Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #71
Kalzazz

Default Re: GURB- The Generic Unoriginal Roleplaying Blog

I'd certainly give the cord a Nanoweave casing so it doesn't get destroyed as easy. DR 2 vs cutting means a real risk of a space gerbil chewing through it
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #72
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
You're welcome.

SM -12 seems a bit low to me, though. SM is based off of the longest dimension of an object. You gave the power cord a length of 1.5 yards. The power cord should therefore have SM -1.

I'd consider shortening the power cord. 1 yard of power cord should be enough to allow the use of the Force Zweihänder without hampering the wielder's movements too much. Keep in mind that this is about half the height of a SM 0 humanoid. Using this shorter power cord, we have a SM -2. This makes the power cord more annoying to hit, helping make up for its fragility.
For long thin objects Basic set says to use the smallest dimension for size modifier (see pg. 550) though personally I think that -2SM makes more sense.

As for length I wanted to give it little slack though you're probably right that 5ft is a little too much.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #73
The_Ryujin

Ok guys, back from work and it seems you really like the power cord idea and I love all this feed back.

Now for everyone who wants a little more protection for their power cords, got a little gift for ya. I'll edit this into the post as well.

Armored Power Cord
An armored cord weighs 0.3lbs and costs $42.30 per yard of length.

It gives DR5/2*† at TL8, DR12/4*† at TL9, DR18/6*† TL10, DR 24/8*† at TL11 and DR30* at TL12.

*Flexible

†The higher DR value protects against piercing and cutting damage, the lower value protects all other damage.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #74
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
For long thin objects Basic set says to use the smallest dimension for size modifier (see pg. 550) though personally I think that -2SM makes more sense.
Ah, I was going off the SM rules from Characters. That detail was glossed over there. I think SM -12 makes sense for thrusting attacks where you are trying to stab the cable. SM -2 seems more realistic for swinging attacks. I'm tempted to use SM -12 but apply a +10 TDM for swinging at the cable in melee combat.

As to the armored power cable, I don't think it would be necessary if the cable has SM -12. Most combatants just wouldn't be able to hit the cable at that penalty. On the other hand, it only increases the cost by about $40 to $60. At TL 8+, anyone who could afford the Force Zweihänder could trivially afford the armored power cord.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #75
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Ah, I was going off the SM rules from Characters. That detail was glossed over there. I think SM -12 makes sense for thrusting attacks where you are trying to stab the cable. SM -2 seems more realistic for swinging attacks. I'm tempted to use SM -12 but apply a +10 TDM for swinging at the cable in melee combat.
Yeah, it's an easy thing to miss. Given it's location most people would figure it's just realliterating things they already know and just gloss over it not thinking it has new information. Doing what I do has kinda forced me to go over the rules with a fine tooth comb but even with that there are still things I know I've probably glossed over or misinterpreted.

I do like your solution though, a little more paper work but worth it for situations like this.

Quote:
As to the armored power cable, I don't think it would be necessary if the cable has SM -12. Most combatants just wouldn't be able to hit the cable at that penalty. On the other hand, it only increases the cost by about $40 to $60. At TL 8+, anyone who could afford the Force Zweihänder could trivially afford the armored power cord.
This was just me covering all the base since Kalzazz made a request for them. I chose to cover from TL8+ since I wanted my power cord rules to be independent of my Force Sword rules and be GP rules that could be used any time you need to worry about connecting high power sources to equipment.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:23 AM   #76
The_Ryujin

Holy crap, it's ah GURPSday!

Sorry for my slim pickin's this week, I had a severe case of the real worlds which wreaked my originally much bigger plans.

I might take a break from posting next week to give myself a chance to relax and de-stress myself after this one.

But enough of that crap!

Heavy armor keeping you down? Need a tank taken out but just can't wait? Then maybe it's time to bring some HEAT!

Old 10-13-2016, 03:09 AM   #77
Mailanka

Your blog always makes me so happy.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #78
apoc527

Me too. I love this blog. I'd love to see more posts on advanced chemical slugthrowers. Maybe deconstruct and reconstruct ETC and ETK weaponry to the extent that's possible.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #79
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Your blog always makes me so happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Me too. I love this blog. I'd love to see more posts on advanced chemical slugthrowers. Maybe deconstruct and reconstruct ETC and ETK weaponry to the extent that's possible.
Thank you so much guys. This positivity is very appreciated, especially right now heh.

@Mailanka: Needed some HEAT rounds did we? :D

@apoc527: I think I can put that on the to do list. I think David accidentally used the predictions for 2nd gen ETC for the TL9 one when it probably should of been the TL10 version. I think Gen 1 ETC tech is closer to a +P round in terms of power. They should also increase felt recoil and there for the weapons ST stat as well. Of course more then likely for small arms they'll be used to fire a round a the same velocity as modern rounds or only slightly faster and only really use to make the round lighter and smaller.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #80
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
@Mailanka: Needed some HEAT rounds did we? :D
There's a setting, much beloved by some of my players, that's a military space opera (Mass Effect meets Halo). One of the reasons I parked it is that I can only do so much without GURPS Vehicles, especially for this particular genre. The work you do almost always feeds into that. I might be able to pick it up again sooner than later, thanks to you.

Tags
blog, blogs, gurps day