Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Prices for Very Fine non-sword/fencing weapons at high TL?

Low-Tech added prices for Very Fine weapons besides swords and fencing weapons. Unfortunately, High-Tech had already come out, so the rules for anachronistic weapons at high TLs weren't expanded beyond what's in the basic set. Is there any book that gives modified prices for other Very Fine weapons at high TLs? If not, what would be reasonable?

For reference, these are the low-tech prices:
Crushing-only melee and thrown weapons: +14 CF
Fencing weapons, knives, swords: +19 CF
Other melee or thrown weapons, projectiles: +49 CF

And of those, the only one I found a high-tech version for was:
Fencing weapons, knives, swords: +3 CF
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: Prices for Very Fine non-sword/fencing weapons at high TL?

As knives and swords being fine by default and very fine for cheap at TL7+ is because of better metallurgy, which doesn't affect other weapons nearly as much, I'd be inclined to leave the prices as-is for non sword weapons.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
jason taylor

Is this kind of what you have in mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Thin-Spa...3668233&sr=8-1
Old 07-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
YankeeGamer

The lower price is, IMVHO, in part due to mass production as well as better materials. Knives and such are made in bulk; GOOD swords are, I think, mostly made the old fashioned way. If the demand for high end weapons was there, a production line would bring prices down.
Today, the better materials would probably balance out the cost of rare, skilled labor to make swords, leaving a sword's price relatively unchanged--well, except for cheap ones found in tourist traps.
I'd guess that the easy availability of good steel might make axes a bit cheaper for high quality compared to ancient times, but not excessively--unless you're getting a good ax at Lowes, that's intended for work rather than mayhem.
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
The lower price is, IMVHO, in part due to mass production as well as better materials. Knives and such are made in bulk; GOOD swords are, I think, mostly made the old fashioned way. If the demand for high end weapons was there, a production line would bring prices down.
Today, the better materials would probably balance out the cost of rare, skilled labor to make swords, leaving a sword's price relatively unchanged--well, except for cheap ones found in tourist traps.
I'd guess that the easy availability of good steel might make axes a bit cheaper for high quality compared to ancient times, but not excessively--unless you're getting a good ax at Lowes, that's intended for work rather than mayhem.
With better ironmongery even pretty fine weapons can be mass produced. The expensive ones would be showpieces and probably something no one would risk being mangled in a fight, unless it was some very important ritual fight.