Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #11
Humabout

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Chronic Pain

I like this approach to Sleep afflictions. It is neat and tidy and easily implemented.

Also, I'll +1 Chromic Affliction. I added that to my house rules as soon as you posted it back years ago.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Chronic Oain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I certainly wouldn't complain about +30%, but "Secondary Sleep" wasn't my only point of comparison — Daze, +50% is "Do nothing until something shakes you out of it" — quite similar to having fallen asleep — and Daze is strictly a one-time thing where Drowsiness is persistent.
While this is true, I think there's realistically very little chance, in the typical situations that Drowsiness is being Afflicted on someone, that they'll actually fall asleep in the first place - certainly not in the heat of battle! And even in less-adrenaline-fuelled circumstances, unless the target is a) alone, and b) already inactive, they probably won't fall asleep. Most people would have companions who would just give them a poke and say "Hey, looking like you're drowsing off there. Wake up!". So the element of being taken out of the fight that Sleep or Daze gives just doesn't really seem that significant for Drowsiness, to me.

Quote:
Simply treat a Sleep affliction as "You fall asleep immediately because you are now X hours short on sleep", where X is the duration of the affliction.
I think you'd have to create some conversion between "affliction duration" and "hours of sleep" rather than using the straight numbers, since the default Affliction lasts minutes, and losing minutes of sleep will not make anyone drowsy. It actually takes quite a bit of missed sleep to inflict drowsiness "naturally" - the average GURPS character needs to stay awake for 10 hours past their regular bedtime for drowsiness to be an issue at all.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
While this is true, I think there's realistically very little chance, in the typical situations that Drowsiness is being Afflicted on someone, that they'll actually fall asleep in the first place - certainly not in the heat of battle! And even in less-adrenaline-fuelled circumstances, unless the target is a) alone, and b) already inactive, they probably won't fall asleep. Most people would have companions who would just give them a poke and say "Hey, looking like you're drowsing off there. Wake up!". So the element of being taken out of the fight that Sleep or Daze gives just doesn't really seem that significant for Drowsiness, to me.
And? GURPS is not all about combat. A Drowsy watchstander is certainly a very significant element in any game where you're trying to sneak past them (or the enemy is trying to sneak past you!). As a nod towards speeding up action, though, I certainly would consider ruling that if you Afflict an already-inactive target with Drowsiness, they must immediately make one of those Will rolls to avoid falling asleep, and then as normally every two hours after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I think you'd have to create some conversion between "affliction duration" and "hours of sleep" rather than using the straight numbers, since the default Affliction lasts minutes, and losing minutes of sleep will not make anyone drowsy. It actually takes quite a bit of missed sleep to inflict drowsiness "naturally" - the average GURPS character needs to stay awake for 10 hours past their regular bedtime for drowsiness to be an issue at all.
No, this would be entirely adjacent to the "drowsiness" rules. Consider the following scenarios (assuming Fixed Duration for all of them, e.g., an effective failure by 3):
  • Sleep affliction with standard duration, subject who is fully awake: Subject falls asleep. If he awakens in less than three minutes, it is as if he woke up a few minutes early (can interact with disadvantages).
  • Sleep affliction with Extended Duration ×100, subject who is fully awake: Subject falls asleep. If he awakens in less than five hours, he is missing that much sleep, with all the usual effects. If he's awakened immediately, he suffers the effects of the full five hours of missed sleep.
  • Sleep affliction with Extended Duration ×100, subject is five hours into their usual sleep cycle: Subject remains asleep, and their sleep cycle is reset to as if they had just fallen asleep.
  • Sleep affliction with Extended Duration ×300, subject who is fully awake: Subject falls asleep. If they are awakened in seven hours or less (i.e., eight hours of duration left on the clock) they are immediately treated as staying up too late, as if they had missed an entire night's sleep.

Does that clarify my intentions?
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
while the tendency to fall asleep can simply be treated as Secondary Sleep, +30% (+150% / 5).
As a point of comparison, Nausea gives a tendency to upgrade to Retching.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:30 AM   #15
johndallman
Night Watchman

ShaoCan reported as a spammer: its other post makes that clear.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:07 PM   #16
arandathor

A clarification on a rule. Italics mine:

B126

"Roll against the frequency of appearance for your Chronic Pain once per day. If you roll below this number, you suffer a bout of pain."

Under Frequency of Appearance, it reads:

"Frequency of Appearance
Attack occurs on a roll of 6 or less: x0.5.
Attack occurs on a roll of 9 or less: x1.
Attack occurs on a roll of 12 or less: x2.
Attack occurs on a roll of 15 or less: x3."

My question:

If you are to roll below a 6, 9, 12, or 15, should not the Frequency of Appearance read: Bout occurs on a result less than 6, 9, 12, or 15?

Last edited by arandathor; 07-09-2022 at 10:42 PM.
arandathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:11 AM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

I'm pretty sure that's an oversight in the sentence you quote, and the table is correct.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chronic affliction, chronic pain, disadvantage of the week