Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default [Powers] Putting multiple abilities into an Alternative Ability slot

A character in my Infinite Cabal campaign who uses psionics, rather than magic, has been feeling rather outdone by the magicians recently. However, if the party succeed in their current attempt to climb Mount Olympus in the world of Orichalcum (Infinite Worlds, pp. 139-40), he is likely to get a chance to re-arrange his abilities and bend the usual limits a bit. He's using abilities from Psionic Powers at present.

He has [80] in Jumper, which is a good baseline for a large Alternative Ability, although it isn't part of one at present. He also has TK Bullet and TK Grab as Alternative Abilities of each other. and Telesend and Telerecieve, which are both standalone.

I've had the idea of making both TK Bullet and TK Grab into a single AA slot. Both would be usable at the same time. In the same way, Telesend and Telerecieve could be a single slot, both being usable at the same time.

Is this permissible? I can't find anything about this in my rules collection, and it's an unusual situation, caused by the campaign history.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: [Powers] Putting multiple abilities into an Alternative Ability slot

If TK Bullet and TK Grab aren't related to the others, you'd have to pay full cost for both of them. If you on the other hand place all of them into one power and pay for the two most expensive powers in the set, you can use two powers at the same time. This could be TK Bullet and TK Grab or any of the two powers in the set.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Refplace

Default Re: [Powers] Putting multiple abilities into an Alternative Ability slot

Nothing wrong with I know of. I do it myself and allow it in my games.
Not much use to doing it with multiple attack powers since without another advantage (Extra Attack, CM or ATR) you get only one attack and switching between attacks is a Free Action.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
RogerBW

I find it aesthetically unappealing, but I don't think it's expressly forbidden. I do like Dragondog's answer of paying for the most expensive two, and then being able to use any two.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
Aldric

That's the sorcery solution.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I don't know of any place where it says it specifically, but generally its something I both allow in my games and encourage. It gets especially fun with leveled abilities, and I think it really helps the powers system compete with some of the other magic systems out there.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
A character in my Infinite Cabal campaign who uses psionics, rather than magic, has been feeling rather outdone by the magicians recently. However, if the party succeed in their current attempt to climb Mount Olympus in the world of Orichalcum (Infinite Worlds, pp. 139-40), he is likely to get a chance to re-arrange his abilities and bend the usual limits a bit. He's using abilities from Psionic Powers at present.

He has [80] in Jumper, which is a good baseline for a large Alternative Ability, although it isn't part of one at present. He also has TK Bullet and TK Grab as Alternative Abilities of each other. and Telesend and Telerecieve, which are both standalone.

I've had the idea of making both TK Bullet and TK Grab into a single AA slot. Both would be usable at the same time. In the same way, Telesend and Telerecieve could be a single slot, both being usable at the same time.

Is this permissible? I can't find anything about this in my rules collection, and it's an unusual situation, caused by the campaign history.
Absolutely. There is nothing in the rules saying you cannot have multiple AAs. In my AEON campaign I require them. Each power has a offensive, defensive, and utility/movement power chain. So supers can use an attack power, a defending power, and a utility power all at once.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
RogerBW

I think possibly there's some confusion in what's being proposed.

It's not:

AA#1 (power A) or (power B) or (power C)
plus
AA#2 (power D) or (power E) or (power F)

as Christopher described. Rather, it's

AA (power A) or (power B) or (power C + power D)

where C and D are distinct abilities, collectively of lower cost than A, which may but need not be used at the same time. Using either or both of them would lock out A and B until the use of C and/or D stops.

On reflection I see why I found it aesthetically unappealing - modulo rounding errors, it costs the same as having each power in a separate slot, but it's better.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I think possibly there's some confusion in what's being proposed.

It's not:

AA#1 (power A) or (power B) or (power C)
plus
AA#2 (power D) or (power E) or (power F)

as Christopher described. Rather, it's

AA (power A) or (power B) or (power C + power D)

where C and D are distinct abilities, collectively of lower cost than A, which may but need not be used at the same time. Using either or both of them would lock out A and B until the use of C and/or D stops.

On reflection I see why I found it aesthetically unappealing - modulo rounding errors, it costs the same as having each power in a separate slot, but it's better.
Ahhh. I see. Yeah, so I do that too. Some abilities require multiple advantages. I call that a feature and move on. It's worked fine for AEON so far. Do note (which is probably obvious) you can't have nested AAs.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I actually run (as a house rule, I suppose) a variant that rejects the idea of slots all together:

Purchase
A [20]
B [15/5 =3]
C [10/5=2]
D [10/5=2]
E [5/5=1]
F [5/5=1]
G [5/5=1]
H [5/5=1]

I then allow as an ready action the player to switch between any combination of abilities adding up to [20]. B and G, B and H, B and E are all valid, as is C and D or C,E, and H.

Its "permissive", yes, but I find that it is less of a headache than tracking slots and mimics the repertoire of a "power" better than using slots.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate abilities, powers, psionic powers