Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
JMason

Default [DF] 40 Days Travel Time?

Ignoring the rules in Wilderness Adventures for the moment, DF2 offers up using a set amount of time for travel. The example given is 40 days and nights.

This has always struck me as very long. Does anyone actually run games that include this length of travel? I had my PCs go on a 20 day trip and it has been a logistical nightmare to get all the food they need. They ended up buying a wagon and 2 horses! And with random encounters, we only got 1/2 way there in our last session (and they are using quick march to shorten this to 10 days!)

I'm not planning on altering my game to make travel longer, I was just curious where this time came from. Is there some president in "old school" games?
Old 12-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: [DF] 40 Days Travel Time?

One (non-DF) game I ran had a sea voyage of two months between ports of call. Not much happened during that down-time; the voyage was basically circumnavigating an Africa-expy continent.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
Anaraxes

The phrase in DF2 is an example of a GM just picking a time for off-screen travel; it's not a calculation for a specific trip from counting hexes on some map.

I imagine the particular number 40 came up in the author's mind because of its use in Hebrew idioms, well-known to Western cultures thanks to Bible stories. (Rain for 40 days and 40 nights for Noah's flood; 40 days of Moses on Mount Sinai receiving the law; 40 days of Jesus being tempted by Satan in the wilderness; 40 years of wandering in the desert post-Exodus.) In this case, "40" isn't meant to be an exact number, but just an idiom for "a long time", sort of like the modern English number "bajillion" for "a lot". And while the author might not have been consciously echoing this particular usage, the number in the DF quote is still just an arbitrary value to represent "a good while" just for the sake of approximating the trip costs.

It would be unusual for a medieval-style trip to require 40 days in isolation without any possibility of stopping anywhere for supplies. If you're expecting to travel in complete wilderness, you're probably planning on doing a lot of hunting and locating your water on the way, with your carrying capacity devoted to things you can't do without and can't find or make.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
And with random encounters, we only got 1/2 way there in our last session (and they are using quick march to shorten this to 10 days!)
Why did you use that many Random Encounters?

My rule of thumb for Random Encounters #s are "Only if the PCs are dithering" and "No More Than 3", otherwise you really bog things down for no real benefit.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
It would be unusual for a medieval-style trip to require 40 days in isolation without any possibility of stopping anywhere for supplies. If you're expecting to travel in complete wilderness, you're probably planning on doing a lot of hunting and locating your water on the way, with your carrying capacity devoted to things you can't do without and can't find or make.
Was there much area in Medieval Europe that you could walk for 40 days without passing a significant town, to say nothing of villages? Of course, DF-land isn't actually Medieval Europe (not even close*) so you can't go by that.

* DF is about as close to Medieval Europe as Star Wars is to the Apollo Program.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Was there much area in Medieval Europe that you could walk for 40 days without passing a significant town, to say nothing of villages?
Exactly my point. But even Lewis and Clark (two and a half years) didn't buy all their supplies for the whole trip at their starting point. There were plenty of humans where they were headed, even if there weren't any European cities. I can't think of any expeditions offhand other than the polar expeditions that involve true desolation, and even they weren't packing all their water. So, the calculated cost for the entire trip can usually be assumed to be spread throughout the journey. You don't have to have a wagon train at the start that can carry one big stack of everything you're going to consume in the extended trip.

(Though I agree with Ransom that a cart or wagon and pack animals would be fairly routine for an extended journey. One of the main things that the animals carry is yourself, so you don't have to walk... Murder-hobo parties in the games I've been in have had wagons as often as not, and nearly always at least a mule.)

40 days of horse-and-wagon travel is probably somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles. So for Europe, Lisbon to Paris, or Calais to Vienna, hard to imagine being devoid of any opportunity to resupply. Or, since I like the LOTR reference, about 800 miles from Lorien to Mount Doom, or Hobbiton to Lorien, neither segment being devoid of friendly stops even with fantasy-scale desolation like Eregion. (Mordor wasn't at all desolate, even though you might not like the local cuisine.)

LOTR time-and-distance chart
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I tend to either build dungeons into towns (sewer level) or place them fairly close (graveyard, forest) and maybe up to a week of travel between town and dungeon (Conveniently Nearby Dungeon).
Old 12-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
whswhs

If you want historical information on the requirements and costs of travel, the first chapter of Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army is extremely useful, giving detailed figures for the transport of food, water, and fodder for draft animals.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Why did you use that many Random Encounters?
Because I was trying out running DF "by the book", and:

DF2, 20:
Quote:
assigning each outdoor area or dungeon level odds of an encounter. [...] 9 or less is best for most wilderness [...] daily rolls work well when traveling outdoors. Also roll once per night when the party camps [...]
Old 12-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Was there much area in Medieval Europe that you could walk for 40 days without passing a significant town, to say nothing of villages? Of course, DF-land isn't actually Medieval Europe (not even close*) so you can't go by that.
There aren't very many places on Earth after the Ice Age where a few people can travel for 40 days overland without possible resupply. Maybe some big deserts, or jungles where the locals already hate you enough to hide. Big expeditions might exceed what you could trade from the local hunter-gatherers, but a small party of ethically challenged adventurers only needs to kill and loot the winter food cache of one family living around here full time to feed themselves for another month.

Tags
dungeon fantasy