Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
flynd

Default Revolution: Variants for two players?

I just got Revolution and gave it a quick try. Halfway through the game we realized we're not supposed to play it on just two but at least we got a feel for how the game works and see the potential of being an interesting game with more players.

Even though I knew the game was not meant for only two players when I ordered it, I managed to forget it this time.
But a wider range of possible players is always a bonus so if anyone has any good suggestion or house rules that makes the game work better on two players I would be very interested to hear them.
Maybe remove some characters (and areas) to make it more likely that both players bid on the same character?
flynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Revolution: Variants for two players?

The game just doesn't feel right with two players, no matter what, if you ask me. But the following ideas might help:

The game board has too many squares for two players. To remedy this, I've seen the suggestion that you can place two blocks of an unused color on every location. These can be Spied, Apothecaried, etc., as usual.

The real problem is the bidding board. I wouldn't remove characters, though -- there's really no one who's expendable. Instead, you need some rules to ensure that players step on each others' toes. Totally off the top of my head:

1. Each player must bid on between three and six characters each turn -- no putting all your gold on one.

2. For each bid that a player wins, roll 2d6 to simulate a "phantom player" having bid on it as well:

2-7: No bid.
8-9: 1 gold
10: 2 gold.
11: 1 blackmail. (Use 1 force for black squares and 3 gold for split squares.)
12: 1 force. (Use 1 blackmail for red squares and 3 gold for split squares.)

If this makes the phantom player "win," don't actually put any blocks on the board -- it just screws up the actual player's bid.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
EarthStone

I've found it works just fine with 2 players just by putting two blocks of an unused color on every location. (just like Rev Pee Kitty suggests)

But have never found it necessary to make any additional rules. So what if someone want to put all their gold on one thing? Sure they'll get it... and I'll get at least 4 other things uncontested because I spread mine around. See how long that strategy works for them.
EarthStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, 2 players? Well, I've only played at conventions and stores, so I've never had less than 3 or 4 players. I wouldn't even want to try it.

But if forced, I would create a 3rd player and split the bribes/gold between the other two and have them place for a "dummy" player.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
EarthStone

Well, there's been a couple of times when demoing in stores that I've had a single player come up and want to give it a try. Explaining the game is all well and good, but getting them to sit down and actually play is what they're really wanting, so I did it on the fly that way the first time and it worked well enough that I've done it a couple more times since. (I make it very clear that it's not part of the normal rules and that the game is even better, much better, when played with 3-4)
Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthStone View Post
But have never found it necessary to make any additional rules. So what if someone want to put all their gold on one thing? Sure they'll get it... and I'll get at least 4 other things uncontested because I spread mine around. See how long that strategy works for them.
That's not the main problem, though. It seems to me the issue is that you'll hardly ever have a bidding ties. Admittedly, I've never tried a 2-player game, but I'd imagine that you'll both win almost every bid, until the end of the game when one or two squares become crucial. Outbidding and bidding ties are a huge part of the game, which is why I've suggested trying to find some way to represent that.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
EarthStone

True, there are less ties or being trumped on something you bid for than in regular games, but there are enough of them to keep the game challenging, and both players are equal in getting many of the things they bid on, so it simply makes for a quicker game but no less fun. ... At least from my vast experience of 3 whole two-player games...

Tags
revolution!