Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-01-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
Maz

Default What disad to pick for "Vengeful"-character.

This might just be a quirk. And it might be covered by other disads. Or it might warrant a new one.

But, a personality trait where you feel a deep desire to "get even". This is often in social situations where you will "get back at" people who insult you or otherwise cross you, no matter who they are or what the consequences might be. In combat it means you might focus on those who hurt you over more important targets (right down to getting baited by people taunting you). An otherwise nice person with this trait might play pranks or one-up people. A more mean spirited person might throw insults back or become physical.

It has traits from Jealousy, but is more like Bad Temper, but I feel like it's milder, on the other hand, Bad temper has an immediate effect. Vengeful chars might bide their time and plot and plan in order to get even later on.

Maybe simply use Bad temper but put a "Trigger"-limitation on it? How much would it be worth then?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: What disad to pick for "Vengeful"-character.

CoH: Vengeance is part of many of these.

Vow:

Compulsive Behavior
Old 09-01-2017, 01:47 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
CoH: Vengeance is part of many of these. Vow.
Those could work.
Quote:
Compulsive Behavior
Not really. You have to indulge Compulsive Behaviour about once a day, and if you need to seek vengeance that often, you aren't going to live very long.

Thinking about what happens to you if you don't seek vengeance may give clues. That suggested an inverted Sense of Duty: you feel compelled to harm, rather than help, a small group of people.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Selfish actually fits pretty well:

Quote:
Make a self-control roll whenever you experience a clear social slight or “snub.” On a failure, you lash out at the offending party just as if you had Bad Temper (p. 124)
Its one of those traits you should read carefully instead of just using the name.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
Bruno

Obsession is almost the right thing. "Obsession: Get even with everyone"? Possibly salted with a Delusion ("There are no accidents. Everything bad everyone has ever done to me was done deliberately and with malice aforethought.")

There's a couple of my family members who were notorious for holding a grudge with anyone who wronged them in the slightest way (and of course ended up holding grudges against each other). Outside of actively sabotaging the person, it's characterized by intrusive thoughts about how they done you wrong, griping about everything that's "wrong" with them, and (loudly) blaming them for all kinds of events that are only tenuously connected with them. There's easily enough in there to qualify for the time lost along with plenty of self-sabotaging behavior for an Obsession, but my notorious family members probably also had something like Selfish or Bad Temper or Jealousy for them to wrack up so many vendettas. And that Delusion.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
This might just be a quirk. And it might be covered by other disads. Or it might warrant a new one.

But, a personality trait where you feel a deep desire to "get even". This is often in social situations where you will "get back at" people who insult you or otherwise cross you, no matter who they are or what the consequences might be. In combat it means you might focus on those who hurt you over more important targets (right down to getting baited by people taunting you). An otherwise nice person with this trait might play pranks or one-up people. A more mean spirited person might throw insults back or become physical.

It has traits from Jealousy, but is more like Bad Temper, but I feel like it's milder, on the other hand, Bad temper has an immediate effect. Vengeful chars might bide their time and plot and plan in order to get even later on.

Maybe simply use Bad temper but put a "Trigger"-limitation on it? How much would it be worth then?
Level One: Quirk: Believes in "Payback"
Level Two: Vow: I will get even with anyone who crosses me.
Level Three: Obsession: I live to take revenge.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I think it's a Code of Honor. Or part of one. Especially if there are rules for what counts as an offense and appropriate levels of response for different degrees.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #8
Leynok

An Obsession to assassinate someone is a given example for -5 points. The motive for this could very well be vengeance (and I typically use this for characters who's entire motives for adventuring is getting said vengeance). Presumably "Get back at Person X" would also be viable, the points come back from the goal overtaking your life, not specifically what the act is. If your vengeance isn't so extreme as to overtake your whole life however, yes a quirk would suffice.
For someone who's goal is to get back at everyone that crosses them, that would work for a -10 point variant (Or at least, it's close enough that I would count it anyway, making new Disadvantages and all)
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I think it's a Code of Honor. Or part of one. Especially if there are rules for what counts as an offense and appropriate levels of response for different degrees.
Socially regulated vengeance is a common thing in societies. For one thing humans have a natural inclination toward vengeance that needs to be controlled. For another it serves a faux-constabulary purpose inside a society that can be a feature rather then a bug.