Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
chimchim

Default A question about magic staffs

ok this came up in prep for a fantassy one off game i am planning and i am tempted to say yes anyway. However i thought i would see if there was any RAW objection.
Can a mage decorate one end me their enchanted staff with a metal point? Thus turning it into a spear.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: A question about magic staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
ok this came up in prep for a fantassy one off game i am planning and i am tempted to say yes anyway. However i thought i would see if there was any RAW objection.
Can a mage decorate one end me their enchanted staff with a metal point? Thus turning it into a spear.
Yes, but then they will need spear skill to use the pointy end.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

I've argued against such things in the past... but the only real point you can make against allowing it is that the metal end won't count as part of the staff.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I've argued against such things in the past... but the only real point you can make against allowing it is that the metal end won't count as part of the staff.
Indeed. I'd rule that poking someone with the pointy bit doesn't count as touch for the purposes of figuring range.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
RobKamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Indeed. I'd rule that poking someone with the pointy bit doesn't count as touch for the purposes of figuring range.
Would you want to rule how much damage would have to be inflicted by the spear-point before the enchanted-staff would touch? If the argument is that the spear point is what is blocking the Staff's ability to extend touch then this could become an issue.

I would either explicitly outlaw cold-iron (or bronze, brass, whatever) on enchanted staves; or allow it and accept that any weapon might get the Staff enchantment (despite the name). I wouldn't want to have to houserule something like 1/2 or full blowthrough on a spear to qualify for the staff's touch.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
GnomesofZurich

Another question comes to mind...would a staff with a point at one end (turning it into a spear, if a low-quality one) qualify as a touch attack while still doing spear damage? This gets around the "metal is a problem" issue, and you could fire-harden the end or make it from hardwood to better its performance as a spear.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
Would you want to rule how much damage would have to be inflicted by the spear-point before the enchanted-staff would touch? If the argument is that the spear point is what is blocking the Staff's ability to extend touch then this could become an issue.
Of course I kinda define a Fine Quarterstaff as being shod and bound in Iron/Steel/Mitheril/Bazooka Joe Bubblegum. YMMV but if a player is willing to sink in 2 extra points minimum (Spear and Grip Mastery) I would probably allow it. (Effectively use a Spear with Spear and Staff skill).

Because basically any mage who is using his/her staff has already had a plan or two fall through on them already.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
weby

Well, In my games you can cast the magic staff spell on anything with a maximum length of 2.

(including a 2 yard long ladder, that being the holy symbol of a priest)

So it is really upto the GM what is allowed..
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
Max damage. That's how much gets inflicted if someone impales themselves on a weapon in order to move up it and get at the wielder, right? So that's how much having the entire spearhead inside you does.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Comedian

Use the rules for combination weapons in Martial Arts to add a spear tip to the staff and then use the styling rules in High Tech to make it fancy.
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote