Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #61
starslayer

Default Re: How to fight mages as a TL 7 character?

I hearby state that no man shall harvest the power of the atom, and any attempts to do such shall be met with ruin -- Curse uttered by Arcmage Greenpeace-Douchbagus upon the creation of his personal realm.

It could very well be that all matter is normal, atomic forces work normally but if you try to use an atomic weapon, or an RTG, it falls apart, every time. Cause its magic.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #62
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
It could very well be that all matter is normal, atomic forces work normally but if you try to use an atomic weapon, or an RTG, it falls apart, every time. Cause its magic.
It's a reality in which magic works. By definition, physics does not work normally.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #63
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's a reality in which magic works. By definition, physics does not work normally.
Right- I only said all matter was normal and that atomic forces worked normally. I fully agree that where magic works physics does not work in the way that we currently understand it
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #64
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Right- I only said all matter was normal and that atomic forces worked normally.
Working normally includes not being affected by 'magic'.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:42 AM   #65
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Knowing that you can stack enough uranium together would create a nuclear blast was TL6 knowledge. TL7 would be delivery mechanisms more complicated than loading a B-52 with a single bomb, and then hoping they could get far enough away before it went off.
There's a lot more to making a nuke work than just stacking a whole lot of uranium-235 or plutonium-239, and it's pretty clearly TL7 technology. So is a B-52, or even (probably a B-29), let alone a V-2.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #66
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
Also, they don't know how to build a nuke, but they may know about radioactivity at TL5. Late TL5 is when people were figuring that sort of thing out.
The history of the nuclear industry generally would seem to demonstrate that they were still figuring out radiation in TL7 - we were well into the 1950s before messing about with radioactive stuff became unfashionable.
The Colonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #67
Gedrin

IRL they know about radioactivity around 1895. That could be TL5 or 6 depending on what you're judging on. It might even be the discovery that flips the switch to TL6, but it's right around that time.

That said, it's a bit harder for a magic using society to ask the sorts of questions that get them much past that. After all, the Sun is probably just a high mana zone with some sort of essential fire thing happening. Heck, it may actually BE that in such a universe. No one's wondering how you could get that much energy for that long out of burning stuff, as they know how to do it. However, that's somewhat beside the point.

The real point is that I'm not sure how a non-magic using character, without a lot of esoteric knowledge, gets around being foretold by prophesy. You pretty much need some local help to solve the problem. Getting that help is probably doable, since apparently someone already wants him dead. You just need to find someone capable of warding off the Magical Secret Service who also wants to see him dead.

Your next big hurdle would be emergency escape contingency spells.

Big hurdle three is necromancy and the like. We're talking Archmage (capital A), so he might have a bomb shelter for his soul.

If you can hide long enough to attack...
If you can defeat the magic (teleport away, body restoratives) that will reflexively save him...
If you have the means to actually get rid of him (or if the goal is just "simple death")...
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #68
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
IRL they know about radioactivity around 1895. That could be TL5 or 6 depending on what you're judging on. It might even be the discovery that flips the switch to TL6, but it's right around that time.

That said, it's a bit harder for a magic using society to ask the sorts of questions that get them much past that. After all, the Sun is probably just a high mana zone with some sort of essential fire thing happening. Heck, it may actually BE that in such a universe. No one's wondering how you could get that much energy for that long out of burning stuff, as they know how to do it. However, that's somewhat beside the point.

The real point is that I'm not sure how a non-magic using character, without a lot of esoteric knowledge, gets around being foretold by prophesy. You pretty much need some local help to solve the problem. Getting that help is probably doable, since apparently someone already wants him dead. You just need to find someone capable of warding off the Magical Secret Service who also wants to see him dead.

Your next big hurdle would be emergency escape contingency spells.

Big hurdle three is necromancy and the like. We're talking Archmage (capital A), so he might have a bomb shelter for his soul.

If you can hide long enough to attack...
If you can defeat the magic (teleport away, body restoratives) that will reflexively save him...
If you have the means to actually get rid of him (or if the goal is just "simple death")...
My world dose have some magic (although I am not a mage, I did not wan't to play a mage) And I believe my arrival has been obscured by the fact they have a barrier that separates world i'm going to from the rest of everything else. I'm actually going in to destroy that, and make sure it dose not get rebuilt
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #69
Kfireblade

Will reverse missile make a guided missile hit me? or will it just loop around until it reaches max range and fall?
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #70
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Will reverse missile make a guided missile hit me? or will it just loop around until it reaches max range and fall?
Reverse missile probably doesn't work on guided projectiles.

Tags
guns, mages, magic, tl 7, vehicles