Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
beautyandnotthebeast

Default Mass Teleportation

So you can teleport somebody else with an affliction, but how would you go about teleporting large groups of people. I've got an idea for a character who likes tormenting her victims in several ways, including teleporting her, her henchmen and her victims around while chasing them.

So I need a way of being able to teleport large groups (I'd say a ton is a safe estimate for max weight needed) instantly while everybody is running, without needing to know exactly where she's going, choosing how far everybody is from each other when teleporting (since that would ruin the chase if she teleported next to them, and if she catches them too quickly, she might want to give them a bit more room to keep things going longer) and a way of having the choice to prevent the teleportation if one or more of the victims where able to somehow resist her teleportation, in a way that doesn't let the victims know they have been teleported (she prefers to do this in her castle, and since most victims are running away they are unlikely to notice differences between similar looking corridors). But I can't figure out exactly what would be needed to do all that.

Last edited by beautyandnotthebeast; 03-27-2023 at 02:58 PM.
beautyandnotthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:19 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Mass Teleportation

This is doable but rather expensive.
Tunneling would cover everyone who ran through the portal. I would say you need No Signature and Cosmic, Invisible Porta, +50%. Since this is intended for hallways you do not need much Area Effect and base duration might be enough.

Affliction with Area Effect covers a group, you'll need more Area Effect since your trying to cover a hall length.

Lastly, probably the most expensive build would be teleporting themselves and an entire group. That takes Warp with Affects Others, Forcefield, and enough Area Effect.

You might go with Accessibility, all or nothing which I would peg higher for Affliction than the warp bubble build.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:33 PM   #3
beautyandnotthebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
This is doable but rather expensive.
Tunneling would cover everyone who ran through the portal. I would say you need No Signature and Cosmic, Invisible Porta, +50%. Since this is intended for hallways you do not need much Area Effect and base duration might be enough.
I never thought of portals.
An invisible one is a great idea.

Quote:
Affliction with Area Effect covers a group, you'll need more Area Effect since your trying to cover a hall length.

Lastly, probably the most expensive build would be teleporting themselves and an entire group. That takes Warp with Affects Others, Forcefield, and enough Area Effect.

You might go with Accessibility, all or nothing which I would peg higher for Affliction than the warp bubble build.
Would Warp with Affects Others work on unwilling targets?
And what about the weight limit if portals aren't used?

Last edited by beautyandnotthebeast; 03-27-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:12 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyandnotthebeast View Post
I never thought of portals.
An invisible one is a great idea.

Would Warp with Affects Others work on unwilling targets?
And what about the weight limit if portals aren't used?
Thats a little murky.
With it based on Affects Others though my interpertation is each individual covers themselves. You will still need to increase the carrying capacity so they arrive with equipment but you wont need to base who goes based on how much YOU can lift.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-27-2023, 05:37 PM   #5
whswhs

Another option, discussed in GURPS Supers, is to have Teleport with the load you can move based on your Will rather than your ST. Then you buy the Super-Effort modifier for your Will and you can will to take a whole lot of people along with you.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:46 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Another option, discussed in GURPS Supers, is to have Teleport with the load you can move based on your Will rather than your ST. Then you buy the Super-Effort modifier for your Will and you can will to take a whole lot of people along with you.
Yes but I skipped it as it wont do what the op requested. They are wanting something that works with chasing people and that would require touching everyone to be moved.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-28-2023, 02:59 PM   #7
beautyandnotthebeast

Quote:
Thats a little murky.
With it based on Affects Others though my interpertation is each individual covers themselves. You will still need to increase the carrying capacity so they arrive with equipment but you wont need to base who goes based on how much YOU can lift.
Okay.
If I don't use a portal, would Compartmentalized Mind allow the ability to change the distances between people when teleporting (for extending the chase, or to mess with her victims heads by shuffling them around, etc).
Old 03-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Okay.
If I don't use a portal, would Compartmentalized Mind allow the ability to change the distances between people when teleporting (for extending the chase, or to mess with her victims heads by shuffling them around, etc).
The GM would have to determine that the Teleport is a Mental ability which is likely but no guarantee. I think your the GM though right?
Compartmentalized Mind lets you do multiple mental actions a turn so if it is defined as mental (like psychic or maybe magic) then yes. However, you will want to add Selective Effect so you can exclude certain people from the teleport and catch them with a separate one so you can move them a different distance.
Also a good ability to just put people in different rooms or halls for some fun.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-28-2023, 03:41 PM   #9
beautyandnotthebeast

Quote:
The GM would have to determine that the Teleport is a Mental ability which is likely but no guarantee. I think your the GM though right?
Compartmentalized Mind lets you do multiple mental actions a turn so if it is defined as mental (like psychic or maybe magic) then yes. However, you will want to add Selective Effect so you can exclude certain people from the teleport and catch them with a separate one so you can move them a different distance.
Also a good ability to just put people in different rooms or halls for some fun.
Ah okay.
Would you be able to use Warp multiple times at the same time with Compartmentalized Mind?
As if so, I think that would work.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:46 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Ah okay.
Would you be able to use Warp multiple times at the same time with Compartmentalized Mind?
As if so, I think that would work.
Yep, as long as its mental. CM gets you extra Concentrates which can be used to cast spells or use mental powers.
My GURPS Wiki entries