Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #191
hcobb

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

"A fencer defending with two weapons adds two extra dice"

However ITL 40 says "If a Fencer chooses the Defend option, attackers must roll an extra die when attacking." (Note no mention of number of weapons.)

Also you have a roll of 10 on five dice doing double damage. This is inconsistent with ITL 117 "roll against adjDX on four dice instead of three. 4 and 5 are still automatic hits doing triple and double damage respectively;"

Here's my table for five dice, but it is not official.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/TFT_Saving...rcentages.html

Also either charge for starting gear or just flatly disallow items above $1k like Fine Plate.

Last edited by hcobb; 10-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #192
hcobb

Disengage and stand doesn't seem to enable the Javelin user to get any of:
  • First attack
  • +2 DX
  • +1d damage

Yet the rulebook seems to imply that they should get all three.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #193
hcobb

"You can't use a Main-Gauche in both hands"

Where did you get this and how do you suggest modeling the common practice of wielding two Sai?
Old 10-28-2019, 06:26 AM   #194
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
"You can't use a Main-Gauche in both hands"

Where did you get this and how do you suggest modeling the common practice of wielding two Sai?
The handle is too short to wield it within both hands. However, there's nothing to stop you holding one in each hand.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #195
hcobb

Equipping a pair of Nunchuks fails to activate the limited dual-weapons built into the Nunchuks talent on page ITL 113.

Falling down a hole to exactly zero ST leaves the character active until they start the next combat then it errors out at renew spells. (Even if the character knows no spells.)

Knocking somebody over has so little effect that they even get their second attack against you that same turn. (Stabbing at your toes?)

Last edited by hcobb; 01-07-2020 at 10:57 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #196
andreww

I am keeping an eye on this thread and looking for the time to fix all these, btw. Thanks for the careful descriptions. Hopefully February. I have some cosmetic stuff to fix, too.
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #197
hcobb

Anybody found any additional bugs not listed above?
Old 08-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #198
Nils_Lindeberg

It has been a long time since I tried this app last time, so I thought I would give it a go.

A couple of issues, that might have been reported already:

Bola should give 0 damage and not NaN.
Boomerang should use missile weapon range, but still get bonuses from Throwing Weapon talent.

Pole weapons are missing a lot:
No option to back up and charge even if you should be able to do it. For ex. you have a high MA and foe is 2 yards away.

Since the range is 2D, one might add some sort of formula for high MA, initiative and flanking. So it will be possible to engage enemies in the side if they move first and move too close. Unless you are in a small room or corridor. With a movement of 12 or 14 you can to a lot of shenanigans. But it would be ok, if you just used a formula and sometimes gives the fast guy a side attack and no return attack in the first engagement turn.

I am not quite sure how you use the rules for having a spear in one hand and a shield. You should be able to drop the shield as a free actions and grab the spear 2-h for an attack. I don't think the spear has to be made ready with a whole action. The same issue might show up with carrying two javelins and not having the Thrwoing Weapon talent. Can you throw one, then the other, or do you have to make the second one ready even though it already was in the hand of the character? What about carrying a 2-h weapon in one hand, say a halberd, and then a javelin in the other hand (which is ready). You throw the javelin as an action or you drop it, and as soon as you have two hands available you have the halberd ready. Or do you still have to ready the halberd, because you can't even hold it in one hand? So there is essentially no gain in having the halberd on your back, picking it up from the floor and already carrying it around in your hand. Which is strange, but maybe more of a rule problem than an app problem.

No handling of too heavy weapons. Should be easy to adjust the damage and adjDX modifier. -1dmg per 2 ST, so a halberd in the hands of a ST 10 will do 2-2 dmg. ANd -1 adjDX for each lacking ST. So -3 adjDX in the example mentioned.

I droped my weapon in a fight and in the next fight it was gone, even though I won the first fight and should have had ample time to pick it up. This was down in the sewers.

But still very nice work on the app over all, keep it up! :-)
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:52 AM   #199
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils_Lindeberg View Post
I am not quite sure how you use the rules for having a spear in one hand and a shield. You should be able to drop the shield as a free actions and grab the spear 2-h for an attack.
Well this is too spooky... the first time I asked myself the same question, and this in 40+ years, was only 48 hours ago, and here you are posting it! What are the odds?!? (And no I wasn't trying out the app, the question came up in another context.)

My immediate instinct is to allow the 2H use of the spear immediately upon dropping the shield. And by extension, allow the 2-handed use/readiness of anything that had been held in one hand should the other hand become free.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:19 AM   #200
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Well this is too spooky... the first time I asked myself the same question, and this in 40+ years, was only 48 hours ago, and here you are posting it! What are the odds?!? (And no I wasn't trying out the app, the question came up in another context.)

My immediate instinct is to allow the 2H use of the spear immediately upon dropping the shield. And by extension, allow the 2-handed use/readiness of anything that had been held in one hand should the other hand become free.
Haha. Are you in one of the campaigns I am playing in? It kind of came up in both of them, but in different ways. If Longlegs casting spells or murder killer bears in a gladiatorial arena come to mind that would be an explanation. If not, spooky indeed. :-)

I have a 32p gladiator with halberd and bola and a ST of 9.
9/15/8/14 Pole weapons, Running, Throwing Weapons, Bola, Sex Appeal (You got to please the crowd).
The Halberd do less damage 2-2 (3-2 with a charge). But it is usually enough to take out someone in two attacks and non-fine javelins are too weak for the arena.

The upside to -4adjDX for being too weak for the Halberd is that you can get a higher base DX, the actual adjDX will be the same when fighting with the Halberd either way. So you lose 2 points of damage with the Halberd, but gain 4 DX when it comes to throwing your Bola, so with talent an adjDX of 17! If you hit, you will get +4 DX with your halberd when hitting them on the ground for one or two turns. Or if you run around and get them in the side or back, or if you knock them down by doing damage. or a +2 for set vs. charge. Either way, there are a lot of ToHit bonuses to be had, so a low adjDX is ok, if you can make sure your Bola hits, even a few hexes away.

So once you throw the Bola, held in one hand with the Halberd held but not wielded in the other, if you need one whole turn to ready the Halberd, it will be a little bit useless. The guy hit by the bola will soon be on his feet again, without you having time to attack.

And I think that Bastard Sword and Spear needs a little love. The advantage to being able to swing it both one-handed and two-handed will be very small otherwise. Especially if it would take as long to grab the sword with two hands as it takes to sling it on your back and draw two completely different weapons.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote