Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
ardashir

Default Cops, SWAT, and Hellhounds in the Technomancer world

Someone recently asked me a question about the Technomancer world that left me stuck: in Merlin-1, you've got your regular cops. You've got SWAT (Special Wizardry and Tactics) who deal with the crimes SWAT does in our world as well as things like prowling undead, rampaging demons, hostage-grabbing wizards ("Listen up, pigs! Unless I get $10 million and a plane to Argentina in an hour, these ten first-graders I dominated with an Enslave spell will inject orange juice into each other's veins!"), and so forth.

Just what, then, do hellhounds do? They're supposed to be freelance 'monster hunters', but if the public can call the police for help when a demon starts eating the neighbors, why bother with a guy who's basically a bounty hunter?

For that matter, how would real police get along with hellhounds, anyway? How do they deal with bounty hunters IRL?

Thanks for any help.
ardashir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Cops, SWAT, and Hellhounds in the Technomancer world

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardashir View Post
Just what, then, do hellhounds do? They're supposed to be freelance 'monster hunters', but if the public can call the police for help when a demon starts eating the neighbors, why bother with a guy who's basically a bounty hunter?

For that matter, how would real police get along with hellhounds, anyway? How do they deal with bounty hunters IRL?

Thanks for any help.
Hellhounds _are_ bounty hunters (and private investigators). You call one to _find_ a monster whose location you don't know or to discover if there is some unknown monster. Or to find your daughter who's run off with a chimera biker gang or a lot of other things like that.

You can ask the regular police to do these things of course but they'll use their priorites and not yours. When the demon is already (verifiably) eating the neighbors you'll get your police and they'll call SWAT.

It's when you just _think_ their's a demon but there haven't been any unexplained corpses turned up yet that you need to call a hellhound.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
ardashir

Okay, thanks. That is a helpful answer.

Hmm, maybe I should find a book that describes just how one does 'bounty hunting'. Paladin Press probably has at least one on the topic.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
ardashir

Hmm, another hellhound-related question: does it seem possible that a hellhound could have a partner who's a 'supernatural'? I.e., a holo-ghost, 'tame' demon, or low-level spirit of some sort?

I see them as having some for contacts, easily (probably done as either Street or Supernatural Contacts) but actual allies might be hard unless their 'partner' can hide their real form from public view.