Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
Shtieven

Default Mate card / Magic Man - Adventure time setB

Hey all! Sorry if this isn’t in the right thread but new to the forum!

So I came into a really big argument over a game play. We were playing the adventure munchkin set and another player drew magic man. Magic man has an ability where the card says "as he enters combat, the players in combat suffer the effects of the top two curses in the door discards" I then played the mate card which explicitly reads "another monster joins the combat with the same level and all the enhancements as the current monster. If the monsters are defeated, draw treasures for each and go up levels for each."

The player argued that they did not need to get an additional two curses because the mate card only mentions the power level and any enhancement and the player did not consider drawing two curses an enhancement. The argument continued over the technicalities of what the mate card states. I tired to point out that the mate card neither mentions the need to apply the bad stuff if losing combat but is still implied but my argument was rejected.

So bottom line does mate card serve as a literal copy of a monster plus enhancements or only as a copy of power level and added enhancements?

Also would it be the same two curses redrawn or would the person end up getting the four most recent curses?

Last edited by Shtieven; 04-06-2021 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Shtieven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Mate card / Magic Man - Adventure time setB

In general, the Mate is an exact copy of the other monster. When the Mate is played, it is entering the combat, and should trigger the "When the monster enters combat" effects of the monster it is copying.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

It would be the same two curses. They aren't drawn or discarded, so the Mate would still just reference the same two again.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
Nobunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
It would be the same two curses. They aren't drawn or discarded, so the Mate would still just reference the same two again.
I'm confused by this answer. Are you saying instead of two new curses being drawn, the attacking player must suffer the SAME two curses a second time?
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Brf

The card does not say to draw curses. It says to suffer the effects of the top two curses in the discard pile. It does not say to move those curses from their places in the discard pile.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
Nobunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
The card does not say to draw curses. It says to suffer the effects of the top two curses in the discard pile. It does not say to move those curses from their places in the discard pile.
That's a good point. I got lost in the tread of hypotheticals, and I forgot check what it actually says on the card.

That said, my question is does Mate cause the curses to be suffered a second time? Or more broadly, does the Mate and other Mate-like cards cause "when this monster enters combat" effects to trigger?

Last edited by Nobunga; 04-12-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
Brf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunga View Post
more broadly, does the Mate other Mate-like cards cause "when this monster enters combat" effects to trigger?
Yes it should. That was what I was saying 5 posts up.