Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: DF giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Is there a Technique anywhere to offset size penalties to hit? Seems to me that a giant who regularly fights humans might be able to buy some of that off.
Not expressly, but it would be pretty trivial to design with the Technique Design System. Note that for DF you would need to then write it as a power-up (bought all the way up to the cap) because DF doesn't use techniques.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not expressly, but it would be pretty trivial to design with the Technique Design System. Note that for DF you would need to then write it as a power-up (bought all the way up to the cap) because DF doesn't use techniques.
I would take a leaf from the Target Locations technique and allow a maximum of half the penalty to be bought off. But yeah, such a technique makes sense.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would take a leaf from the Target Locations technique and allow a maximum of half the penalty to be bought off. But yeah, such a technique makes sense.
Yeah, it's definitely a variation on Targeted Attack.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Despite the precedent, I wouldn't cap it at half the penalty - I believe the cap is meant mostly to make it so that there is a reason to occasionally aim at the Torso of the target (or go with random hit locations) rather than always go for wherever you bought up the Technique*. That's not a concern when you have an SM+3 giant fighting against SM+0 foes.

*The exception here is Vitals, where except when the foe is wearing a Pectoral or similar, there's never a reason to aim at the Torso rather than the Vitals, as a miss by 1 still hits the Torso. I'm fine with that - aiming for "center of mass" is a pretty common practice, after all.

As for the main thread, baseline DF doesn't really support the casual giant- (or dragon- or whatever narratively-serious threat you choose) slaying found in D&D, largely because of the combat system differences already mentioned. If you want to bring it in, you can, but you'll need to add in some cinematic combat options and/or some new** Advantages. For the former, changing the damage of big strong monsters to be mostly knockback (treating them much like cinematic explosions) will let them strike characters and send them flying* without as much risk of killing them. For Advantages, Vitality Reserve will get you closer to the D&D HP model, although I'd be more inclined to go with Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction.

*You'll probably want to increase knockback. 8d cr against an ST 12 adventurer only averages 2 yards of knockback.

**Not necessarily new to GURPS, but I don't think either of the options I've listed are available for characters in DF (some monsters have IT:DR).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
Kalzazz

Actually you still might want to aim for generic torso hit for better crit chances
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #16
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Remember the blowthrough rules. Losing your full HP in one blow and needing to make consciousness checks is not nearly as bad as losing 6 times your HP in one blow and being instadead.
For awesomeness' sake, allow crushing "blowthrough" where the first HP damage apply as normal and the rest blow through but get double knockback in compensation. So if Bob gets hit for 30 crushing and only has 10 HP, he takes 10 HP of injury and 50 for purposes of knockback.

Fore!
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
Kalzazz

Having played a character who used a spear, I considered buying such TA however

To benefit from 'miss by 1' you need to attack at no more than 15. If you attack at 15, crit is on 5 or less.
I want to use rapid strikes and/or deceptive attack usually to reach 16

Spending 3 points to get the Targeted Attack thus seems questionable, especially as only valid with foes with vitals, and x3 isn't hugely better than x2
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #18
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
For awesomeness' sake, allow crushing "blowthrough" where the first HP damage apply as normal and the rest blow through but get double knockback in compensation. So if Bob gets hit for 30 crushing and only has 10 HP, he takes 10 HP of injury and 50 for purposes of knockback.

Fore!
That might just be genius! It simulates Hollywood giant-human fights quite well.

P.S. I wish this site allowed for granting xp or similar for posts.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #19
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Having played a character who used a spear, I considered buying such TA however

To benefit from 'miss by 1' you need to attack at no more than 15. If you attack at 15, crit is on 5 or less.
I want to use rapid strikes and/or deceptive attack usually to reach 16

Spending 3 points to get the Targeted Attack thus seems questionable, especially as only valid with foes with vitals, and x3 isn't hugely better than x2
In my games it often means the difference between major wounds and not or between "major wound" and "I'll just take that guy off the table and not worry about it".

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #20
GURPSman

Use of Sumo Wrestling (slam) and Brawling (trample) rules is a nice way to bring down the damage while keeping the giant feel without rules tweaks. A mobile giant may live a little longer, too, not standing toe-to-toe with a knight throwing 2-3 hits per turn.
GURPSman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy