Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #121
Rasputin

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That is almost exactly the amount of prep I do for my regular games, though honestly it's a little long on the plot/background write up - but it is meant for another person to pick up and read.
Are you familiar with the One Page Dungeon Contest, or the Savage World's One Sheet Adventures? There's a whole bunch of stuff with this level of prep done. It would be cool for folks to do more of this for GURPS.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #122
Kalzazz

I admit, I really need a lot more to run a canned adventure myself

One page dungeons work so well because they rely on easy assumptions and such I can follow 'somehow the PCs show up at the beginning of the dungeon, then they go room by room slaughtering occupants and getting the loots!'

The rooms being next to each other on the map guide the flow of the adventure, if Room B is next to Room A, its easy to determine they can go from A to B

I'm pretty clueless on how to set the flow of things here I'll admit, how are they ever going to go from A to B (and finally get to whatever the end result is?)
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #123
philosophyguy

I love the idea of creating these kinds of resources—I think this fills a huge gap for new GMs and GURPS groups. Thanks!
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #124
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I admit, I really need a lot more to run a canned adventure myself

One page dungeons work so well because they rely on easy assumptions and such I can follow 'somehow the PCs show up at the beginning of the dungeon, then they go room by room slaughtering occupants and getting the loots!'

The rooms being next to each other on the map guide the flow of the adventure, if Room B is next to Room A, its easy to determine they can go from A to B

I'm pretty clueless on how to set the flow of things here I'll admit, how are they ever going to go from A to B (and finally get to whatever the end result is?)
For this kind of adventure, I have to turn my usual GM 'clutching' waaay down. Meaning, my "old," usual way to write up a scenario like this would be, "Start at Gray Flats, then go to the Fort, then go to the Mission, then to the Needle, and finally, discover the Mine."

This is much more, "Start at Gray Flats... and that's it, let the PCs do whatever they want from there." The players might choose to ignore every single other place and just charge forward to the Mine, or go to the Ranch and ignore the Fort and Mission, or ride to Tombstone and put together an army of hired miners and trackers, or any of a thousand other things.

It's a very different way than I'm used to, depends much more on improvising and reacting to the players, and it doesn't fit well with all groups and/or adventures. But for this kind of loose, sandbox-y type of thing, it feels the right way to go.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #125
mook

The intermediate series comes to a close today, and we say goodbye to dear ol' Kerna Dallon in her final scene, an overview of all the intermediate posts.

I hope you have found these posts helpful so far! I'm holding off on starting the advanced series to instead continue with material aimed more at GURPS newcomers for a while.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #126
Kalzazz

1. Kerna magically becomes Kendra for a while

2. Huh, you are a more generous DM than I to allow people to sleep with a readied weapon

3. You are a much less generous DM than I to use the sleeping in armor optional rule (which I don't agree with . . . on less than perfect ground, the firmness and padding of the armor makes it way more comfortable to lie down or sit than not wearing armor, and we don't see anywhere that Kerna has camping gear and such, so I wouldn't penalize her here for sleeping in the armor (or does she have camping gear such as a bedroll? I don't see it noted if she does)

3b. Since she only got 4 hours of sleep doesn't she get a FP penalty? I don't see that noted . . . if you are going to have armor decrease sleep, should note why this is a bad thing

4. We see Kerna move from prone to kneeling, but I don't see where she change postured from kneeling to standing, but I also don't see her taking penalties anywhere from being kneeling!

5. Since Kerna was hit in an extremity (the hand) isn't damage to her HP capped at that needed to cripple, or 5?

6. Since Kerna is a mage. With healing spells. We should probably see explained why she didn't want to heal herself with a spell (since well, it is a whole lot faster than first aid), namely the penalty to self healing while injured
Old 12-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #127
Kalzazz

My own DMing when I do my own material is pretty much 'okay, heres a mission objective, have fun', while I have _a_ idea how they might solve it (I don't want to give an unsolveable mission), I don't go into really great detail, I hack it together on the fly, often based on player input (one time recently I actually let the players come up with the adventurers badguys!)

I do tend to also like 'However many challenges, then a boss monster!', but based on what the PCs do I come up with challenges along the way (though sometimes ahead of time to)

However, if I'm going to be running canned material, I want it to be detailed enough I can just out and out run it . . . . material that has lots of stuff to fill in drives me mad, I can hack together my own adventures, or I can run fully statted out pre made adventures . . . but the in between causes madness

I really don't care for templates and your quick character build type things either I admit. I pretty much prefer things of the 'Race, class, done' variety as I refer to them, where basically the player has only a couple choices and fwoosh, the character is fully finished and realized (some versions of DnD and Earthdawn are like this, with pretty much Human Fighter A being the same as Human Fighter B, so once youve decided on Human Fighter all the chargen work is done) or 'heres a stack of twenty books and a blank document, you have X points, have at it!' is something I like to . . . . its in between these extremes I find it very annoying
Old 12-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #128
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
1. Kerna magically becomes Kendra for a while

2. Huh, you are a more generous DM than I to allow people to sleep with a readied weapon

3. You are a much less generous DM than I to use the sleeping in armor optional rule (which I don't agree with . . . on less than perfect ground, the firmness and padding of the armor makes it way more comfortable to lie down or sit than not wearing armor, and we don't see anywhere that Kerna has camping gear and such, so I wouldn't penalize her here for sleeping in the armor (or does she have camping gear such as a bedroll? I don't see it noted if she does)

3b. Since she only got 4 hours of sleep doesn't she get a FP penalty? I don't see that noted . . . if you are going to have armor decrease sleep, should note why this is a bad thing

4. We see Kerna move from prone to kneeling, but I don't see where she change postured from kneeling to standing, but I also don't see her taking penalties anywhere from being kneeling!

5. Since Kerna was hit in an extremity (the hand) isn't damage to her HP capped at that needed to cripple, or 5?

6. Since Kerna is a mage. With healing spells. We should probably see explained why she didn't want to heal herself with a spell (since well, it is a whole lot faster than first aid), namely the penalty to self healing while injured
Excellent notes, Kalzazz, thanks. I was rushing way more than usual to get this one out (I usually need to be in bed by 4pm... I didn't post this until 7pm lol, but Thursday is GURPS-Day dangit!). I was afraid it would be sloppy.

I'll look more fully in the morning once I'm home from work...

1. DOH. I thought I caught all of those.
2. I'm often called a generous GM, but I did at least ponder it before deciding, "Eh, why not." May re-ponder.
3. She has no camping gear... I may not bother with the optional rule. Must ponder.
4. Could've sworn I included that -2, but I see now that was just for the bad guy who was also kneeling.
5. Absolutely. I call sleep deprivation on that one :)
6. Oops, yeah -- I was so focused on the First Aid rules I forgot to have her actually heal herself instead of just contemplate it as a theoretical.

Appreciate the post!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:47 AM   #129
GM Joe

Another exciting entry! Thank you.

In regards to spreading the word that GURPS can be fun and easy to play, is a series of posts in the offing that explain which switches to flip for that? A sort of "Basic+" series, in-between the GURPS Lite focused Basic posts and the Intermediate ones?

BTW, I spotted a typo:

Quote:
Rather than fight unarmed, the man on the right uses Change Posture to quickly kneel and reach for his sword on the ground. The man on the left must again roll against his HT of 11, this time succeeding with a 9. He is no longer stunned, and can act normally on his next turn. The man in front moves from 4 yards away to next to Kerna. He attacks, but misses with a 10 (he is capped at 9 for having to Move and Attack.
There should be a closing parenthesis at the end of that paragraph, before the period.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #130
mook

Alrighty, a bunch of corrections and clarifications made! Thanks all for the feedback, it's lookin' much better.

Tags
blog, blogs