Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #21
RevBob

Default Re: House Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz
a year or so back, aftger i first got Bites!, and i think the day after i'd just put in my green mohawk, we played bites! for the first time, and in my starting hand i got 'Punk Hairstyle'. it just seemed *so* appropriate, lolol.
A couple of years ago now, at a convention demo, I wound up playing Bites with a total of seven people. I only had six Real Minis to use for the board, so I pulled out the ankylosaur from my copy of Dino Hunt and let the other folks use the minis. Over the course of the game, I wound up with both the Prehistoric Fetish and the Spiked Collar. It was pretty much unanimously determined that I was playing an S&M dinosaur....

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #22
Diogenes Shandor

Default Two Player Rules

Yesterday I had a friend over and we played a few games of Munchkin. We only had two people though, so for one of the games we tried out some rules that I had come up for, for when playing with only two people:

Basically, each person plays as two people (referred to herein as "characters"), with seperate levels, items, powers, races, classes, and hands of cards (etc.); Play alternates so that player 1 plays as their first character, than player two as THEIR first character, than player 1's second character, then player 2's second character. Additionally you are only allowed to play cards on or trade items with (etc.) the other player's characters, not between your own characters; the exceptions being that the "Charity" phase of the game works normally, so if one of your characters is the lowest level character, you may wind up transferring cards to that hand at the end of your other character's turn, furthermore, each character counts as a seperate player for the purposes of most card effects (generally of of the type where you swap races and/or classes and/or powers to the person to your left or right, and for effects that affect all players, and so on) with the exception of cards where the "person to your left" or "person to your right", or whatever, chooses a card and/or item for you to lose, that is always the actual other player. Additionally, things that affect the "person to your left (or right)" use those directions even though play moves in an N shape
Old 03-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
StaticHamster

I play two player all the time with my girlfriend and we also had to come up with some house rules to make the game work properly.

We give each other 3 coins each that are used to get their help without being played against. You have to use your own cards only to win the battles when using a coin and you cannot use a coin to win the game.

As we found that the thief can be abnormally powerful in a two player game you can also use the coins as theft guards, an item with a coin on it cannot be taken through theft.

Also, things like Potion of Apathy can be used to negate the use of a coin as it would be useless otherwise.

We find that it works pretty well.

We also use a set of Percentile Dice on a level board to keep track of level. The position of one of the dice on the board for level and the numbers on the dice to represent total bonus; since my group is math deficient it helps to easily and quickly be able to say what your "combat level" is.

Last edited by StaticHamster; 03-16-2008 at 04:44 PM.
StaticHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #24
BrockAly

We have quite a few actually:
1. Cheat cards may be shifted between your various cards, unless you are in combat, dead, or something is effecting the card cheat is currently being played on (this includes theft). For example: You cannot remove cheat from the headgear you are wearing if you are cursed to lose your headgear. Cheat is going bye-bye. This rule came about based on our group's propensity to cheat to use something race or class specific and immediately become that race or class.
2. We start with 4 cards of each deck, not 2.
3. When you die, you are dead until you draw your cards to begin your turn. You cannot help anyone, you cannot gain treasure, you cannot loot another Munchkin's body when they die, Divine Intervention does not give you a level (although we have recently allow it to "resurrect" clerics, without giving the level), etc.
BrockAly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #25
Progmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockAly
2. We start with 4 cards of each deck, not 2.
That's not a house rule, it's part of the official Fast Play rules. :-p
Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #26
Hankroyd

Some house rules are used with my group :

The Thief can only steal once per turn. Because a level 1. Some abused of his capacity without any drawback if the theft failed.

Loaded Dice works on ANY dice roll (funner(?) this way)
Re-Loaded Dice works on any dice roll AND all dice rolls after the first (until en of turn)

If we play with more than 4 players, only the players on the left and right of the fighting player can play cards and effect during the fight (but the fighter can ask help to any player) : This way, even with a lot of players, the game doen't last 6 hours. :)
Hankroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #27
BrockAly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
That's not a house rule, it's part of the official Fast Play rules. :-p
Except we don't use any of the other "Fast Play" rules. :)
BrockAly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #28
edgjerp

I often play with this house rule: if player meets a monster that, if defeated, will cause him to win, he has to declare this before resolving combat. failure to do so causes the player to lose 2 levels instead of winning.

this is to stop players that just sit quietly collecting levels while nobody notice it.
edgjerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #29
Proto Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgjerp
I often play with this house rule: if player meets a monster that, if defeated, will cause him to win, he has to declare this before resolving combat. failure to do so causes the player to lose 2 levels instead of winning.

this is to stop players that just sit quietly collecting levels while nobody notice it.
See, from my perspective if a player manages to get to level 9 (or 19) without the other players noticing and then gets an easy kill to win the game then the other players deserve the loss. I mean, isn't keeping track of who is in the lead one of the most important aspects of the strategy of Munchkin?
Proto Persona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:30 AM   #30
Mental_Myopia

When we get down one card in the hand, we yell "Uno!"
-------------------------------------
Mental_Myopia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice