Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 AM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: Alternate XP progression schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Greater Magic Item Creation requires IQ 20, and DX 15 to succeed most weeks, plus ST 8 is 43 attribute points plus one spell.

That's 102900 XP. At 600 XP per year that's 171.5 years. With a 2% chance of death each month (Assuming youth potions, I guess?) that's one in 10^19 of wizards which are only 1 in 500 of the population.
This is actually very interesting... the numbers you quote come from the new RAW so this is yet another example of unintended consequences from the much slowed XP progression found in the new ITL. My proposed schedule, on the other hand, is much more reasonable.
;)

Where does the 600 XP per year come from, though?
Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #22
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
This is actually very interesting... the numbers you quote come from the new RAW so this is yet another example of unintended consequences from the much slowed XP progression found in the new ITL. My proposed schedule, on the other hand, is much more reasonable.
;)

Where does the 600 XP per year come from, though?
These numbers are based on the completely _make-believe_ notion that the wizard must have DX15.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #23
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
These numbers are based on the completely _make-believe_ notion that the wizard must have DX15.
I wouldn't say that, but the numbers are based on several assumptions. TBH, though, I believe the actual RAW cost for a PC wizard could be even higher than hcobb predicts since they probably would not be singularly focused on the narrow goal of being able to create greater magic items and nothing else. Conversely, I also think a typical PC wizard would not be limited to earning only 600 XP per year. I have no idea what would be normal for an NPC wizard, though.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #24
hcobb

Quote:
I also think a typical PC wizard would not be limited to earning only 600 XP per year. I have no idea what would be normal for an NPC wizard, though.
An average adventure gives 50 XP and do one a month for 600 XP a year.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #25
platimus

Quote:
I wouldn't say that, but the numbers are based on several assumptions. TBH, though, I believe the actual RAW cost for a PC wizard could be even higher than hcobb predicts since they probably would not be singularly focused on the narrow goal of being able to create greater magic items and nothing else. Conversely, I also think a typical PC wizard would not be limited to earning only 600 XP per year. I have no idea what would be normal for an NPC wizard, though.
I agree. The costs could be higher if the wizard wasn't planning for it. I also agree that said wizard could earn more than 600XP per year. That's my whole point. Hcobb is subjectively cherry-picking.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #26
platimus

Quote:
ITL p45
"A rate of 25 to 100 experience points per player per
session will be appropriate for most campaigns, but this,
again, is a GM call."

"session" does not equal "adventure"

average per session would be 75

one session a month would be 900XP per year.

Last edited by platimus; 10-19-2018 at 08:30 AM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #27
TippetsTX

Quote:
TBH, I find this problematic as well whether you are looking at XP progression by RAW or even my revised schedule. The premise that the rate at which a PC can earn XP remains flat over the course of their adventuring career is flawed IMO.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #28
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
one session a month would be 900XP per year.
Only 114 years of adventuring then. No wonder wizards have such long beards.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #29
platimus

Quote:
114 years? Only because you are house-ruling it that way. Since we are picking random numbers out of the air, I will claim that it only takes 50 years - just because I have 50 cents in my pocket right now.

Last edited by platimus; 10-19-2018 at 09:07 AM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #30
TippetsTX

Quote:
Or maybe all greater magic items are made by Elves who can afford to invest 100+ years in the necessary training?
;)