Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #21
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
Another question: Is the DFRPG core box going to get any distribution? I know that it’s being done under the Warehouse23 account and that’s supposed to be for products being sold directly by SJ Games, but I have a player in my group that doesn’t buy things outside of the FLGS. If this isn’t going to be sold into the retail channel, I want to let him know so he can back the KS.
We'll make final decisions after the Kickstarter campaign comes to a close. Regardless of what happens with the box set, Monsters 2 will not be a distribution release.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:46 AM   #22
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
It would also promote the game with new audiences.

Reactions?
It wouldn't
Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #23
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
It wouldn't
How would having physical copies of these texts in game stores fail to expose the game to new audiences? You can argue that it might not be worth the investment of time or money because the audiences are small, but to simply say "It wouldn't." is clearly wrong. I may have started this thread with a faulty premise but my premise had plausibly.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-17-2019, 12:55 AM   #24
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
How would having physical copies of these texts in game stores fail to expose the game to new audiences? y.
You didn’t write that though did you.

You wrote about editing the existing books into hardbacks. You didn’t even mention game stores.

Regardless there are physical copies of GURPS in game stores near me. How would another hardback qualitively add to that?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #25
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
You didn’t write that though did you.

You wrote about editing the existing books into hardbacks. You didn’t even mention game stores.

Regardless there are physical copies of GURPS in game stores near me. How would another hardback qualitatively add to that?
Your simple total negation in your earlier post was what I responded to. You seem rather harshly aggressive. Do you think jumping down my throat for little or no reason virtuous?

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #26
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Knock it off, both of you. If you can’t have a calm conversation, put each other on your Ignore Lists.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 03-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #27
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Knock it off, both of you. If you can’t have a calm conversation, put each other on your Ignore Lists.
Sorry, I meant no pain to others.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #28
namada

If hardcovers (or even compiled softcovers, for that matter) were ever considered, I'd like to throw my 2 cents into the ring and say that I'd issue 3 of them: DFRPG Core Rulebook, DFRPG GM's Companion, and DFRPG Adventures.

The compilation of existing material could be accomplished much like the existing DFRPG Companion, with its A-B-C section notations, which are quite easy to use, IMO. I like how that compilation was handled.

DFRPG Core Rulebook:
Adventurers - A
Exploits - B
Spells - C

DFRPG GM's Companion:
Traps - A
Magic Items - B
Monsters - C

DFRPG Adventures:
I Smell A Rat - A
Against the Rat-Men - B

Alternatively, since the DFRPG Companion is already for sale through Amazon's Createspace - why not sell softcovers of the other 4 books currently in the boxed set that way? Who really needs a giant hardcover when you could pick up smaller, cheaper DFRPG Adventurers, DFRPG Exploits, DFRPG Spells, DFRPG I Smell A Rat, & DFRPG Companion?

Not that I wouldn't buy the hardcover (or softcover) compilations despite the fact that I just bought the boxed set (I'd just resell that.) ;)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #29
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post

DFRPG Adventures:
I Smell A Rat - A
Against the Rat-Men - B
By the time the upcoming Kickstarter is finished, the Nordlond Saga will contain

Hall of Judgment (128 pages)
The Citadel at Norðvorn (128 pages)
The Dragons of Rosgarth (64 or 80 pages)
Forest's End (64 or 80 pages)

That's about 380-420 pages of material, roughly equally divided into "places to be" and "adventures to do," and even if it's not evenly divided, there's certainly enough to break into two books of substantial volume.

Would a hardback recompilation be of interest? I've been very hard-focused on the 8x10 format softcover for maximum "put it in the box" ability.

A book of that size would not be cheap. In order to make it affordable I'd likely need to secure orders for a minimum of 750 PHYSICAL copies of each book, which would likely mean this re-issue of existing material would also have to be my best campaign ever.

I'm honestly curious as to whether this would be popular enough, with y'all and/or retail stores, to hit that goal. Prior experience says "unlikely."

But I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #30
namada

To me personally, no because I generally have little interest in prepared settings or adventures, so sorry but you're not offering the core rules, are you? ;)

One looks at D&D and sees:
Player's Handbook
DM's Guide
Monster Manual

If one could only look at DFRPG that way, instead of comparing it to the Beginner's set for D&D, or Beginner's set for Pathfinder, because you know, to the average gamer, it's something in a box for some system they don't know, so why bother...

If I could go to the game table and simply ignore the Rat Adventures entirely, while simultaneously telling my player's they only needed one of the two hardcovers (or softcovers) to play 'D&D, but with the GURPS ruleset,' that would be something worthwhile to me, as a compilation. I'd resell the boxed set of DFRPG for that.
Closed Thread