Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Keithus

Default Combine Cybertank TOE

A few months ago there was a thread on the Ogre FaceBook page asking about TOEs or OOBs for large units involving multiple Ogres. I couldn't remember where I'd seen something like that, but finally dug up David Morse's old but excellent Command Post Gamma site in the Wayback Machine.

I give you his "1st Dinochrome Brigade" story and TOE (as long as SJG approves and leaves this link up).

http://web.archive.org/web/200707131...inochrome.html
Keithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
ianargent

Default Re: Combine Cybertank TOE

Given their relative size (both physical and as unit-of-maneuver), a naval-esque TOE might be more appropriate; and the somewhat more ad-hoc nature of naval force organizations reflects how Ogres were deployed in the Last War.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squadron_(naval) for some discussion as to the organization of naval vessels.

So, you might have a Fleet of Ogres consisting of all the Ogres in-theater, which consists of several Squadrons of Ogres, each assigned to a Front or Zone. Each Squadron breaks down into Divisions or Flotillas of Ogres for adminstration, but are organized as Task Forces on an ad-hoc basis for operations in combat.

(Traditionally, a division of ships is a pair of capital ships or a small number of lighter types)

If the Generals don't like the terminology, they can search and replace for more army-sounding terms. And, there's a phrase kicking around my mind, that goes something like "A company is a unit appropriate for a captain to command." I'd expect that all but the smallest Ogres would be considered, individually, as a "company" level unit, who generally operate as the core of a Combat Team in combat ops. Administratively, they might be grouped into a Battalion on each Front, and each theater administers their Ogres as a Division.

All things considered, though, I doubt there was anything like a standard "TOE" for anything Ogre-related.
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Combine Cybertank TOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
Given their relative size (both physical and as unit-of-maneuver), a naval-esque TOE might be more appropriate; and the somewhat more ad-hoc nature of naval force organizations reflects how Ogres were deployed in the Last War.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squadron_(naval) for some discussion as to the organization of naval vessels.

So, you might have a Fleet of Ogres consisting of all the Ogres in-theater, which consists of several Squadrons of Ogres, each assigned to a Front or Zone. Each Squadron breaks down into Divisions or Flotillas of Ogres for adminstration, but are organized as Task Forces on an ad-hoc basis for operations in combat.

(Traditionally, a division of ships is a pair of capital ships or a small number of lighter types)

If the Generals don't like the terminology, they can search and replace for more army-sounding terms. And, there's a phrase kicking around my mind, that goes something like "A company is a unit appropriate for a captain to command." I'd expect that all but the smallest Ogres would be considered, individually, as a "company" level unit, who generally operate as the core of a Combat Team in combat ops. Administratively, they might be grouped into a Battalion on each Front, and each theater administers their Ogres as a Division.

All things considered, though, I doubt there was anything like a standard "TOE" for anything Ogre-related.
I really like that...sounds similar to a race team. The car does all the work but there's a circus of support staff that follow them around "on-location", and even more support capabilities "back home".

Even militarily, it makes sense...a huge, permanent "repair and refit" base for Ogres would be a dangerous thing to assault, but would cripple an entire theater if it's lost. Not sure if either side is arrogant enough to rely on one of those, doubly so after the fall of Sheffield.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote