Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
fifiste

Default willing only afflictions

What would be the cost reduction for afliction that could only work on willing subjects?
What for one that would only work on willing subject and still had to overcome resistance (HT, will etc.)
For example for a guy who has affliction causing tipsy or drunkenness condition on willing subjects only or the same guy but he has hard time causing it to fellows with strong livers etc :D.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: willing only afflictions

Resistible, the bigger the bonus to defend from, the bigger the discount.

Example: If unwilling targets defend with +4, it's -20%
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
the_matrix_walker

I was thinking of the resistible mechanic as well, but altering the resistance roll would affect all targets equally.

As for the need to overcome resistance, that is the default. The target of an Affliction cannot waive resistance (and just be affected), unless the affliction is enhanced with Malediction.

I would just call it an (Accessibility, Only willing subjects, -X%)

It may depend a bit on the other details of the ability, but in general, an attack that only works on the willing should be a pretty hefty limitation, in the -50% region anyway

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 12-28-2012 at 11:18 AM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
fifiste

I also think that 50% shopuld probably be the least discount as I cannot use my sleep (or euphoria or drunkenness) affliction as a weapon (or bad practical "joke") but could open my praxis for chronic insomniacs (or entertainment tent) if I want to.
By default I could also use my sleep affliction on a soldier trying to hack me with a sword etc. so it should cost much more.
The 5% for +1 to resist looks like as good suggestion as anything else. I think the discount for it should depend on its effect as a possible weapon otherwise.
So for making somebody tipsy is a minor inconvenience in combat it should be like 30% discount, making somebody drunk is already pretty good "debuff" so like 50% and sleep (which is a fight-ender!) should get even better discount.

Last edited by fifiste; 12-28-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
gilbertocarlos

We just showed you 2 ways to do just that.

Put Resistible HT+10 and anyone would resist. Or instead put only on willing targets.

It should cost around -50%. Except on good afflictions, that should cost -10% at most
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
starslayer

Does this even need an enchantment/limitation?

By default someone who is willing actually AIDS the roll (as per beneficial affliction), whereas someone resisting it uses there HT to resist the effect. What more do you need to reflect 'willing = easy', 'unwilling = more difficult'.

If you want to make it a contest of users will vs targets will you can put malediction on it.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
fifiste

Eee Im not looking for willing= easy and unwilling=hard. Im looking for willing=hard and unwilling=impossible. As you can see this is much more limiting.
And the same affliction can be beneficial or maleficent depending on the circumstances (like sleep).
So I posited 2 possibilities = Willing = easy and unwilling= impossible.
(Should cost less cp than default)
And Willing= hard(er) and unwilling = impossible.
(Should cost even less, depending how hard it is to cast.)

I have actually kind of get my answer. For making stuff harder I probably put -5% for extra +1 on resistance roll. For the "doesn't ever work on unwilling target" part it seems to that I just have to eyeball how often would someone want to use it on unwilling targets and to what effect. In many cases it should be quite a large discount. (For. example. forced sleep would be a fight ender)