Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Dwarves of the Shielded-Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Not if it's a SM -1 Pollhammer. : )

The problem with this is, I don't think you can use a polearm while holding a shield.. You might need to add spear, or perhaps a Perk that allows the Pollhammer to be used 1-handed for thrusting attacks.
I'm not a GURPS weapons expert, so the State for a SM-1 pollhammer both normaling and dualing would be appracted.

I wouase use the MA Pollaxe enteres sugges of using the dueling halberd stats which was reach 1, 2 and had thrust buw watping the cut for cr.

So I was envisioning the spear use. so adding Spear and Form Mastery (Dualing Pollaxe) perk ?

But gve they were using crossbows too, I was envisioning the Large Shield ther you could put down and they would stand on their own while you hid behind them to reload and fire.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
aesir23

according to Low Tech Companion 2, you should multiply the min ST and damage bonus by 0.8, weight by 0.64, and reach by 0.9.

I agree, Spear and Form Mastery should be fine, and I like the idea of standing shields for the crossbowmen.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
according to Low Tech Companion 2, you should multiply the min ST and damage bonus by 0.8, weight by 0.64, and reach by 0.9.

I agree, Spear and Form Mastery should be fine, and I like the idea of standing shields for the crossbowmen.
um how do you handed the rounding especially on reach?

SM -1 Pollhammer sw+3 cr Reach 2,3* Parry 0U Weight 6.4 Min ST 10

SM -1 Dualng Pollhammer sw+3 cr, sw+2 imp, thr+2 imp Reach 1,2* Parry 0U Weight 6.4 Min ST 10 ?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
aesir23

round fractions up. Reach 0.5 or lower becomes C.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
aesir23

The book admits that this scaling isn't realistic. These aren't scaled by length, but rather by the average ST of SM-1 humanoids.

For a 1/2 sized polearm, you'd scale all the way down to SM -3.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
round fractions up. Reach 0.5 or lower becomes C.
so

SM -1 Pollhammer sw+4 (3.2) cr Reach 2,3* Parry 0U Weight 7 (6.4) Min ST 10 (9.6)

SM -1 Dualng Pollhammer sw+4 (3.2) cr, sw+3 (2.4) imp, thr+3 (2.4) imp Reach 1,2* Parry 0U Weight 7 (6.4) Min ST 10 (9.6) ?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
jason taylor

Underground combat wasn't a big part of warfare in the pre-gunpowder era. It isn't now for that matter. The best analogue would be urban warfare as it takes place in buildings. But most descriptions of that seem to be post-1900. For some reason it is hard to find famous examples of cities fighting on once the walls were breached. That would make sense if it was to avoid a sack, but often sacks weren't resisted when they could well have. The best example I can think of of pre-1900 urban warfare was Sarragossa. In any case it is hard to think of example's with medieval weapons.

As I said, urban warfare is the closest analogue. Actual underground warfare is usually an addendum to siege warfare and as such has been known for ages. But this form wouldn't be as elaborate as it would be if dwarves actually existed.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
so

SM -1 Pollhammer sw+4 (3.2) cr Reach 2,3* Parry 0U Weight 7 (6.4) Min ST 10 (9.6)

SM -1 Dualng Pollhammer sw+4 (3.2) cr, sw+3 (2.4) imp, thr+3 (2.4) imp Reach 1,2* Parry 0U Weight 7 (6.4) Min ST 10 (9.6) ?
Sorry, I was mistaken. Round fractions of .5+ up. Drop lower fractions.

Also you don't have to round weight at all.

In other words, you were right in your previous post.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Racmáistir (Deep Dwarf) [22]

Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10]; HT +1 [10].
Secondary Charactristics Modifiers: SM -1; Will+1 [5].
Advantages: Dark Vision(Color) [30]; Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Resistant to Poison (+3) [5]; Rock Brother 1 [10]
Features: May have additional levels of Rock Brother talent.
Disadvantages: Fanaticism (Clan) [-15] ;Hidebound [-5]; Intolerance (Racdeartháir) [-5]; Light Sentitvity 5 [-5] Stubbornness [-5]; Xenophobia [-15].

Ardcheannascloch [5]

Skills:Crossbow, Polearm, Savoir-Faire (Dojo), Shield.
Techniques: Disarming (Polearm); Feint (Polearm); Hook (Polearm); Retain Weapon (Polearm); Sweep (Polearm); Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Leg). Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Vitals); Targeted Attack (Polearm Thrust/Vitals).
Cinematic Skills: Breaking Blow; Immovable Stance; Kiai; Power Blow.
Cinematic Techniques: Timed Defense (Polearm)
Perks: Grip Mastery (Polehammer or Dualing Polehammer); Shield-Wall Training; Sure-Footed (Uneven); Teamwork (Ardcheannascloch).

Optional Traits
Advantages: Combat Reflexes; Fit.
Skills: Axe/Mace; Tactics.

The Front line uses large shield/dueling pollhammer or crossbow with the second and third rank using the longer pollhammers.

So Jason, what changes would you make to the style to fit urban combat ?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Racmáistir (Deep Dwarf) [22]

Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10]; HT +1 [10].
Secondary Charactristics Modifiers: SM -1; Will+1 [5].
Advantages: Dark Vision(Color) [30]; Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Resistant to Poison (+3) [5]; Rock Brother 1 [10]
Features: May have additional levels of Rock Brother talent.
Disadvantages: Fanaticism (Clan) [-15] ;Hidebound [-5]; Intolerance (Racdeartháir) [-5]; Light Sentitvity 5 [-5] Stubbornness [-5]; Xenophobia [-15].

Ardcheannascloch [5]

Skills:Crossbow, Polearm, Savoir-Faire (Dojo), Shield.
Techniques: Disarming (Polearm); Feint (Polearm); Hook (Polearm); Retain Weapon (Polearm); Sweep (Polearm); Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Leg). Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Vitals); Targeted Attack (Polearm Thrust/Vitals).
Cinematic Skills: Breaking Blow; Immovable Stance; Kiai; Power Blow.
Cinematic Techniques: Timed Defense (Polearm)
Perks: Grip Mastery (Polehammer or Dualing Polehammer); Shield-Wall Training; Sure-Footed (Uneven); Teamwork (Ardcheannascloch).

Optional Traits
Advantages: Combat Reflexes; Fit.
Skills: Axe/Mace; Tactics.

The Front line uses large shield/dueling pollhammer or crossbow with the second and third rank using the longer pollhammers.

So Jason, what changes would you make to the style to fit urban combat ?
I meant urban warfare as an analogue to fighting in dwarf caves, because there is no other analogue I could think of to dwarfish cave fighting(sapping, as done by humans, usually doesn't involve such large and complex caves as are traditionally described; it is enough to get under fortifications or prevent same).

In an underground fight of this kind, shield-walls would not be at a premium unless passages were very wide. Hearing would(to sense a sap made by the enemy around the passage you are in), digging(to get around a blocked passage or whatever). Traps certainly would as would be an important skill.
Three-d sense might be important in such a situation. Climbing would. Actually it might be good to ask if anyone here is a spelunker or knows one?

Tags
dwarf, dwarves, fantasy, racial template, racial templates, shielded-lands