Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2009, 02:05 AM   #11
chris1982

Default Re: Can a swordsman use a baseball bat as a weapon?

There should be a catchall default of for every melee weapon skill to each other melee weapon skill (even if only best melee skill -8 or something) - There are some basic concepts that melee fighters learn that are true for every weapon: distance, parry concepts, reflexes, attack modes, feints etc.

I find the notion of the great swordmaster with 25 broadsword skill that hits at DX-5 when using an Axe or DX-4 for a knife rather unrealistic...
chris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #12
jacobmuller

G-U-Melee-Default: find the worst skill-default and put it one point worse?

Is the technique for making a baseball bat more "agile" called Choking Up? You don't hold it by the usual bottom of bat grip - more like 1/3 up - and this provides a more balanced bat/ lowers the ST requirement at the expense of reach and a certain degree of clumsiness.
How about Broadsword-3, ie a baton as per shortsword; that would put you @ broadsword-2 and an extra -1 for awkwardness, with Sw or Th damage.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #13
Gurps Fan

Thanks to all for the replies.

Is "balancedness" really a primary factor in determining which skill should be used? As a counterexample, Knobbed Club is a balanced ("Parry 0") weapon but is listed under Axe/Mace, while Dao and Large Falchion are unbalanced ("Parry 0U") weapons that fall under Broadsword (Martial Arts, pp. 226-227).

I think that the authors should have simply listed "borderline" weapon like Knobbed Club under both Axe/Mace and Broadswoad, just like Long Knife, which is listed under Knife and Shortsword (pp. 228-229). And of course, there should be set of default skills applicable to every melee skills, as pointed out by chris1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism
What setting has a guy who uses a broadsword as his primary weapon and baseball bats?
My gaming group often runs campaigns in a modern world plus something fantastic. Off the top of my head, as a GM, I could build a necromancer who turns street thugs into zombies -- equipped with baseball bats, bicycle chains, tire irons, etc. -- and commands them to raid PCs, who might be master swordsmen, wizards, werewolves, aliens, espers, time travellers, or whatever. If you prefer a pure-fantasy setting, for "a baseball bat up from a dead mook" read "a knobbed club up from a dead orc soldier".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Probably more likely a Defensive Grip to get to use the Broadsword skill. (Assuming we can use high ST/two hands to make it sort of balanced . . .)
That has inspired me with a further question:

Basic Set says that Two-Handed Axe/Mace is useable for "Any long, two-handed impact weapon, such as a baseball bat" (p. B208). A baseball bat is Knobbed Club in game terms (Martial Arts, p. 219).

However, while wielding a one-handed weapon with Defensive Grip, using two hands, the fighter still uses the one-handed skill (so Kromm says). Further, the Two-Handed Axe/Mace section in the weapon table has no entry for two-handed use of Knobbed Club (Martial Arts, p. 230). Therefore, Two-Handed Axe/Mace is of no use when wielding a knobbed club, even with two hands.

What should I understand this contradiction? Can I safely say that baseball bats were supposed to be under Two-Handed Axe/Mace when Basic Set was originally written, but the authors have changed the rules and bats have become a one-handed Axe/Mace weapon since the moment they published Martial Arts?

Last edited by Gurps Fan; 05-08-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:14 AM   #14
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Huh, I never noticed that knobbed clubs were balanced before. That actually makes them pretty handy.

EDIT: so is the hatchet. How the hell did I miss that?

Last edited by Sam Baughn; 05-08-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
The Mage of Macungie

Quote:
What setting has a guy who uses a broadsword as his primary weapon and baseball bats?
Although it was not his primary weapon, a 3e Cliffhangers character of mine always had a baseball bat, along with the mitt and ball, in the trunk of his car. He had studied savate which taught broadsword and IIRC 3e used broadsword skill for baseball bats.
The Mage of Macungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
martinl

Quote:
Huh, I never noticed that knobbed clubs were balanced before. That actually makes them pretty handy.

EDIT: so is the hatchet. How the hell did I miss that?
Imperfection? ;P
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
tanniynim

Quote:
Mad Max?
Dies the Fire?
Modern with secret magic?
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #18
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mage of Macungie
IIRC 3e used broadsword skill for baseball bats.
It sure did, I just checked.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #19
nik1979

Baseball bats weigh almost as much as arming/braodswords. Given the difference in weight, if there was a polem to move the balance of the bat closer to the base then a -2 unfamiliarity penalty would be ok, but at its balance probably a -3 unfamiliarity penalty for broadsword or -2 for axe/mace.

Personally, i won't throw away any +1 DX bonus from any weapons training as one defaults to another weapon. At that level, the character starts to have hand callouses, thicker forearms, and a strong grip in a hearty handshake. 800-6400 hours guideline for 4cp of practice will do that. As a GM I would default it all from what ever weapon skill, starting at -4 at worse.
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
pawsplay

Quote:
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

I think having all melee weapons default at DX-6 is probably reasonable, and borderline cases should be usable with Axe/Mace or Broadsword. Technically, I have Broadsword Sport (from Amtgard) which defaults to ... absolutely nothing with regards to a baseball bat, but I have no trouble visualizing how I would use one in real life if I had to. I have some self-taught armed skills, but those also relate to swordsmanship, not clubs per se.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote