Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Seneschal

Default [HT] Separating the recoil management thingy from the KRISS Vector

Having recently acquired Gunplay and Military Sci-Fi, I was really intrigued with the add-on- and software-heavy approach to infantry combat, so I thought I'd apply a grimy, realistic, "used future" switch to my sci-fi campaign setting. More precisely, I'm aiming for a "shooting an AK-47...with HUD link, targeting programs, gestalt ammo, at targets tagged by a drone flying overhead"-kind of style. That way, I can use High-Tech as a resource and just pimp the guns with TL 9-10 features.

The Super V system seems to be just that kind of late TL8 gadget that doesn't require any radical technological shifts, but still makes the Vector look, handle and perform in a novel and futuristic way. While browsing DeviantArt for inspiration, I came across a few gun concepts that glued a Vector-like box onto all sorts of rifles and pistols, so I thought it would make for subtly futuristic guns that still retained manageable TL8 damage figures. However, the system is mushed into the Vector's stats in Tactical Shooting. I'm not sure how to reverse-engineer it, but comparing it to other .45 guns and SMGs leads me to believe it works something like this:
  • -1 Rcl, -1 MinST - Pistols in .45 ACP have Rcl 3, MinST 10, but the H&K UMP has Rcl 2, MinST 8 - I'm guessing that's because of the stock. So, if those are the stats for a regular .45 ACP long arm, then the Super V lowers Rcl (shot spread/muzzle flip) and MinST (felt recoil/heft) by 1. The Vector has Rcl 1, MinST 7, and the above fits with what the system purports to do.
  • +1 Bulk - The Vector is only 40-60 cm long, for which the P90 gets Bulk-3, while the Vector has Bulk-4*. The boxiness probably doesn't help.
  • Shorter barrel - since the Super V system makes the bolt dip downwards, it has to be located behind the magazine. This means the chamber is way up in front, and you don't get the same barrel length as for other SMGs of comparable size. It probably also won't fit inside the stock of a bullpup weapon (assumptions, assumptions, but I'd go with this for balance purposes - bullpups already benefit a lot from their downsides not showing up in GURPS resolution).
  • Limited to certain cartridges? - Supposedly, TDI went with the .45 ACP just to prove their Super V system can tame even rounds that big. But it's not that much of a bruiser-cartridge. Maybe the .45's sluggish speed and low pressure worked in their favor. Anyone here who knows how this kind of recoil-manager would fare with high-speed rifle rounds?
  • Weight, $ - The whole modification would probably add a bit of weight (not a lot - the Vector is up there with most SMGs, even a bit lighter than average) and cost a few hundred $.

Alternatively, I thought of maybe making the whole system behave like a compensator - i.e., it doesn't lower Rcl, it adds a bonus to Guns (+1? +2?) when shot in bursts or at RoF 4+. This would make it so that there aren't two disparate systems for reducing bullet spread; the Super V would be in the same category as compensators, muzzle weights and ports.

So, how does that look? I kinda got all my info on the system from youtube, so who knows if the gun behaves like that in real life. I appreciate any corrections.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, high-tech, modern firepower, tactical shooting