Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
Captain Joy

Default Re: Star Trek Orions

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I still hate "intolerant: legal system"
It's from GURPS: Prime Directive and I'm not shot in the head about it either. Although I do think some kind of -5 disadvantage representing the species proclivity for larceny is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
And why would a pirate have CF Federation? In fact NOT having CF Federation would actually do a good job of representing that they'd bump heads with Federation authorities.
Having a CF in no way implies they get along with that culture. It does mean they suffer no penalties when dealing with that culture. E.g. I don't see them suffering a -3 penalty when haggling with a Federation free trader or vamping a starfleet ensign. I figure most Pirates do what must be done to ensure they are not at a disadvantage in a culture they regularly deal with.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-24-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: significant grammar changes
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
adm

Captain Joy;
That looks like it ought to work fairly well. (I don't like the pheromone idea myself, but what you have should work.) Why is the Radiation Tolerance optional? As a racial feature wouldn't all, or none have it? Or have I forgotten part of your background?

David Johnston2;
G:PD's, and TOS's background have the Orions as being part/closely associated with the Federation. Realistically the CF should depend on where they work, Orions Pirates have bases spread all through the Alpha Sector.

Intolerance legal systems, this is limited to Orion Pirate template the common Orion lacks this Dis Ad in G:PD
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Captain Joy;
That looks like it ought to work fairly well. (I don't like the pheromone idea myself, but what you have should work.) Why is the Radiation Tolerance optional? As a racial feature wouldn't all, or none have it? Or have I forgotten part of your background?
A think a few sources remarked their green skin was a byproduct of their natural protection from a home system of elevated radiation levels. I put it as optional in case I decide later that this isn't the case. :)

Quote:
David Johnston2;
G:PD's, and TOS's background have the Orions as being part/closely associated with the Federation. Realistically the CF should depend on where they work, Orions Pirates have bases spread all through the Alpha Sector.
Right, I gave them CF Federation and Language English because the Orions my players will be encountering will be working in the Federation. In a Klingon campaign, I'd make the appropriate changes.

Quote:
Intolerance legal systems, this is limited to Orion Pirate template the common Orion lacks this Dis Ad in G:PD
Right, but I like Intolerance legal systems for all Orions as it explains why their own government is ineffectual.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-24-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: changed last sentence
Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #24
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Right, but I like Intolerance legal systems for all Orions as it explains why their own government is ineffectual.
On the societal scale, I think giving everybody a "Dislikes the Rule of Law" Quirk would accomplish this adequately. A full-blown [-5]-point Disadvantage along those lines would mean utter anarchy if they all think that way.

Also, calling it Intolerance just bugs me. How does that even work, -3 Reactions with a Neutral cap toward authority figures who enforce the law? Lawyers? Members of Congress?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #25
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
On the societal scale, I think giving everybody a "Dislikes the Rule of Law" Quirk would accomplish this adequately. A full-blown [-5]-point Disadvantage along those lines would mean utter anarchy if they all think that way.?
As it is that culture's defining aspect (in my games, at least, if not actual cannon), I don't mind it at -5 points. Also, the women don't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Also, calling it Intolerance just bugs me. How does that even work, -3 Reactions with a Neutral cap toward authority figures who enforce the law? Lawyers? Members of Congress?
On this we are in complete agreement. But I can't think of anything better. The intolerance is really against legal systems, not a group of people.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-25-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added to last paragraph

Tags
cultural templates, occupational templates, racial template, racial templates, sci-fi, star trek