Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Gorkamorka
Ceci n'est pas un hyperlien

Default Luck based powers

It looks like I will be playing a Tymora ( DnD Realms ) priest soon. I want to try to make some luck based powers for him. So I have some questions for the group-mind, just to get a baseline.

How many points does it cost to get a -1 to one role of your chose per session? Assuming it's applied after rolling.

How much would a -1d6 cost?

How much to give one person of your chose one luck advantage re roll?

Any other luck based ideas?

Thanks
Gorkamorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Luck based powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkamorka View Post
Luck with Wishing (GURPS Powers p 59)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Poonbahbah

Serendipity (wouldn't it be nice if,) gizmos (lucky for us I have just the thing,) intuition (I can't believe you picked the non death dealing door ten times in a row!)
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Goober4473

Quote:
How many points does it cost to get a -1 to one role of your chose per session? Assuming it's applied after rolling.
This sounds like an Affliction with Reflexive, Cosmic (no roll required), reduced time to a single roll, and Limtied Use (not sure how to convert to out of game time, but theo ther way around is 1/session = 1/week, so reverse that), that grants +1 to ST, DX, IQ, HT, Basic Speed, and somehow adds 1 to the target number of things like rolls for Unreliable advantages and the like, all alternative abilities of each other (since you'll only be rolling on one of them), and all with some form of Cosmic that modifies how rolls of 17 and 18 work (18 would no logner be a critical failure with skill 16 or higher, and 17 would be a success with skill 17 or higher), to emulate a -1 to the roll rather than a +1 to the target number.

Quote:
Same as above, but pay for 3.5 levels of all the attribute bonuses, and just call it a 1d roll?
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkamorka View Post
It looks like I will be playing a Tymora ( DnD Realms ) priest soon. I want to try to make some luck based powers for him. So I have some questions for the group-mind, just to get a baseline.

Thanks
Check out Psionic Powers if you have the money and time. It has a probability manipulation power that will surely inspire you. In particular, check out the perks.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Luck with Wishing (GURPS Powers p 59)
IIRC Wishing is a very expensive Enhancement, but it's not really clear to me what it does that justifies the increased cpst.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Agent

Psionic Powers doesn't have a build that does exactly some this stuff, but yes its good for ideas and the structuring thereof.

And it's termed 'Probability Alteration' btw. ;)

I'm not sure the '-1 or -1d6 to a roll after the roll' is modeled or priced anywhere. It can't simply pare down Luck since that's just a true (multiple) reroll, but the -1 should obviously be way lower.

Me personally the -1 is a wee bit more than a Perk, but it can't be much more. 2 pts/lvl anyone?

The -1d6 can nicely turn failure to success but is random, and logically 3.5 times as expensive as the above + a bit of an edge more. Perhaps 8 pts/lvl or possibly 10. Eh, probably 10 when considering the power of creating critical successes way easier.

Quote:
Possibly also Affliction w/ Advantage: Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka
Afflictions similar to Goober's ideas is one way. Visualization with Reduced Time is another.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
IIRC Wishing is a very expensive Enhancement, but it's not really clear to me what it does that justifies the increased cpst.
The ability to force a reroll of any roll that happens within your character's awareness is pretty powerful.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Agent

Another possibility: Blessed (Heroic Feats) out of Characters. Just key it to HT, IQ, or DX rolls instead of ST, HT, and DX.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
the_matrix_walker

I have used Visualization (with blessing and cursing) with Reduced Time.
"Alter Probability [78]" Based on...
Visualization:
Blessing, +100%
Curse, +100%
Second Nature, +70%
Cosmic, Non-sapient & Inanimate, +50%
Cosmic, Any type of die roll, +100%
No Signature, +20%
Reduced Time 6, +120%
Reflexive, +40%
Reliable +10, +50%
Selectivity, +10%
Will Based, +20%

note: It always has the 1/3 margin bonus, never full margin, as there is no actual visualization process. With an Will of 15, he could modify 1 roll per turn by (25-3d6)/3 giving a +/- 3 to 7

I built a Hex field that was an always on, discriminatory affliction, afflicting the bad guys with Bad Luck, Cursed, a DX penalty and the total klutz disadvantage. I also added a paralysis(machines only) to cause mechanical threats to jam up or otherwise malfunction.

The insubstantiality based invulnerability in Powers is a good fit, but add No Signature so it seems to miss rather than pass through you.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-22-2012 at 09:14 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dnd, luck