Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-03-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default Questioning the [Subforum] Rules?

Since we 'not allowed' to discuss things from GURPS outside the remit of DFRPG... how would one discuss running something I]Expedition to the Barrier Peaks[/I] in DFRPG? Or as I tend to, mashing it up with Gamma World?

Is it simply safer to put such discussions over in the general GURPS subforum? Or can it be held here with warnings and "these skills/items/rules aren't in DFRPG"?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:27 AM   #2
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Questioning the [Subforum] Rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Is it simply safer to put such discussions over in the general GURPS subforum.
I believe that is the preference, yes. We don't want to confuse new arrivals with mixing up the two sets. As per this post.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

If you want to discuss something that builds on or adds house rules to the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, that's fine! All games get modded and tweaked right out of the gate – it's what gamers do.

Please do so in a way that isn't essentially a GURPS discussion, however. For instance, if you want to talk about rayguns, wonderful – but, "We'll need a Raygun skill, and Crossbow is DX/E, so let's call Raygun a DX/E skill as well," would be preferable to, "We'll need Beam Weapons (Pistol)." Now if you want to word it as, "We'll need a skill for rayguns, which should be DX/E like Crossbow; let's call it Beam Weapons," I could live with it.

Needless to say, just name-dropping GURPS concepts sans explanation (e.g., offering a template filled with traits not found in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game) would be bad. Plonking down references to GURPS supplements by page and title would be equally troublesome. And as we're not going to soften our other forums rules against pasting text from our products here, in practice this means that when you add mods that are really just GURPS rules, you're going to be explaining them in your own words.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
If you want to discuss something that builds on or adds house rules to the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, that's fine! All games get modded and tweaked right out of the gate – it's what gamers do.
Copy. I was hoping this was the case.

Quote:
Please do so in a way that isn't essentially a GURPS discussion, however. For instance, if you want to talk about rayguns, wonderful – but, "We'll need a Raygun skill, and Crossbow is DX/E, so let's call Raygun a DX/E skill as well," would be preferable to, "We'll need Beam Weapons (Pistol)." Now if you want to word it as, "We'll need a skill for rayguns, which should be DX/E like Crossbow; let's call it Beam Weapons," I could live with it.
I'd prefer the first example as well. Thanks!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
If you want to discuss something that builds on or adds house rules to the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, that's fine! (. . .) Plonking down references to GURPS supplements by page and title would be equally troublesome.
I have to say perhaps I have done a bit of this by referring to some GURPS title along with the page number (in another comment I also mentioned a Hero System sourcebook). However it has been for "fluff" instead of rules, but if that's also a problem of some sort just tell me, please.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I have to say perhaps I have done a bit of this by referring to some GURPS title along with the page number (in another comment I also mentioned a Hero System sourcebook). However it has been for "fluff" instead of rules, but if that's also a problem of some sort just tell me, please.
No, it's fine. And really, we don't care overly much about people mentioning the GURPS DF line, drawing comparisons, asking about differences, etc. But the one thing we really don't want is this forum getting filled up with incredibly complex builds and rules that make new visitors here think they need to do homework to play this game.

Really, that could be considered the distillation of that rule: "Don't scare off the newcomers." :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
demonsbane

Hi PK,

I think I understood what Kromm said above, but still I asked just in case.
Thank you very much for the clarification.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote