been disappointed that it's not accurate to the story line; I'm not interested in that as stated above I'm looking for something I can bring to the table and be happy with instead of my friends owning all the fun. It's hard competing with 9 expansions we all have fun and play for a long time but best I can do is buy three separate editions and put them together.

So my question would be is it catered to these fans or munchkin fans; if you don't know anything about CTHULHU the picture on the box looks enticing but an expensive way to go just to try it out....I would love to putt these all together to build a nice big deck but I don't think everything will play nice even though they are said to fit I foresee massive teething pains and complexity forcing an issue that...well just might not work out the way I hope.

Ofcourse I can always put my decks together and will, to try it but I don't think the smoothness of Munchkin 1-9 will ever be achieved. In reading Star Munchkin and MI seem like they may make the best fit of the other possibilities, I'm also thinking Zombies and Apocalypse should work...the others (including the Santa series I'm hoping to get all of) will fit the best with Munchkin original but can be mashed all in for some weird fun every once and awhile.

I'm really hoping for more MI sets (7+ :D one can hope) the most cuz then I will have something to share; I'm also hopeful of Star Munchkin expansions, Zombies ofcourse are cool, and Apocalypse if it doesn't fit well with the Zombies I'd be looking for more of those.

Thank you for your time sorry for the long post I'm sure I'll have more questions and I've just created 70+ cards the last day or two which I'll be sending in once I get them polished up.
Iceking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Blazinjsin

Default Re: Death... and a few Questions of Wondering

Death: When you die, all cards in your hand and all cards you have in play (except for race or class cards) can get looted. Each opponent, starting with the highest level, may loot one card from this pile. Any cards left after each player takes one are discarded. You stay at the same level and keep your race and class cards. On YOUR next turn, you draw 4 new cards from each deck and begin where you left off.

Apocalypse: The Seal cards get shuffled. Nobody draws a seal card unless a card says to open a seal, or someone dies. They do not go into your hand ever, they simply stay in the middle of the table in their own pile.

Bonus Cards: If you buy 5 boosters from W23 (which you might as well if you're ordering all that other stuff) they will include in your order however many you qualified for (at 5 packs per card). This applies to ANY boosters. If you get them elsewhere, you'll need to actually cut off the bar codes.

Cthulhu: You don't need to be familiar with the mythos to enjoy this set. I've been playing it for a year and just recently bought to books to read so I would get more of the jokes.

As for mixing sets, I would strongly recommend playing each set by itself first to get familiar with how the mechanics work in each before mixing them. Also bear in mind that the more sets you mix together, the more watered down each will become, and the cards that are meant to interact with each other will be further apart. Fairy Dust and Munchkinomicon form their own separate decks and do not get mixed in, and will work just fine with any set.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Iceking007

Oh... I see so it says you loose all of your stuff; but how you loose it is by putting down your hand and having every one take a card then discarding the leftovers? I thought it was you loose all your stuff then put your hand (initially on the first two reads I thought they actually mean your real hand) down beside your cards and they pick the rest and then through all the rest away.

You're right if you mix the decks everyone rolls a d6 but otherwise you just pull a seal with a card,I thought everyone draws a seal at the beginning.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Clipper

You place all the cards you will be losing together. This includes all your Items that were on the table and the cards that were in your hand, essentially everything except the things the Rules tell you to keep (Race and Class for Munchkin, but other cards, like Powers, might be protected in other sets). You also keep any continuing curses that had been placed on you.

Now, from that set of cards that you are due to lose, each player gets to loot one of those cards and they put that card in their hand. After everybody has one card, you discard the remainder.

And yes, Apocalypse has that special rule on a per turn basis when you blend it with other sets. You still follow the rules for Opening and Closing Seals as described in the Apocalypse rules, which makes it clear there is a single stack of opened seals and nobody ever draws them or plays them.

Last edited by Clipper; 02-10-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
cbunny84

Ok. This sounds silly to ask but, how do u actually die? Just from if the monster kills you through "bad stuff"? As in its written. Or is there another way?
cbunny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Blazinjsin

The main way of dying is if you fail to run away and the monster's bad stuff is death. There are a few other cards that make you die, but that's the most common way.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Iceking007

Yeah there is no way I'm cutting up my boxes so unless I buy twice as many expansions; no bonus cards for me.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceking007 View Post
Yeah there is no way I'm cutting up my boxes so unless I buy twice as many expansions; no bonus cards for me.
Note that they don't come in boxes, they come in foil wrappers. They look like this:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...hoto-118-1.jpg

The Warehouse 23 boosters come in ziplock baggies instead.

The expansions that come in the boxes don't qualify for this promotion, only the boosters.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

There are other threads already dedicated to the booster promotion, so I'm declaring it off-topic here. (Iceking, in the future, please don't post a bunch of unrelated questions in a single message.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Iceking007

Understood all.

(Thank you; figured it would be easier in one post rather than many)