Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #501
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
If it were "card games," sure.

But we're talking about what is very likely a fad (Munchkin). That's what I meant.
If Munchkin is a fad, I'm sure most game companies would love a 14 year old fad.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #502
stefanj

An impressive year to follow up on an impressive yeat!

I hope there are plans to look for a new hit to follow up on Munchkin. It would probably take many tries, but it has to be done.

I really liked the mission-based system that the Ninja delivery game was based on. You could base a lot of games on that.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #503
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

We know that someday, some company will publish a game that gives Munchkin a run for its money. We want to be that company.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #504
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
We know that someday, some company will publish a game that gives Munchkin a run for its money. We want to be that company.
That spirit is one of the things I truly love about SJG, along with its excellent customer relations. It's been "The Car Wars company" and "The GURPS company" before becoming "The Munchkin company." Redefinition has been part of the game (pardon the phrase) and I honestly look forward to seeing where you guys go next. It's been a fun ride all the way along.

(PS -- If Storium leads to In Nomine coming back on the radar in even a minuscule way, I wouldn't be saddened. ;) )

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 AM   #505
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
But how comfortable are you that it'll continue to do well?
That implies we're sitting back and allowing Munchkin to perform on its own without support. That is not at all our plan, and I believe the steps we've taken in the last few years demonstrate we're actively working to support Munchkin and give the Munchkin fans more ways to enjoy the entire World of Munchkin.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 AM   #506
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye0077r View Post
Unless SJG is losing money on each Deluxe copy sold... Then I'd feel bad. But I doubt that's the case.
We are not, and we have taken steps to protect the margins on the game and secure its $29.95 MSRP.

And, in keeping with Steve's policy of giving everyone a peek at the business, we discussed the steps we took with Munchkin Deluxe earlier this year:

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/J...inst_Inflation
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #507
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
That implies we're sitting back and allowing Munchkin to perform on its own without support. That is not at all our plan, and I believe the steps we've taken in the last few years demonstrate we're actively working to support Munchkin and give the Munchkin fans more ways to enjoy the entire World of Munchkin.
I do try to help. :-)

I may not have any Munchkin products (though I went and added Munchkin Deluxe to my Amazon wishlist...), but while my cousin was interested in the game, I bought her every expansion from the base product line.

Sadly, she's now more into Cards Against Humanity, so that's where my money gets spent on her these days. :-(

But for myself and my wife, we have Revolution, The Stars are Right, Zombie Dice, maybe a few more (would have to check the game chest and shelves to see).
Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #508
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

It will take me perhaps a week to clean it up and get it transcribed, but Steve spoke with me about this (and other things) in an interview for the Firing Squad on my blog. In the BCG "Stars and Dogs" model, he categorized Munchkin as a Star - high growth, high profitability. The other option that would (potentially) describe Munchkin would be "Cash Cow," low or flat growth, high profitability.

Since they're currently putting out new stuff and continuing to grow and increase top-line revenue, I think he's got it right. "Cash Cows" are for milking with minimal input.

(For the record, the other two character classes are the Problem Children (high growth but low profit, which you tackle by figuring out how to make them profitable) and Dogs (low profit, low growth. You just take those out and shoot them. For those who point out that GURPS falls within this category, (a) you're right, and (b) that's why we're all glad that it's not a company responsible to any shareholder but Steve.)
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #509
stefanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
It will take me perhaps a week to clean it up and get it transcribed, but Steve spoke with me about this (and other things) in an interview for the Firing Squad on my blog. In the BCG "Stars and Dogs" model, he categorized Munchkin as a Star - high growth, high profitability. The other option that would (potentially) describe Munchkin would be "Cash Cow," low or flat growth, high profitability.
Funny, that model (which I learned about in a technology marketing management course maybe 18 years ago) was in my mine when I wrote my post above.

Quote:
I approve of that attitude!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #510
andreww

Thanks again for doing this each year. I care about my favorite game companies and like knowing what's going on. Too many act as if letting people know their gross sales numbers will reveal their Achilles Heels or something.

Speaking of which, I was astonished that Munchkin Legends was #3 by dollar volume. It's a great game, but I was under the impression that it was only available at Target during 2013. Was I wrong? It's amazing and encouraging to think that Target sold so much Munchkin.

Can't wait for Car Wars!
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote