Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #41
quarkstomper

Default Re: Riding Hares

I'd think that a giant bunny that has been trained as a Mount would panic less easily than an ordinary garden variety giant bunny. It's skill in Mount and it's rider's skill in Riding (Giant Bunny) would factor into that.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
I'd think that a giant bunny that has been trained as a Mount would panic less easily than an ordinary garden variety giant bunny. It's skill in Mount and it's rider's skill in Riding (Giant Bunny) would factor into that.
I doubt that a ST 20 bunny would panic that much at all. Though they might still prefer to run rather than fight.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #43
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
I doubt that a ST 20 bunny would panic that much at all. Though they might still prefer to run rather than fight.
I would worry about the St 40 owl that eats the hares. ;)
Also, the internet says that under certain circumstances hares will turn cannibal or eat carrion. A hungry rearing up giant hare eating my horse... the stuff of horror and Felini films.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #44
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I would have gone with Rocs
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #45
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I would have gone with Rocs
Only if you throw them hard enough.... Ha, kidding.
Anything flying that picks one of those hares up will be called a roc, no matter what it looks like.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #46
Dunadin777

Quote:
?

Because ST 25 Clydesdales never panic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Also, the internet says that under certain circumstances hares will turn cannibal or eat carrion. A hungry rearing up giant hare eating my horse... the stuff of horror and Felini films.
The cannibalism is fairly common, apparently. When my wife was growing up, they had several pet bunnies. When one of them died inside the bounds of their common hutch, there wasn't much left of him to discover.

Also, rabbits eat their own poo a lot, which would be a horrifying trait for a mount-sized creature.

"I don't think I'm morally obligated to stop this..."
Ten Green Gem Vine--Warrior-poet, bane of highwaymen
Dunadin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunadin777 View Post
?

Also, rabbits eat their own poo a lot, which would be a horrifying trait for a mount-sized creature.
Well, they evolved to do that to squeeze out every last drop of nutrition to avoid going back outside to get more food and risk being eaten themselves.
A giant hare may just prefer to gallumph out and shove other grazers out of the way.

Creatures panic out of fear of being wildly outmatched or out of confusion. Horses are so evolved to just run away and never stand and fight, that I imagine it takes loads of training to avoid.
Lagomorphs will often stand and fight creatures close to their size, (those teeth and dirty infectious claws seem a might more dangerous than poorly aimed hooves) so I think giant hares will need to be faced with something that will terrify the rider enough that spooking might not seem that unexpected or irrational.
Then again, I've never owned either, so I may be talking out of my pellet shooter.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #48
Danukian

Quote:
Quote:
?

This. Bunnies are the ultimate example of Combat Paralysis.

Quote:
Rabbits have a 2 phase digestive system, they eat, poo out concentrated pellets, eat those pellets and poop out "true" feces.
Not that it makes that any better as a trait for mounts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
I would agree that they'll panic less often, buying off the racial Combat Paralysis bunnies have for any species other than their own, I just don't see them going from Paralysis to Combat Reflexes. I've seen Squirrel make a hare freeze up...
Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #49
Lancewholelot

Here's a clip illustrating the dangers of giant rabbits. http://youtu.be/xulXFB3-A3c
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #50
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
This. Bunnies are the ultimate example of Combat Paralysis.
Wouldn't that be house mice. I've seen so many panic and freeze, compared to tree shrews. Those blanks take a run at me, when I am simply trying to help them out and away from my cats. They bite so hard for little guys... like my arch nemesis the lady bug.

Tags
bunny, gurps 4e, mount, template