Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-20-2023, 06:24 PM   #1
DeDiceManCometh

Default Suggestion for new licensing and fan contribution category

I think VTTs have become such a robust thing-unto-themselves that they transcend just being considered "software" or "apps." Alain should brainstorm with Phil and come up with a coherent, distinct VTT policy for (a) Assets (art, text) and (b) rules implementations (scripting, ruleset configuration files).

It really has evolved into a whole different animal than, say, character creation apps, or social media platforms (remember webring?).

Just saying.

Peace,
DeDicemanCometh
Old 02-20-2023, 07:56 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Suggestion for new licensing and fan contribution category

As they are made and run by different companies, each with their own license and use terms this can get pretty tangled too.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
baakyocalder

Reported justinsmith23 post as spam.

The comments of the DeDiceManCometh bear consideration; we want games to be fun but we must also protect the intellectual work of humans.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:57 PM   #4
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDiceManCometh View Post
It really has evolved into a whole different animal than, say, character creation apps, or social media platforms (remember webring?).
VTTs were how my group kept gaming during the covid shutdowns. They aren't the same as playing face-to-face, but they can be useful when that isn't possible.

The usual arrangement seems to be an app, and various game-specific plug-in modules.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:18 PM   #5
Frostk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDiceManCometh View Post
I think VTTs have become such a robust thing-unto-themselves that they transcend just being considered "software" or "apps." Alain should brainstorm with Phil and come up with a coherent, distinct VTT policy for (a) Assets (art, text) and (b) rules implementations (scripting, ruleset configuration files).

Just saying.

Peace,
DeDicemanCometh
Virtual Tabletop Tools (VTTs) have indeed grown into something more than just typical software or apps. They're a whole ecosystem on their own. Alain and Phil should definitely put their heads together and develop a clear policy for assets and rules implementation within VTTs. It's a unique category, quite different from character creation apps or social media platforms, as you mentioned. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Frostk11 is offline   Reply With Quote